85 D110 Registration in California - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

85 D110 Registration in California

Hello all,

Anyone know if California has any specific registration policies that would effect a legally imported 25 year rule D110? Its all stock with the 3.5 V8. I have the vehicle registered in Alabama. I paid my import duties, bond, and had no issues from customs.

Thanks for the help I have a potential buyer but I need to find a reference or some info for him to go through with the sale.

thanks
Oscar
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:20 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

As long as it will pass California emissions test there should be no issues.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:46 AM
kylesrover
Kyle
97 D90 ST #1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
As long as it will pass California emissions test there should be no issues.
What Jason said. Gas powered vehicles have to be 1975 or older in CA to be smog exempt. SUCKS!!! Diesel is around 1998 which made it easy when I registered mine. Other than that no problems. My 1986 110 had a NC title. VIN inspection, paid the fees, and drove away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesrover View Post
What Jason said. Gas powered vehicles have to be 1975 or older in CA to be smog exempt. SUCKS!!! Diesel is around 1998 which made it easy when I registered mine. Other than that no problems. My 1986 110 had a NC title. VIN inspection, paid the fees, and drove away.
Sounds like California is almost encouraging diesels!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:09 AM
kylesrover
Kyle
97 D90 ST #1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Sounds like California is almost encouraging diesels!
Yep. At least the old smelly ones!
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:05 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I guess my next question would then be how hard is it to pass smog? As far as I can tell the engine is stock with one exception, the OEM airbox has been removed and replaced with cone filters (I didnt do it). I think I can dig one up somewhere in my storage unit, but maybe not.

Thanks again,
Oscar
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM
kylesrover
Kyle
97 D90 ST #1018

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I guess my next question would then be how hard is it to pass smog? As far as I can tell the engine is stock with one exception, the OEM airbox has been removed and replaced with cone filters (I didnt do it). I think I can dig one up somewhere in my storage unit, but maybe not.

Thanks again,
Oscar
Hey Oscar......Tough to say for sure. I have never had a problem with any of my vehicles passing smog since I started driving 20 years ago. Had some 1980's trucks and a few late 80's mustangs back in the early 90's, but I'm pretty sure they all had cats.

I called a local smog shop here and they told me that if it's coming from out of state, it has to pass to todays standards, regardless of the year. Also, if it's got a different air filter, make sure it has an EO sticker. They actually check for that on aftermarket stuff. There are some designed to be 49 state legal, not including the Republic of Cali!!.

Wish I had better info for you, but it's just hard to know without running the beast through. I guess we could get all the CA smog specs and have you run it in your area and compare the numbers. Just a thought.....I see older Defenders running around from time to time so they must be passing, or they are all diesels
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

If I was you I would look into just having it registered in another state. At least get your ducks in a row in case you dont pass smog.
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

The vehicle is registered in Alabama with a Alabama title. I want to sell it to a guy in California and before I do so I wanted to figure out if this was doable and if not how much or what I would have to do.

Seems odd that a state government would take a federal EPA exemption and make it have to pass current day emissions. Seems wrong. But it is California.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
kylesrover
Kyle
97 D90 ST #1018

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d110