5-bar checker plate wing top protection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 24th, 2003, 09:15 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

5-bar checker plate wing top protection

Looking for a source for genuine LR 5-bar checker plate wing top protection for my 1997 D90. Anyone have an opinion?

RW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2003, 02:29 AM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/defender.htm

Hope this helps,

Read
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Ron,
www.roverconnection.com also has them in black, if that is what you are looking for. I am thinking of black since I also have a white d90.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2003, 10:13 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

DAP has them for $65/pr. They're 2mm versus 3mm and don't come with any backing or hardware. With all that extra stuff and to paint 'em black it's a steal! Question is is that extra 1mm REQUIRED?
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:46 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Thanks all. I want the unfinished, not black, for the D90 by the way. I checked with George in New Orleans and he wants $235 a pair. I think I might go with Dap at $65 a pair. We'll see if I can find a set second hand first...
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:38 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

For what it's worth, I JUST installed the DAP wing top protectors this weekend. They actually do come with hardware, pre-drilled etc. I only had to drill a hole for the radio antenna.

They pop rivet on, and there are screws around the vents. I orginally wasn't crazy about the pop-rivets, but in fact I'm very pleased with the result.

2mm - 3mm.. whatever, there was no way I was spending over $200 for those things.

And, I have a white truck and I'm keeping it the natural aluminum color... I think it looks great as it is.

later,
Dave
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:03 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Dave,

Amazing that they don't mention the need to drill for the antenna!

Why didn't you put any backing down? I understand that this prevents water from collecting there, as it's surely not a watertight fit.

Have you tested the setup by standing on them? Seems awfully iffy for 2mm to be supportive.
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:19 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Arthur:

I honestly didn't even think to use a backing... and it most certainly isn't water tight. But what would be? I suppose some foam that stuck to both sides... Still will always have the chance for water egress I suppose. I hope this doesn't become a problem. What about all the 5-bar people put on the sills, and rear quarter panels, is that all backed with something? Hmmm.. I just don't know.

From my experience, the wings themselves are more than strong enough to support your weight, its just that the soft aluminum will crease and dent. This is what happened to mine.

Now the 5-bar hides those old creases, and doesn't crease and dent itself! So as I expected, I was able to walk on them fine.

Good luck
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:42 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, it appears that 2mm is fine then if you can walk on them.

For backing I would use a piece of rubber 1 or 2mm thick cut to the form of the protector. I would not dick around with cutting the rubber to fit the outer edge and the inner edge (vent hole), just use the entire area.

I would not use foam as the majority of that is air and can easily allow water in. If you want to do the edge thing you may try some silicone. This would seem to be best as it can form around any irregularities on your tops. The rubber solution will count on the thickness of the rubber to fill in the bumps. If they are substantial then silicone may be the only way to go. Even so, using silicone would leave a cavity between the two beads so I hope the plate doesn't flex! If so, you can put cross-brace beads of silicone to alleviate that.

I would use backing. I see trouble if any water gets under there. Not to mention any dirt that simply blows around. Or even mud thrown on top! Other plate on non-flat surfaces should be siliconed, especially the rear fender corners where you wouldn't be able to get a really tight rubber fit.

Also, did you use aluminum rivets? You should.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing

« Gm V8 | indicator's »