87 defender 200tdi not running, HELP! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 30th, 2015, 05:24 PM
zrpeterson19
Zachery Peterson
1987 Defender

87 defender 200tdi not running, HELP!

I am new to the forum so bear with me, long story short i am stationed in germany bought my defender in England while driving it back to germany it overheated. i had to get it towed back. My Defender 90 is a 1987 motor is a 200tdi i beileve from a 1990. once i got it back i saw that it was leaking coolant from the head bolt on the right side around cylinder 3, i replaced the head gasket and have put it back together and now it will not start at all, cranks over sounds like it fires hear and there. so far ive tried bleeding air at the injectors replaced all four glow plugs i beileve it is getting fuel but it doesnt seem very high pressured just dribbling out. i cant find access to a compression tester. i need my defender running asap! any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	112357  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2015, 05:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Did the stop solinoid wire come loose off the back of the high pressure fuel pump?
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Well.... First you need to make sure the timing is set correctly. I assume you followed all proper procedure changing the head gasket and checked out the head fully? Valve lash set and such?

If all that is good, crack the injector lines at all four injectors and crank over until you have good flow, and then tighten one. It should catch, then tighten one at a time.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If the above shows no fuel flow, you need to test the lift pump. Simple loosen the filter bleed and crank. Lots of fuel should come out.

Old January 30th, 2015, 05:40 PM
zrpeterson19
Zachery Peterson
1987 Defender

thanks for the quick replys stop soilnoid wire is good i check that, timeing is good, the head all looked fine when we inspected it. I will try what you suggested with the fuel on monday and post my results!
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Changing the head gasket does not change anything about the timing,that would only be suspect if you changed the timing belt.
It has to be fuel related. When checking the fuel solenoid wire did you check to see if it is getting 12v when the key is in the run position or just check that its plugged in ? As the ignition switches start to die they typically kill the switched power to the pump solenoid. This can be bypassed with a simple toggle to get it running. Another killer is the actual solenoid switch on the pump. Its basically an electromagnet that operates a plunger. Its a cheap part and they die frequently. Some die stuck open so that the only way to turn the truck off is to choke the truck out ie dump the clutch while holding the brakes in a high gear. Others die stuck closed so that no fuel makes it through the injection pump. When that happens the trail fix is to unscrew the solenoid and pull the plunger and spring out so the truck can run.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:35 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Changing the head gasket does not change anything about the timing. That would only be suspect if you changed the timing belt.
That's what I was thinking. I still believe it is a fuel issue.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:36 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
You said your solenoid wire is good - do you know if the solenoid is good? Have you had someone get in the car and turn the key to hear if it clicks?
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:40 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

What procedure did you follow when you torqued the head bolts?
Since the heads are aluminum, they will almost certainly warp upon overheating.
Did you have the head resurfaced to make it flat again?
Did you replace the crush washers for the injectors?
Did you mark the location of each steel injector line so you were able to connect the correct line to the correct injector?
Did you adjust the valves?
Did you replace the manifold gaskets?
Did you change the fuel filter?
Do you have the older style sandwich fuel filter or the spin-on?
Troubleshooting at a distance is not easy, but your answers will go along way to provide some clues.

We can schedule a call to assist once we know these answers.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:42 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

With the ignition on and you pull the wire off the stop solenoid you should feel/hear an audible click as you put the wire on and off the terminal (and you should see a very slight spark as you touch them together).. If that happens you have power and solenoid operation..if any doubt you can remove the solenoid plunger and put it back together and it should start...keep in mind you will have to stall the engine out to stop it if you do this,..as previously mentioned, crack the injector lines and crank...most fuel lift pumps have a hand prime lever underneath so you can bleed air and check their operations..my bet would be that you have timing off...hopefully just on the pump timing..
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
zrpeterson19
Zachery Peterson
1987 Defender

well it has been a disappointing day, after trouble shooting some more i pulled the injectors and the injector on cylinder 4 was covered in oil. pulled the head off and there was coolant in the rest of the cylinders. im assuming that it is cracked so time to shop for a new one. i dont think it would be worth my time and money to get it looked at. im going to buy all new parts along with my new head any other advice would be appreciated, any one know where to buy a good reliable head from? ill post pictures soon
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/acatalog/200Tdi.html

Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
A used parts option is Foley's in Essex, England. Speak to Stuart Foley and mention how you got his name. He'll take very good care of you if he can.

Clay

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I purchased a head from Turner's about 2 years ago and it's been rock solid. Quality place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, defender, tdi