90-110 conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: which 97 D90 to convert?
Green 97 SW 11 31.43%
Red 97 SW 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

90-110 conversion

I've got two 97 SW D90s and want to convert one to a 110 and sell the other. Tell me which one and why.

1)97 Green SW 45k original miles, dealer maintained 3 owner, garage kept...very nice condition

or

2)97 Red SW 152K miles, norhtern truck with some corrosion, runs well.

110 will be green either way and fairly stock with galvy frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The white one. Its trashed.

Sell me the green one cheap!

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:34 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I think you should convert the Red SW and sell the Green one to Pendy. Obviously you'll get more for the Green one than the Red one, mileage. Since you're changing the color to green, I assume you would repaint the entire truck regardless, and not attempt to match the existing, so color isnt a factor. Since you plan to convert the truck, you can address the corrosion issues. The extra cash you will make on the Green D90 can contribute to making a rock solid 110!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Covert red.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Why convert one anyway? You could sell both and easily buy a '93 NAS 110. Then you get the roll cage and other goodies and it will always have a better resale value. Just my $.02
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

97 Red SW 152K miles
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
You planning on a 3 door or 5 door 110?
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Why convert one anyway? You could sell both and easily buy a '93 NAS 110. Then you get the roll cage and other goodies and it will always have a better resale value. Just my $.02
That's an even better idea! I vote for option 3.
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

My original plan as most of you have suggested was to convert the red one, I have less in it I can get more for the green one. I even thought about selling one and buying a 93 110 as Stmpede suggested but I want an auto, the 97 is four years newer, ect(the cage is taken care of). Making any mods to a 93 110 would detract from it's value in my opinion (assuming you are talking low mileage rust free stock vehicle).

At this point I am fairly sure I'll convert the green one to a five door mainly because I think any difference I save on the front end will be negated with repairs/unreliability on the higher mileage truck as I keep it over the years. The parts I won't need should be worth more and I won't have to deal with much if any corrosion issues. I also think a paint job would be easier/cleaner over the same color assuming not everthing has to come out of the engine bay. I think I can wind up with a like new 110 with little more than some body/interior parts, paint and galvy frame.

Pendy, last time I wheeled with you you ended up on your lid...I'm not sure this truck is for you bro! One man's trashed is another man's treasure.

Tis
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Build the red one. Use the extra 10K from selling the grn one for a Cummins 4bt swap so you can tow your white D90
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If neither are salvage title, sell both, buy a D110 and have a clean title for it (not a D90 title for a 110). Makes everything from insurance to resale better. If you must convert one, convert the trashed high mileage one.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Having done this, you are basically only going to use the bulkhead, front clip, engine, transmission, transfer case, and front axle. The rest (3 or 5 door or double cab you have to source from around the world. It is your vehicle, it will be unique, and you will be proud of it, so do it with the best parts you have.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Another shameless plug! I know of a D110 that is mechanically excellent, but needs a little rust repair and has a lot of goodies on it. It is a long story to be sure, but it is being advertised for $41,000 I think. IMO it is worth it as you could spend a couple thousand at a body shop and have the rust repaired, then swap the trans out of one of yours and call it a day! It is number 363 and if anyone is interested I can tell you all about it. It is owned by a friend of mine who has been sort of nanchalantly selling it for the last few months. I don't think it is currently advertised, but I am happy to chat about it if you're interested. Maybe even work out a trade! BTW, I've got a few pics too!
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If you are inclined and have the time, building one is superior to buying a '93. My friend has a '93 D110 - never out of Texas - no rust issues - no accidents - but if it were mine I would do a ground up restoration - it just needs it at this point. Rode hard and put up wet a little too often. Putting one together - you basically end up with a new vehicle.
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I agree with you Chris. It seems that even if I bought a 93 I would have some issues to address in addition to the modifications like the auto; when you look at it that way why drive the cost basis up with a 93 to start with?

On the other hand one thing that keeps nagging me about tearing the green one down is that growing up I had a friend who's dad had a mint 1983 FJ40 and he wouldn't let his son do anything to modify it. Today I would love to have an unrestored mint 83 FJ40 like that one; I'm wondering if I'll feel this way about this truck in ten years and wish I had kept it bone stock/original (sounds funny coming from a guy with ford 9" axles under the white 90 doesn't it!)

BTW- keep the feedback coming, it is gving me some good perspective.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would do the red one. What you want to do is galvanize the bulkhead and leave it galvanized. Also, I would use a proper 110 salisbury rear axle and the 1.4 t-case (1.2 t-case is already a dog behind an auto 90). Roversnorth has NAS galvanized 110 frames for 3k or you can buy a used one and galvanize it yourself.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
One man's trashed is another man's treasure.

Tis
So True.

Don't jinx yourself with this gravity talk.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

So you would be building the 110 for your use only right? If I read that right I would vote for option 4: Sell both trucks, take the money and start with a parted out Bulkhead and build from there. You can use the title on the bulkhead. Its legal, and your probably going to replace averything else anyway.

This way your not "throwing away" the value of either stock 90. Plus, knowing you, I don't think you are going to be happy with the small V8 in the 110 when you are done. This way, you can put whatever you want in the 110 and even use it as a tow vehicle if you wanted.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I say use the red D90 and make it a D110 with a 5.9L cummins if it's even possible
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Sorry to hijack the thread. What would be best for a D110 conversion?
A D90 SW or ST?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 90, conversion