'83 110 Ujoint - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

'83 110 Ujoint

Okay, searched the forum and searched autozone and NAPA and found that the '93 110 rear driveshaft ujoints were the same as the front. So I bought ujoints from Autozone (all the same) and had them replaced in my 110. Front driveshaft went fine. The rear, however, appear too small. There is a gap between the c-clip and the cup. So I guess my question is: What is the part number for a replacement ujoint for an 83 110? I don't want the biggest/baddest, just a ujoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Here goes ...

Precision 344 or 369, or Spicer 5-153 or 5-4

It one or the other can't remember witch.

Good luck !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Hey Neil,

They are 344's. and FYI they are the same as a Volvo 700 series u-joint but w/o the grease nipple.

BTW, are you going to Moab?

Cheers
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Thanks Scott. I searched for the Precision 344 and found this site

http://www.lrfaq.org/RR/RR.u-joint_replacement.html

They also said that it cross-references with the PDQ-1005, which is what the Autozone site came up with, so it looks like I used the right part. I think the guy just really f'd up my driveshaft ends such that there is now a gap. Almost like he spread them apart while attempting to get my old ones out.

Looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go to a driveshaft shop like I should've done in the first place and see if they can resurrect what's left.

No, unfortnately I'm not going to MOAB. I'm stationed in VA still and any free time is spent going back home to CT. It has been great, though, to become part of the NOVA crowd. I heard you may be moving back to New England?

-Neil
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:48 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Don't know how much they charge for rebuilding the drive shaft but a new tom woods is only about $350 and worth every penny.

Yes, the house is up for sale and we are moving back north as soon as it sells. Looking at Portsmouth NH. We have already set up an office in town so now we just need the house to sell and we are there.

As for Moab, I had a choice of that or MAR. Having never been out west, it was really on the must do list. I will give a shout to everyone on my mail list once I move.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Neil, let me know if you need to borrow my shaft for MAR, you're more than welcome to it. Ujoints are in fine shape.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Thanks Tony.

Okay, I pulled the rear DS tonight and compared it to the front. Definately a size difference in the carriers/forks which would account for the gap between the cup and c-clip.

So, either '83's used a different sized (larger) rear DS, or the PO installed a custom DS. The old ujoints are in a dump somewhere so no luck there. Hopefully the DS shop will be able to measure and find the correct UJ.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
forget which is which but I know the series trucks use two diferent ujoints. one is precision 369 and the other is precision 344.

cup diamter is the same but one has a cap to cap measurement of 2 15/16" and the other is 3 7/32." could be you need the bigger one?

edit: also keep in mind your truck has had a drivetrain conversion AND is 25 years old so the shafts could be just about anything. same goes for just about anything on the vehicle. once you figure out what you have, make a note of it for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Thanks Tony.

Okay, I pulled the rear DS tonight and compared it to the front. Definately a size difference in the carriers/forks which would account for the gap between the cup and c-clip.

So, either '83's used a different sized (larger) rear DS, or the PO installed a custom DS. The old ujoints are in a dump somewhere so no luck there. Hopefully the DS shop will be able to measure and find the correct UJ.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Neil, I'll see if I can make time to compare mine tomorrow, but my recollection was that my rear matched my fronts (based on external carrier measurements). I used PDQ 1-0153 from advance for the fronts if that helps (it cross referenced to one of those spicer numbers and have a grease fitting). I was going to do my rears just as a precaution but never got around to it.

charles
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Neil, I'll see if I can make time to compare mine tomorrow, but my recollection was that my rear matched my fronts (based on external carrier measurements). I used PDQ 1-0153 from advance for the fronts if that helps (it cross referenced to one of those spicer numbers and have a grease fitting). I was going to do my rears just as a precaution but never got around to it.

charles
That's interesting, I used PDQ 1-0005 for the fronts. Maybe the PDQ 1-0153 are larger. If they are, I'll try them. They did have the same cup size as Dave mentioned in the above post.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags