5 speed vs auto - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
And with an auto, you can eat cheese burgers, text your girlfriend, fiddle with the stereo and sip your Big Gulp. All at the same time!
Super Big Gulp, now your talking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130312_201439.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	70708
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Autos are for people that don't like to drive.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Get caught in a multi mile back up on an interstate in a city like, Chicago,La,DC, Baltimore, Boston or NYC with an early truck with that stiff as hell clutch pedal and even Charles Atlas would be cramping up after an hour or so of inching forward. Realize thats not your reality in Calgary but for those unfortunate enough to have these quality of life commuting issues it can be painfull.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Realize thats not your reality in Calgary but for those unfortunate enough to have these quality of life commuting issues it can be painfull.
I wish. That is my commute every day.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I can't see a situation where I'll ever prefer an auto. Having said that if something I *cough* my wife *cough* wants only comes in an auto, I have a feeling that'll eventually be in my driveway.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:32 PM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
I've logged more miles on manuals than I care to remember (mind you mostly with 18 wheels under me :->). But overall for the purposes of an off roader or daily driver I have a hard time rating a manual ahead of an auto. Auto's are just a better option imo.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I've been a big fan of the autos for a long time and still am. But with those thin defender floors its a bit of the extra warmth. Although having never driven a manual 90 they may be just as warm in the floor boards. But I still think the autos would throw off more heat. Being that a good tranny temp is 140..... That's still pretty warm. Nice in the winter though!
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Other than the jag and the RRC, where a stick was not available -- still have a D1 R380 for the RRC -- everything I own is manual. Causes issues with the girl, but whatever.

I find myself doing dumb stuff like forgetting I am in reverse, jamming my left foot on the brake thinking it is the clutch etc. I guess that is what happens when 95% of the miles you have driven were with three pedals.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:53 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
More like 'autos are for people that "actually" drive their trucks as daily drivers'. Haha.

But it's all what you want. Driving in traffic...everyday...to and from work, with a stiff clutch pedal = you wish you had an auto.

However, off roading = manuals.

Me: 95% of my use is on road; I won't lie. So, for me an auto makes sense.

Old April 25th, 2013, 12:14 AM
RobTheGob
Rob
1963 IIa 88 & 1995 NAS D-90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Get caught in a multi mile back up on an interstate in a city like, Chicago,La,DC, Baltimore, Boston or NYC with an early truck with that stiff as hell clutch pedal and even Charles Atlas would be cramping up after an hour or so of inching forward. Realize thats not your reality in Calgary but for those unfortunate enough to have these quality of life commuting issues it can be painfull.
I don't think you've driven in Calgary recently! The traffic can be very bad at times... Try a multi mile backup when it's -30... I've done that quite a few times in my old 88".

I don't drive in Calgary any longer, but even if I did - I'd still always pick a manual over an automatic. I hate the "looseness" of torque convertors in conventional automatics.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I think most rock crawler guys go with an automatic, same down here with the mud boggin' crowd. When you are going through deep mud, momentum is your friend. Once your motor starts to lug and loose RPM, you need to down shift to keep up your momentum. Once you push in the clutch pedal it is all stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and crack out the strap.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
jamming my left foot on the brake thinking it is the clutch etc. I guess that is what happens when 95% of the miles you have driven were with three pedals.
I had to sell my 92 RRC because of that. In every single place where I used to downshift with my previous two door RRs, I would stab the brakes and send every loose object flying towards the windshield.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
5 speed, all I need to make my classic a 5 speed is the transmission. I really hate the ZF
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:19 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Personal preference.
That said, all my cars have a clutch (wifes car no longer does, and yes, I occasionally hit the brake with the left foot in it too).
I feel I have much more control with the manual than I do with the auto, especially in bad weather (wet, snow, ice etc.). Key is to make sure you are in the right gear. Ive been stuck in crawling traffic out of Boston a number of times, including a few in the landie (occasionally I just put it into low box and idle slowly as much as possible with out hitting the clutch).
Personal preference, understanding the pros and cons that others have mentioned. YMMV.
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

I have manuals in both my 90 and RRC and wouldn't switch. However, these are probably the worst shifting manuals I've ever driven so I certainly understand the choice of going auto on these trucks. I miss the auto in the Classic on the rocks at Rausch Creek and of course in NJ/NYC traffic. However - like scoloco said, low range is the way to go in traffic around here when you are just inching along.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Manual gearbox for me.

Can't beat blipping the throttle between gears or the popping of the exhaust when downshifting.

When the my starter gave up ghost while getting pizza one night I was able to get a push start easily. And was also able to pop start backing down the driveway when the battery got too low from sitting.

Also have gotten it to move a bit just bumping the starter when it wouldn't start.

Off road it is a little tougher in spots but I had a nice advantage over the slushboxes on a piece of trail at Rausch Creek where they couldn't get in a low enough gear. I put it in first low range and just idled down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions