7.5 amp / 10 amp - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

7.5 amp / 10 amp

Hi,

My Defender keeps blowing the 7.5 fuel pump fuse #20. About every other time I start the truck. Have taken the panel down and see nothing obvious that is shorting it out.

Question:
If I put a 10 amp fuse in that slot (definitely labeled 7.5 amp) the truck seems to start and run like a charm. I will keep testing this for a few days.

Any reason that I should not just be happy with this solution if it continues to work???

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
it will continue to work until your truck burns to the ground ... but at least it will be electrical fire rather than the typical oil line inferno!

Did you take a look at the fuel pump ... the one on my 95 was so corroded that it was amazing it still worked ...
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Actually, Land Rover told people to fit a 10amp

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...defender-6.htm

Fuel pump: The fuel pump will quit because the 7.5-amp fuse, which is too small for the circuit, blows. A 10-amp fuse is necessary and a notation should be made in the owner's manual. (1996-97)

Ron
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Jason - I was afraid of something just like your message - then I read Ron's...........

----------------------

Ron - This is great news for me. I think I have found my entire starting issue in one little fuse. Unbelievable that this was actually something that Land Rover corrected for the later models. (I doubt that it matters that mine is a 1995 model year).

A 7.5 amp fuse has always been in that slot, until today. If this is something that everyone should do, I wonder how many people on this board actually know about it???? I had never heard of this Land Rover notice - before you.......

Thanks,

Flagg
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij

No problem. It was standard operating procedure at the dealer to swap them out on all D90s, regardless of year. Pretty sure there was a TSB, but I could not find it on google.
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Amazing..............

Defender ran beautifully for 2 weeks. Today it made me late for a meeting by not starting in my driveway I guess I have to think that AT LEAST it was my driveway.

Recently changed plugs, wires, rotor. Had fuel system and pressure checked. Battery good. EXACT same symptoms as before. Really seems like fuel not getting to engine. Just checked:
- 10 amp fuse is not blown
- switched relays - nothing different.

At this point, I am going to have it towed back to Treasured Motor Cars. I need them to start systematically checking til they can find the problem. I really hope something definitive is found.

Much as I love the truck............I can't be afraid to drive it. I am really frustrated........and sad. This has been going on for several weeks in some form or another.

Flagg
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Did you swap in new silver relays yet?

This should be Standard Operating Procedure on any no start.
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine put me down once, new relays nope, fuses nope. I jiggled the wires on the coil and it fired right up.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Follow up:

It ended up being the fuel pump. It was not that old, so not really suspected. It would run intermediately. Eventually it died under testing.

I am hoping the Defender becomes the good old reliable truck again

------------------------

By the way - I had Treasured Motor Cars put in an access panel in the back bed this time while the gas tank was out. This way if(when) the fuel pump or harness has trouble again it can be easily checked. I was told the european Defenders have this. I know the old Series do.

Why was no access panel put in the NAS D90? Anyone else does this to their truck?

Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions