7th Seat in D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
7th Seat in D90

Can i put the seat betwen the driver and passenger seat in the 95 SW, and if so where can i buy it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sure, they're all over the place, literally trip on them as you walk down the sidewalk. Seriously, they are available and cheap, but you'd probably have to reupholster it to get it to match your current seats. I'm sure someone will pipe up here with one to offer you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

i took the console out and put a middle seat in. looks great and gets sat in all the time. even though BeaStLee is a manual i go automatic as the kids change gears for me now the seat i got does fit but it is a tight squeeze (found one here on the forum). i have a set of seat covers so didn't need to re upholster. Along with the bench seats in the back i can cart 7 people around now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	18246   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	18247  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I got mine directly from exmoor (rumor is that you can't do that any more though). I got mine in order to fit two forward facing car seats for the little monkeys... but now I have the coolest 7 passenger car around (suck it minivans)

It sounds like Rovers North is now the "official" importer of exmoor products but RDS lists some items so you might try George first...
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Anyone now some prices on it? thanks.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofman
i took the console out and put a middle seat in. looks great and gets sat in all the time. even though BeaStLee is a manual i go automatic as the kids change gears for me now the seat i got does fit but it is a tight squeeze (found one here on the forum). i have a set of seat covers so didn't need to re upholster. Along with the bench seats in the back i can cart 7 people around now.
Nice. BUt is there really a bumper sticker on the windshield
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Found a third seat for you

John:

I ran across this on eBay after seeing your post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...5888QQtcZphoto

Or use eBay auction# 350128695888

Looks like a pretty decent seat for $99.

No affiliation, just found it while searching for parts for my truck.

Cheers,

CARL
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:45 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
THanks, looking pretty good.
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
I got mine directly from exmoor (rumor is that you can't do that any more though). I got mine in order to fit two forward facing car seats for the little monkeys... but now I have the coolest 7 passenger car around (suck it minivans)

It sounds like Rovers North is now the "official" importer of exmoor products but RDS lists some items so you might try George first...
Just curious, but what type of restraint system do these use, just a lap belt? Do NAS defenders have properly reinforced mounting points for a seat belt in the center (lap or otherwise)? Anyone concerned about the lack of a head rest, or is everyone just using them for around the property, non-street use?

How about some photos of the car seat installs?

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Just curious, but what type of restraint system do these use, just a lap belt? Do NAS defenders have properly reinforced mounting points for a seat belt in the center (lap or otherwise)? Anyone concerned about the lack of a head rest, or is everyone just using them for around the property, non-street use?

It's a lap belt system, and if you have a SW the rear seats dont have headrests so it really wouldn't make a difference.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

you can get a center seat with a headrest from exmoor if that's what you want....
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
mwmorgan22
Mark Morgan
94 D-90

Just put in a front center seat in my 94 ST. I have not worked out the restraint system or how close the car seat will be to the shifter. Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
You might want to put the car seat in the passenger seat. its probably safer and you dont want any unexpected shifts by kicking feet.
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

you can use his type of belt......http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...seat-belt.html

it is a "mini" 4 point harness specific for kids......only need a third point behind the seat.

This is probably even better....http://www.johncraddock-trim.co.uk/f...ia-1983-0.html

Essentially a three point over shoulder with inertia reel mounted behind the seat.....specific to center seat.
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
It's a lap belt system, and if you have a SW the rear seats dont have headrests so it really wouldn't make a difference.
True enough, but the SW's fold down seats are also inward facing, meaning a headrest would be of little help, except possibly in a side impact accident. The safety of inward facing jump seats is dubious at best, even for adults, and I myself wouldn't put my child in one, unless it was just a 10-15 mph run around the property or something (certainly not out on the roads where you have to contend with other driver's mistakes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
you can use his type of belt......http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...seat-belt.html

it is a "mini" 4 point harness specific for kids......only need a third point behind the seat.

This is probably even better....http://www.johncraddock-trim.co.uk/f...ia-1983-0.html

Essentially a three point over shoulder with inertia reel mounted behind the seat.....specific to center seat.
Both of these concern me as well. I've always seen that shoulder belt mount points should be at or above the shoulder height, and that running them to anchor points below the shoulder (particularly all the way down to the floor) leads to the possibility of breaking ones back in an accident, because as the body pulls on the belts, this lower anchor leads to the belt pulling downward on the shoulder.

This is also clearly explained with Child safety seats that use five point harnesses. It is stressed over and over that the shoulder harness height needs to be at or above the shoulder otherwise the child will be subject to severe injury in an accident.

Both the Wesco Performance and the craddock solutions rely on floor mount anchors for the shoulder harnesses, best I can tell. Seems like a bad compromise, but I recommend anyone considering these research the safety of the setups..

Old March 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmorgan22
Just put in a front center seat in my 94 ST. I have not worked out the restraint system or how close the car seat will be to the shifter. Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.
I've done this... works great (I did it so I could fit two car seats in mine)

A couple of notes for you:
1- it's uh... snuggly... you kind of have to ready over your kid to shift
2- As you might expect, 2nd and 4th gears are pretty close to the seat so take appropriate precautions to prevent suddenly going into neutral
3- I connected the car seats upper strap back down to the frame bolts that hold the seatbelts in... I felt pretty secure about the whole setup
4- some car seats are a lot wider than others... if you have a choice the less expensive ones (without the extra cup holders and who the hell knows what else) are a LOT thinner and will ultimately make everyone happier while being just as safe.

-Brad

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr

lap belt is right but they bolt in the same place as the other belts (so I guess if they regular belts are crappy these wouldn't be any better or worse).

I use the top-strap to connect back as well so no headrest is probably a better situation anyway as it would just get in the way for me...

pictures... two carseats is really a snug fit so I don't keep them in just install them when I'm taking both somewhere in the D...

I'll snap a picture next time we go for a ride and post it up
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
If i get the middle seat where do i get the radio mount
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Wait a minute...Did you ever consider why NAS trucks don't have a center seat?

Hmmm...let's see...

...because they're unsafe and illegal!
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
If i get the middle seat where do i get the radio mount
you have to put it in the dash

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm

Hmmm...let's see...

um... no they are not...

what gives you the idea that they are? They didn't come with a center seat because most people don't want one, they're uncomfortable and you lose storage and convenience.

not unsafe and not illegal...

of course D's are not exactly the safest vehicles on the road anyway (go buy a minivan you spoil sport )
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm

Hmmm...let's see...

Any more unsafe than a bench seat in a pick up truck?

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
you have to put it in the dash

Follow-up Post:

um... no they are not...

what gives you the idea that they are? They didn't come with a center seat because most people don't want one, they're uncomfortable and you lose storage and convenience.

not unsafe and not illegal...

of course D's are not exactly the safest vehicles on the road anyway (go buy a minivan you spoil sport )
I know they go in the dash, but what mount do i use

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90