87 D90 Engine Swap Options and thoughts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:04 PM
LakeLBJ
CC
SOLD - 1987 D90 LHD / 200TDI

Registry
87 D90 Engine Swap Options and thoughts

Engine in my recently imported 90 (19j) is bad, and am looking at options. I will be doing this swap myself.

I don't think think I will keep this truck long term as I think a 110 with A/C will be my long term goal. I am looking to replace the engine and then drive it for a year or so before I sell it and then look for a 93/94 truck in a few years with A/C when they are importable.

I have been doing research the past few weeks...

Local used 19j with 100k miles and unknown history: $1500

Used 200TDI (two dealers in Georgia offer them, both have mixed reputations here but seem decent over email) $4500-$6000 including radiator and inter cooler. Defender version.

3.9 or 4.0 gas (haven't seen any for sale)

4.6 gas swap? Local shop charges $14k for engine and conversion. Haven't seen any engines for sale and not sure about how easy the swap is.

LS Gen 4 V8 Gas Swap $5000ish for used motor/trans plus $5-7k for extra parts needed for swap.

Will a 200 TDI increase the value of my truck 4-5k? I've never seen a LS swap truck for sale so I have no idea what it would do to the price. Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
$1,500 sounds like a ton for a 19J
Old September 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post
Used 200TDI (two dealers in Georgia offer them, both have mixed reputations here but seem decent over email) $4500-$6000 including radiator and inter cooler. Defender version..

I don't know which ones you are talking about(but could venture a guess) but would encourage you to do a bunch more research. Making promises over email is not the same thing as delivering.

Don't get burned like so many before you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
$1,500 sounds like a ton for a 19J
Yes, agreed.

If you are just looking to sell on, I would think you could find a defender 200tdi for less than $5000. A 2.5 N/A or cheaper than $1500 TD is the cheap way out.
Old September 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM
LakeLBJ
CC
SOLD - 1987 D90 LHD / 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I don't know which ones you are talking about(but could venture a guess) but would encourage you to do a bunch more research. Making promises over email is not the same thing as delivering.

Don't get burned like so many before you.
Is there a go-to 200TDI source that people trust here?
Old September 28th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What is bad with the current engine? $5000 on a TDI buys a whole lot of fixing!

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:51 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Obviously doing a swap yourself is the economical way to go, but don't discount the value of your time too much. Only HGTV is allowed to forget to included labor and opportunity costs in their total investment. If your a single guy with no life then that's different than a guy with a young family and other responsibilities. At the end of the day these are 20 year old engines, right? There seems to be little rhyme or reason for some of these tdi shitting the bed. What condition they are in pre-swap is a real tough call unless you the proper due diligence, either yourself or through the trust of others. I'm hopefully in the finishing stage of a swap that has been painfully long. Primarily because I bought a disco TDI which brings some of its own unique challenges and I lack experience, skills or time to do it any quicker. It's been a great learning experience though and if I do it again I'll be able to put a plan together and execute more effectively. Good luck bro!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:31 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have an OM617 conversion kit to the Mercedes 5 cylinder turbo diesel and 1 turn key 4JB1-T 2.8 TD complete setup and 1 Iveco 2.8 TD setup (same engine as Land Rover Santana PS-10) with engine if you want to PM for details.
There are threads here showing these conversions.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, engine, ht