4 Post Lift Capacity - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2016, 04:16 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
4 Post Lift Capacity

I need to start stacking cars in the garage and am in the market for a 4 post lift - I am finding the capacity ratings (and lack of) disconcerting.

Bendpak is the only manufacturer I've seen that shows the diminished capacity for their lifts based on wheelbase - Their HD 9STX (9000lbs lift) is only rated for 4500lbs if the vehicle has a 95" wheelbase, and only 2250lbs for a vehicle with a 80" wheelbase.

Direct Lift and most of the others don't give you this information and you have to look at the manual just to find out what wheelbase the overall lift rating is at (PP9 Plus is 9000lbs at 101") - when I called a sales rep and asked about a 90" wheelbase, he said the wheelbase didn't matter - he couldn't explain why the rating was at a specific wheelbase length.

Looking for anyone who has some knowledge of these capacity ratings and can recommend a lift that will meet the following requirements:

Lift a D90 with approx. weight of 4300lbs
Have at least 74" of clearance under the ramps when raised.
Trying to keep a small footprint, so shorter runways are preferred.
Would like it to be certified, but I'm not sure how important this is?
Was hoping to be under $3,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Call eagle equipment in Delaware they are super knowledgeable
Old July 15th, 2016, 05:59 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

I had great service from Bendpak. Brian Lockhart at asedeals.com (although based out of Connecticut) not only provided the best price from anyone, but had great follow-up customer service when I discovered a couple of problems with my order. He'll very straightforwardly answer your concern about lift capacity based on wheelbase.

I went with the HD-9XW for a few reasons: I was looking for a wider lift to fit a boat trailer beneath whatever I was storing up above; I wanted the maximum height possible, as I wanted a Defender to be able to clear the ramps if something else was stored up above (frustratingly, the 2-post lifts offer little in the way of height); and, of course, capacity. I have no trouble storing a Defender 90 at maximum lift height... so far. I seem to recall sharing your concerns about the length of a vehicle, but something put my (rather paranoid about personal safety) mind at ease.

I have to say, for routine service work, the 4-post design isn't ideal. Again, the 2-posts out there don'f offer much in the way of lift height... but, I have grown to appreciate some of the options that are unique to the 4-post design. Simple when you're just shuttling cars in and out for storage - no need to bend down to adjust arms; the ability to stand on for access to heights (in my case, I have access to a storage space by climbing a ladder and stacking things like tires on the ramps); and low ground clearance cars are easier to lift (although I've sold my Porsches, it's a life-time purchase... fingers crossed that I'll again have something with only inches between ground and exhaust).

Lastly, don't cheap out on the 110v like I did... it's exceedingly slow. Oh. And also budget for a compressor drier. I made mine out of various parts - but Bendpak won't warranty (especially the slide jack) for moisture damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2016, 12:44 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Thanks for all the input - the Bendpak HD9STX is on my short list with the minimum wheelbase being my main concern so I will give them a call. My main need is storage, so it seems to me 4 post is the way to go, with the ability to do some service using the lift being the bonus - also like the option of being able to move the lift if required without having to unbolt it. Just wish Bendpak made the tall version with shorter runways...
Thanks for the tip on 220 and the air dryer - luckily I have 220 and a compressor sitting right where I want to place the lift so it shouldn't be too much problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac