83 110 front axle upgrade questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

83 110 front axle upgrade questions

With a 83 110, what will need to be swapped to go to 24 spline GBR HD front axles. The diff and axles is a given and I have that. I just wasn't sure what else might need to be changed due to how early the axle is?

Since I have a complete spare front axle out of a disco and RRC I thought I might start stripping the stuff I'll need now.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Check to see what width radius arms you have? The older ones might be thinner than the new one thus the Disco axle mounting bracket may be different. Pretty much everything else should mount up.
Also check the swivel balls to make sure that they have the correct mounting holes if you are not using the Disco stuff. (they should) Depending upon what calipers you are using the brake lines may need to be adjusted. It would be a great time to upgrade to the Defender vented disc brake set up.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:59 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

So I would need to swap the whole axle casing? Or could I just do from the axle tube flanges out? The disco axle is non vented discs as well, the RRC has a vented disc set up, not sure how I would work out using the RRC calipers though since they are twin lines.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, just swap the inner axles and diff. Everything else is better than the newer axles.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Are you guys saying the stock early cv's are better than the gbr heavy duty axle set? I know they are stronger than the disco and later rrc stuff.

I'd say call Bill and ask him what you will need. He's always been helpful with this kind of info from my experience. I'd think if you are swapping the 3rd member and the axles/cv's you'd be all set but maybe you need a different drive flange at the hub but I don't think so.

Daniel
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Are you guys saying the stock early cv's are better than the gbr heavy duty axle set? I know they are stronger than the disco and later rrc stuff.
I think people are confusing terminology...

You MUST buy aftermarket halfshafts, 24 spline inner, 23 spline outer. Any supplier, Ashcroft, GBR, Rovingtracks will all be fine.

You want to install a strong 24 spline differential. Either genuine 24 spline or an aftermarket one of some variety.

The early axles (when I say axles, I mean the entire axle assembly) are better since the CV joints are quite a bit stronger than the later model CV joints. These joints are required to match the 24/23 spline halfshafts. Later axles while require changing and modifying to suit different CV joints. You can buy Chrome-Moly CV joints which are strong again but they are expensive and not needed for everyone.

The early axles also have a wider hub bearing spacing which is better than the late model axles. 110 axles also have larger brakes than the Disco and RRC axles.

Old October 29th, 2012, 02:50 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Using Jon's terms (I'm sure are the right terms lol)

I have a 24 spline front disco third member.
I have the 24 spline GBR stage 1 half shafts as pictured here http://gbrutah.com/cs_drivetrain_axl..._abs_stage_one

Is there anything else I have to change?

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Using Jon's terms (I'm sure are the right terms lol)

I have a 24 spline front disco third member.
I have the 24 spline GBR stage 1 half shafts as pictured here http://gbrutah.com/cs_drivetrain_axl..._abs_stage_one

Is there anything else I have to change?
No, but you do not want to use a stock Disco front differential. They are quite weak and break on street driven trucks. You are not gaining any strength over the current 10 spline setup, IMO.

edit: The link shows Chrome-Moly joints and shafts that match and are intended for the late model axles. If you go that route, you need to make sure he does a version for the early wide hub, as I doubt he does...

Old October 29th, 2012, 03:22 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

ahh so those half shafts aren't usable for the 110. I'll add them to the for sale thread with the ashcroft rears lol.

Thanks gentlemen

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

What you have on an early Defender is a 10 spline inner front, shaft? correct You will also have a hub which has a wider spacing between the bearings. You can not use this hub with a Discovery axle set up. The Early Defender will also have a different axle outer flange. That is if the previous owner didn't change things up. The swivel housing on the early Defenders also had a different top bearing. Both the housing and the swivel balls will be different from the newer Defenders and Discovery. You can look at what you have and see the differences.
Since you are rebuilding everything it would be a good time to upgrade to the vented disc. You will have to get some new, or used , calipers. Calipers are cheap and you could get the newer Defender style. You will appreciate the better braking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, axle, front axle