4.6 upgrade, $35,000????, etc - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

4.6 upgrade, $35,000????, etc

Previous owner of 95 ST Conniston Green, just bought a 94 ST Conniston Green today.
Checked underneath the vehicle to see exactly what I was getting. Already has upgraded stainless steel oil cooler lines. Good. Oil light goes on at idle. Ehhh.

1) I noticed a tank beneath the tub for a Badger fire suppression system. Anyone heard of such a thing? Going to trace the pipes and stuff tomorrow to see how this thing works.

2) I randomly called up ECR to get a quote for a 4.6 upgrade. Engine runs fine, with 150k miles. But just in case, curiosity. They quote me $35,000. Yes, not $3500. $35,000.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
2) I randomly called up ECR to get a quote for a 4.6 upgrade. Engine runs fine, with 150k miles. But just in case, curiosity. They quote me $35,000. Yes, not $3500. $35,000.

Opinions?

Will Tillery has a 4.6 motor for sale right now for $1000.

You could swap it out in a weekend with a few of your friends.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Opinions?
This could be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I picked up a 3.9 with 56k in it known runner for well under a grand

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:47 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Well the 3.9 is running fine for now. I keep on thinking the $35,000 was a misquote. Anyone get major work or upgrades done by ECR, and how much did it cost? Their reputation seems stellar, from what I could tell.
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Fun reads:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38072

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34930
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I think it depends on their workload. For grins, a year and a half ago I asked about engine swap and they were less than half of that. I was not looking at the pursuit engine but just a 4.6. I think there are plenty other additions that could add to the price but I was just looking for the engine. There was some available capacity with their mechanics so that must have played a role. They did mention if I needed body shop time, get on the waiting list.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

Opinions?
When you start pricing everything out with all new Genuine parts, cleaning/sandblasting/painting any old parts, and labour, I can see how it would be that much. It'd be a waste of money unless it is a show car IMO.

For that kind of money, I would be building a TVR 5.0l, and not a 4.6L.
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:11 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I think you can get a top notch 4.6 at Turner in the UK for a fraction of this price.
Old July 17th, 2013, 07:30 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im sure ECR swap looks like it was does at the factory. Build you a 4.6 and swap it yourself.
Old July 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Back to your 3.9. The previous owner may have had the oil changed at a lube shop and the wrong oil/filter may have been used. Change the oil, install a quality filter and use 20w-50 (hot weather) and then check your oil pressure with a guage. Chances are it's fine.

As far as the 4.6 goes...IMHO ECR does excellent work but if you want to tackle some of the work yourself, you can save some money. The Rover V8 is basically an American engine from the '60s and any good engine builder should be able to rebuild a 4.6 into what you want.
Old July 17th, 2013, 08:57 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
When you start pricing everything out with all new Genuine parts, cleaning/sandblasting/painting any old parts, and labour, I can see how it would be that much. It'd be a waste of money unless it is a show car IMO.

For that kind of money, I would be building a TVR 5.0l, and not a 4.6L.
Very True. A brand new( not rebuilt) in the factory crate 4.6 is not cheap. I think most of you would be surprised at "that" cost alone. While I'm not here trying to support ECR's fee's or shop, I will say that the whole time I worked there I have never witnessed a truck come back for rework due to poor workmanship, etc. The check out list/sheets that the techs fill out surpass any checkout sheet you would find at a dealership. It's quite thorough.

With that said, for 35K, I would build something far better than a 4.6, or any Rover V8 for that fact.

My advice is to find a reputable shop close to you and source a 4.6 on your own. It's a straightforward swap.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Let me add, I didn't meant to imply ECR doesn't do nice work.
They do.
There is a retired doctor here in Va that has 6 or 7 trucks that were "done up" by ECR.
I looked them over a few years ago and they were nice.
But it will cost you.

So like Jimmy said, if you're doing a fresh Gen-yoo-wine 4.6 build at ECR; I can see where $35K is the total.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
ECR is probably just politely telling you they don't want/need the business. No different than a law firm gouging clients that want unnecesary legal opinions on everthing under the sun. Their time can be spent on projects that bring bigger margins with less risk and greater certainty. That's good business.

Clay
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
ECR is probably just politely telling you they don't want/need the business. No different than a law firm gouging clients that want unnecesary legal opinions on everthing under the sun. Their time can be spent on projects that bring bigger margins with less risk and greater certainty. That's good business.

Clay
Could be, but that would be a shitty move on their part. They'd be better off just saying they don't have time and maybe recommending a shop that does.
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Could be, but that would be a shitty move on their part. They'd be better off just saying they don't have time and maybe recommending a shop that does.
You're forgetting something. They're the ONLY shop.
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Why do some think Defenders are difficult to work on to justify a premium? No reason to perpetuate this mystique as these trucks are rudimentary at best. Paying $35k for a 4.6 install is plain stupid. Yet it appears the boutique shops that market to this crowd run a healthy business to be selective with their clientele. More power to them.
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Why do some think Defenders are difficult to work on to justify a premium? No reason to perpetuate this mystique as these trucks are rudimentary at best. Paying $35k for a 4.6 install is plain stupid. Yet it appears the boutique shops that market to this crowd run a healthy business to be selective with their clientele. More power to them.
a change in displacement and possibly a rechip of the ECU, not even an engine conversion.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 17th, 2013, 04:20 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

http://www.turner-engineering.co.uk/html/V8engines.html
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I agree and add God bless America. If some people will pay these prices, then why not ask for it, I would. Free country and free market. I won't pay these prices, but I'm cheap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions