'86 Defender 110 2.5L turbo diesel question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2016, 11:50 AM
RobertLa
Robert
none

'86 Defender 110 2.5L turbo diesel question

Looking for some help diagnosing a defender 110 2.5L turbo diesel. I have owned it for about a year with no problems except some small oil leaks which I have regularly checked levels and also rebuilt the radiator becUse of some early overheating problems. Recently it started to have heavy white smoke and sputtering upon starting at idle and continue to do so once driving (at idle only). It has always white/black smoked at ignition but would typically go away shortly after. Important to note that this is the first summer it's spend in the Lousiana heat so I've had to be careful for it not to overheat and have gotten the red oil light flashing (in neutral only and idle) a couple times when it gets close to the solid area of the temp guage but have always promptly stopped and let it cool off. Thanks for any advice as I am not aware of anyone close by that I could take it to. (SW Louisiana is location).

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2016, 06:23 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Here are a few pics if that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	153078  
Old July 4th, 2016, 06:28 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Trying to get more pics up
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	33
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	153079  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2016, 06:30 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Last one
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	153080  
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How recently have you changed your fuel filter ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:40 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Thx for the reply Doug. I looked at the service records I received with truck and it looks like it was 5 months prior to purchase. I have ran 7-8 tanks of gas through it but don't know the mileage. If this would be one of the first trouble shooting options I can definitely do it.

Robert
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:08 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This is pretty hard to diagnose via the internet. To me it sounds like two different issues.
A clogged fuel filter would limit your top end or cause stumbling at higher RPMs and probably not an issue at idle.
Just a hunch..... I would drain the oil and see if you have coolant in it. Since you mentioned overheating I'm thinking perhaps you may have a head gasket issue.
The oil light flickering would indicate a failing oil pump or failing pressure sender. I would swap in a new sender to start with, they are cheap enough.
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:29 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Thanks for the reply. I just went and tried again so I could better describe. It takes close to 15 seconds to actually be able to let go of the key and shakes pretty bad until I give it gas then bellows white smoke through the increase in RPMs and only slacks off when I let go of the pedal and then once it gets close to idol it shakes severely until it kills itself. I also noticed a clacking noise as I gave it gas but not consistently.

Robert
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:42 PM
javelinadave
-
-

OK, that sounds like you may possible have water in your fuel and the filter. I would change it out and the oil pressure sender, both very inexpensive. Do you have a sedimenter in your fuel system?
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:54 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Here is a picture of what I believe to be the fuel filter and pump. Something I noticed when I climbed under just now is a 2' puddle of diesel on the ground directly below this picture
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:55 PM
RobertLa
Robert
none

Picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	153109  
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLa View Post
Here is a picture of what I believe to be the fuel filter and pump. Something I noticed when I climbed under just now is a 2' puddle of diesel on the ground directly below this picture
Picture is not real clear but the black canister is your oil filter...the small white canister at the top of the bulkhead is your fuel filter. The pump directly above the oil filter (in the picture) is your injection pump...the fuel pump is further back and bolted directly to the engine block...follow the plumbing from the fuel filter, one hose goes to the fuel pump. The sedimenter (if you have one) is a clear bulb on the bottom of the fuel pump. Also, the fuel pump has a small priming lever. It does sound like water in the fuel or could possibly be a bad head gasket allowing coolant into the cylinders. It is possible to drain the fuel filter and remove the sedimenter to expel water but if you do not have experience performing this procedure it would be worth having a diesel mechanic do the procedure as bleeding the fuel system can be a real PIA if not done correctly.

Concerning the puddle of diesel...can you tell where the fuel is leaking from?
Old July 5th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Since you're leaking diesel at rest (engine off) you are possibly/ most likely getting air into the fuel system which will also limit your top end performance AND cause excessive cranking to start.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, defender, defender 110, diesel