4 Wheel / Diff Lock - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 7th, 2007, 08:37 AM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

4 Wheel / Diff Lock

I have a 1997 D-90. While I realize the truck is in full time 4-wheel drive, Im a little confused about when to lock the differentials. When I go over soft sand for longer drives I usually air down the tires to about 15psi and lock the diff in high by moving the lever all the way to the left. On short stretches of sand I usually just leave it in the normal diff-lock off position. This past week I needed to drive over about 100 yards of soft sand. With diff lock off and full air in tires I got about 25 yards and started to bog down. I put diff lock on (high setting) and slowly accelerated; nothing. Wheels not moving. Aired down the tired and tried to move the truck in diff-lock off position. Still bogged. Move the difflock into lock high engine spun for a few secs and with a thunk it engaged and I was able to back out onto the road again. Mechanic said I should never have to lock the differentials unless Im really bogged down deep in something. Would appreciate your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Lock the center diff before you get bogged down. While you are still rolling.
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yep. even if you think you might need to lock the center in its best to do it before you need it.
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

thanks guys
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
only lock it when you're moving if driving very slowly. you don't want to slam the teeth in your transfercase by engaging lock with the axles turning at different rates..

and disengaging might not happen immediately. usually a little slow reverse action lock/unlock slow back and forth will get the thing to disengage.

GENTLE!

have fun
~Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel