60mph vibration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2006, 08:53 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

60mph vibration

OK guys... I need some input. I have a vibraton at 60mph. I feel it in the whole truck and a little in the steering wheel. It is not a death wobble, but a noticable shimmy that wiggles the whole truck.

I have fixed/changed latley:
Welded new braket for pan hard
Front inner and outer wheel bearings
Set swivel preload
wheels balanced 3 times
Alignment done by computer wizz-a-mabober
All balljoints including A-arm and bushings (OE) (~2000mi ago)
All bushings (blue poly bush~2000mi ago) including panhard (rubber) x2
Both drive shafts balanced ~10000mi ago

It is really feels like a wheel is out of balance to me but They say they are balanced. I have not had the alignment done since changing the bearings.
A tire out of round? They are pretty new.
I was thinking about changing the rear bearings just to be sure but I'm getting sick of changing bearings.

Any input would be great, I'm really getting tired of this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Any chance you have a bad ujoint on one of the drive shafts. They can imitate a wheel imbalance and drive you nuts lookin. You could take them out one at a time and drive it with the diff locked to see if the vibration is still there. I ran into that a lot with SIIs with the front shafts that werent greaseable. You could also put it on a lift and see if the vibration is possibly coming from one of the diffs. Maybe a bearing or something. Running it up to the vibration speed on a lift could help you narrow it down. Good luck
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:00 AM
cpk
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110

You may want to try and have the tires balanced again at another shop. Their equipment could be out of calibration causing a faulty result. The equipment I'm familiar with requires frequent calibration and this may not be getting done if you have deadbeats at the helm of your current shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2006, 08:14 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
not to hijack but man those junkies at tire shops dont have a fucking clue. What tires are you running? I have a little vibration almost hardly noticable, i can feel in my feet and in my seat, ive had my tires balanced and the joints seem fine I am attributing it to the mud grip tires..
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM
D90user
steve

I'm currently running cooper ST-C. Good all around tire. I have another set of Baja claws I could throw on to compare, but they are so loud and vibrate anyway.

What is a good way to diagnose the diff bearings?
I'm going to put her on jack stands and run her up to speed today to see what I can find.
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM
D90user
steve

More HELP please!!!

So I ran the truck up to 60 on jack stands. There is a definate noise and vibration comming from the front somewhere. But here is the catch... it only happens when the center diff lock is disengaged. When I lock the center the noise stops and it is smooth.
I had the t-case rebuilt last year and it had some bearing problems shortly there after, input preload was reset and hasn't really been a problem. I did notice that it sometimes woudl stay partially engaged even with the light off.

I took the front drive shaft off, ran it on jack stands and it is very smooth. So definatly in the front.

I took it for a drive with only the rear drive shaft and the vibe is definatly less pronounced, but hard to tell because the roads around my house suck.

What is the best way to diagnose the front diff? No metal in the fluid. but there is some play when you turn the flange untill the wheels start to move.

I don't like this. So what are the odds it is the T-case? I also noticed that when you turn the front output with the center diff open you can feel a slight clicking.

please help. I'm trying to go on a big trip in 2 weeks and this dosn't look good.
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id be thinking about that slight clicking in the front output. it seems its your case, did you run it around with the rear shaft off? Whats the noise a whine grind ?? Have you checked the fluid in your transfer case, how many miles on your truck?
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

With the given information you are headed in the right direction. If the vibration is less pronounced with front shaft out you might consider checking the CVs. Have you checked the swivel fluid lately. Maybe on of your CVs is starting to bind up. Don't know what else to tell ya. Good Luck.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
D90user
steve

I don't think it is the CV's. I just changed the swivel seals and they both looked OK.

The truck is a fraken-rover but the t-case has only at a max. 10k since the rebuild. Front axle is a differnet story and your guess is as good as mine.

I did not take the rear off, being that it was definatly comming from the front.

The clicking worries me too. I just changed the t-case fluid. It looked great (mobile 1)... there was a bit of metal on the magnet but nothing chunky or serious. The sound was like a grinding/whine...hard to describe. But you could feel it in the truck not just hear it

I think I'm going to have the front shaft joints changed and spun by a pro... just to be sure.

any pointers on t-case or front diff diagnosis?

Follow-up Post:

I just noticed something. When the light comes on that the CDL is disengaged it is sometimes partially disengages.

With one wheel lifted the wheel will spin a half or 1 whole revolution then catch at the tcase. If I have been driving around with the CDL paritally disengaged...that could fry the case...right??
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what happens at 70? does it smooth out? I said fuck it to my vibrations, I look at is as part of the experience. When its ready to be repaired itll let ya know, hope for the best prepare for the worst keep a thou or so in the fund and it wont feel so bad when you need it.
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
D90user
steve

It seems to smooth out at 70. I definatly have my "its a rover" list of problems... but this is one of those vibrations/noises that seems to be getting worse and headed towards grenade.

If it is the front drive shaft... no big deal. But there seems to be no play in the joints or the sleeve. If it is the tcase, I'm pissed.
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:02 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

what is the fornt diff pinion baering like, any excess movement in it? also is your truck lifted. It may be the diff angle.

is the front prop still Balanced?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions