4.6 or 300 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

4.6 or 300 tdi

I'm trying to get a general price for some things for my dad...
The 4.0 on his 97 is on its way to either needing replaced or rebuilt on his D90 and he is wanting to just swap motors. Luckily he has the space, tools, and time to do it.

What is the average cost in parts to convert a 97 with the 4.0 to a 300 tdi?
I guess a used used 300 tdi with under 70,000 miles that is. Also what else besides the full motor is needed? Any adaptor plates or anything?
What are the other good diesel options?

Or the other option. I can get new 4.6 short blocks for $2500. The only additional costs with it would be heads and a few other things.

I know the 4.6 would be cheaper and easier but he seems interested in going to a diesel. So which would you guys do?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
a hot 4.6
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
If it was me, I'd rather have more power/hp, thus going with the 4.6. Abvously the TDi is great in regards to mpg, so it would seem like you and your dad needs to decide what's more important, along with the added cost of a 300 TDi.

Let us know what you end up going with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

4.6 unless you drive under water or more than 10-15k a year.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

Well the truck gets wheeled. But water has never been an issue with this truck. He plans to keep the truck for ever so he wants something that will last a long time. It only gets about 10 miles a day put on it normally, but both my dad and I take it on long trips frequently.

I'm told that I can get a used 300 tdi in the 60-70 thousand miles range shipped to my door for $5000. Does that sound right? I've never priced them before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

As the owner of a 200tdi and the erstwhile owner of a 4.0, I'm voting diesel. That having been said ... if you're the sort of person who wants a diesel, get a diesel. Otherwise, get the 4.6. I get probably 24mpg realistically with my 110 and the diesel as opposed to 16 or so with the 5spd Disco. Diesel's also slightly cheaper here although that may not be the case where you live.

The engines are simpler, and are "fast enough" in my opinion. I wouldn't want to go over around 110kph anyway so the fact that I can't (without different gearing) doesn't bother me. I can pull a trailer all day at 105 or so, unless I'm going up a steep hill. I can work on it myself, more so than with the V8.

However, parts are easier to find with the v8 and it has a LOT more power, if you're into that sort of thing. Most people are. My opinion is that if I want to hot rod around, I'm not doing it in my Land Rover anyway. IMHO the diesel suits the character of the vehicle better, and personally I much prefer it's character off-road to the V8.

If your dad has money to burn, I'd suggest seriously looking into the HS2.8 diesel. That's the route I'll go if and when I need to, if I can afford it. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hs2800TDI or www.obwcanada.com

There's also the question of legality. I don't know what the laws are like in your dad's state, but it's possible that he won't be able to legally put a diesel engine in his truck.

- Andrew.

P.S. Oh yeah:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...p=1%26fsoo%3D1

That will give you an idea of prices although I wouldn't necessarily suggest buying one from there. Here's a link to someone asking 2,400 for a new 300tdi:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300TDi-ENGINE-...QQcmdZViewItem
I've never done a conversion but I do know you'll need a lot more than what's contained in that auction to do one. OTOH that 2,400 would give you a new 300tdi if it's as advertised.

- Andrew.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

The 300Tdi manufacturing has been sold to a Brazilian Company
(according to LRE magazine) and this company also have
a 3.0 liters diesel engine with about 160 hp. I put a post
in chit-chat a few days ago with the link to the company.

I love V8, they are hot, but the non ecr Tdi is a tremendous
engine for a Defender ...
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For Wheeling, The TDI cant be beat.. I love mine and still cruise at 75mph on the highway
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:03 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
a hot 4.6
What he said... x2
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
What he said... x2
yea....x3
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

Well for $5,000 I can get a 300 tdi with 60K or less on it with everything (turbo, intercooler, radiator assembly, alternator, starter, etc...) shipped to my door with a warranty. Or at least the guy says it will only be that much; does that sound about right? So the only thing I would have to get would be the 300 tdi bell housing.

Then its only a matter of installing it, moving motor mounts bolting everything up and stuff I guess.

But I don't know. The final decision will be up to my dad since its his truck and $. I think he would rather do the tdi he's just not sure if he wants to spend that much I guess. The 4.0 in the truck should be okay until winter so its not a rush...

Oh and emissions and stuff here in TN is not a problem. And the speed of the diesel is fine for our use. Its not like we are going to be going more then 70-75 on swampers anyways. Plus diesel ranges from between the price of mid grade and premium gas here depending on what area your in. So it would be about the same price as the premium we fill up with now. It seems like in the long run the savings in fuel would make it a worthwhile swap...

Old June 19th, 2007, 01:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Tdi and v8 r380 are different, the V8 has a shorter input shaft. So you either need a new trans or have to convert the input shaft on the v8 trans.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:22 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Will - I don't think you'll ever be able to justify a diesel swap based on fuel economy. The costs will keep adding up as you get further into it. I'd say go diesel if you (your Dad) really want a diesel, you like the offroad characteristics, you love the smell of diesel, you need the range without carrying a bunch of fuel, you want to run on veggie oil someday, you enjoy going slow, you like listening to the diesel clatter, etc. If you want higher rpm performance and would like to get your truck back on the road faster, easier and cheaper, go with the 4.6.

BTW, do the 97's come with an auto? If so, there's more you'll need to do there for the Tdi. And as Jim C mentioned, some possible trans work for the R380 as well. And is your overall gearing (TC and axles) compatible?
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

I was wondering about that. Well it seems like the 4.6 would be the cheaper and easier way to go. Thats probably what we'll end up doing.

Old June 20th, 2007, 11:35 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

It seems like you want to get the Tdi .. probably because of the mere interest and fascination in getting one .. honestly they are not for everyday driving more of an off-roader enthusiast type of deal (at least that is my own opinion and probably arguable) so i would go with the 4.6 seriously its easier. Unless you are totally into that kind of thing and like to put a lot of time into it dont go tdi ..
im not knocking tdi's at all i think they are sick as f#ck
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

forget the land rover engine and put in a Cummins 4bt!
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
Nah, that's the people who are crazy enough to try to put them in.
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
It seems like you want to get the Tdi .. probably because of the mere interest and fascination in getting one .. honestly they are not for everyday driving more of an off-roader enthusiast type of deal (at least that is my own opinion and probably arguable) so i would go with the 4.6 seriously its easier. Unless you are totally into that kind of thing and like to put a lot of time into it dont go tdi ..
You definately have no Idea what you are talking about.
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I agree that the 4.6 is way easier and much cheaper. I have a 4.6. I love it. I did it, however, because I could not afford the expense of the TDI. IF I could do either without the money concern, I would do the TDI without a doubt. For daily driving, for off roading, for gas mileage, for torque, it reigns supreme. The only reason I see to do a 4.6 is if you want off the line acceleration and speed, which if that is what you are after, don't get a D90. I would HIGHLY suggest the TDI which I feel is superior in just about every realm.
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

I think my dad and I agree that the tdi would be cool. The idea just came up when we were talking about what we are going to do with the motor situation with the truck. So I'm not sure what we are going to do. The 4.6 would be easier, cheaper, and faster to do.
I just kind of need to get an idea of about how much it would be to get all the parts needed for the tdi and everything needed to make the swap work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi