7th Seat in D90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Are you telling me you'd want to straddle that tranny tunnel and have a shifter in front of you? There isn't any room there for any adult size legs.

No way in hell that's legal! Go ahead, put it in and have an accident...then we'll see.

I've been in plenty of bench seats in nice, old, BIG & WIDE American cars; no comparison. Trucks with a column shifter, no comparison. Trucks with a center shifter, do they still make them???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:07 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Are you telling me you'd want to straddle that tranny tunnel and have a shifter in front of you? There isn't any room there for any adult size legs.

No way in hell that's legal! Go ahead, put it in and have an accident...then we'll see.

I've been in plenty of bench seats in nice, old, BIG & WIDE American cars; no comparison. Trucks with a column shifter, no comparison. Trucks with a center shifter, do they still make them???
Hey no one ever said you had to get the center seat. and if you would rather have a nice big and wide american car i think your in the wrong place.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:19 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
...and if you would rather have a nice big and wide american car...
Check your eyes there newbie, or the interface between them and your brain...

Where the F$@% did I say I prefer that?!

As for your radio question, get a switch console form a 97 and stick it in there. Get a generic mounting bracket, screw it to the radio and the bottom of the console, build up some velcro to grab the top of the radio to the console so it doesn't move around and screw the console in place.

If you can't figure out how to mount a radio then you're in the wrong place...go to Crutchfield or Radio Shack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
... Trucks with a center shifter, do they still make them???
YEs Dodge Ram 1500
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:

LOL

I'm sure you think the back seats of a porche 911 are unusable too

You want big wide seats drive a Buick and a Mini-Van...

An adult in the center seat of a D? Yup... that would suck, but it is legal and probably safer than the jump seats in back...

A d90 is not a safe vehicle any way you slice it if you're comparing it to an F350 for example but they are awesome and having a center seat can, in some cases, make them more usable...

If you accept having a D and you want a place to stick a car seat... properly strapped down the center seat is probably one of the safest places you could stick a kid (rear forward facing bench seat would be better of course, but if that's not an option for whatever reason...)
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Don't bother with the switch panel from a 97 - they cost more than the piece designed for the radio. You want Rovers North part RNH512. I'd give you the LR part number, but I can't find it. Maybe tomaco1 can take the part number off the box since I just gave him one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Brad- Yes, I do think a 911's rears are unusable, almost as much as a Triumph TR-6's - or any other TR.

No mention of a car/kid seat...so assumed adult. Even so, I wouldn't stick my kid there.

Jim- Odd, I have one just like that in the 110 but it's light grey (matching the door panels) not dark, or black, as the RN part. I assumed it was the stock 97 part without the center panel.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Jim- Odd, I have one just like that in the 110 but it's light grey (matching the door panels) not dark, or black, as the RN part. I assumed it was the stock 97 part without the center panel.
Black? The RN one looks grey to me. The 97 switch plate has the center panel glued into it, and would be difficult to remove without damaging the surround.

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Brad- Yes, I do think a 911's rears are unusable, almost as much as a Triumph TR-6's - or any other TR.
That's sacrilege!!!

How's a man supposed to justify an unpractical vehicle with attitude like that!! (honey, it's a family car)

my D90=minivan seating and the soccer team would MUCH rather ride with me
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Black? The RN one looks grey to me. The 97 switch plate has the center panel glued into it, and would be difficult to remove without damaging the surround.
I just took a look at RN's pic and it's a dark grey - unlike the door panel grey. I suppose it could be not accurate - the pic not the actual color.

If the 97 has the panel glued on then we're talking different parts here. So, the one I have is dedicated to radio use. Also, it's from a Euro truck so...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90