4.6 or 300 tdi - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 21st, 2007, 03:30 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I did a 4.6 from RPI. It ended up being about $10k. After driving back and forth from Island Beach a few times and filling up the tank more than a few times I wish I had went with the TDI. Do a lot of research on sourcing the engine before hand. There are plenty of guys who will do a stroker crank 5.0 L or more on your current 3.9 for way less than any engine from RPI. And that way you could use all forged parts. Search for guys who build Buick V8s. Then you don't have to worry about any fitment issues and if something goes wrong you have someone to take it to. Why don't you drive a diesel to see how you like the feel? It is a different animal. It is not as fast as a V8 but it develops torque at a much lower RPM. Although a torquey V8 will develop more torque than a stock TDI, you will not have to rev the diesel past 2000 rpms to get peak torque (if you don't want). You might want to think about the changes to the gearing with diesel... you will want taller gears to get up to speed at a lower rpm.
Bottom line... drive them and see...
Another consideration is range.
If you want to go on long journeys without refueling, diesel is the way to go.
Gas is better for speed but you get about 1/2 range.
But no matter what you do... a defender is still shaped like a concrete block on wheels, so it will never be really fast.
And imo the 4.6 is not that much better than the 3.9. What like 45 hp? You feel a difference but not that much.
Unless you are going to do a stroker V8 with over 300HP I vote diesel.
Besides... you will have a fun time doing it with your dad, and a unique truck the way it should have been imported... not a bastard 3.9 plenum sitting on a 4.6 :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRedD90
I think my dad and I agree that the tdi would be cool. The idea just came up when we were talking about what we are going to do with the motor situation with the truck. So I'm not sure what we are going to do. The 4.6 would be easier, cheaper, and faster to do.
I just kind of need to get an idea of about how much it would be to get all the parts needed for the tdi and everything needed to make the swap work.
4.6 will be WAAYY cheaper. And way easier to boot.
If you are thinking 2.8 (300tdi newer brother) I got a quote for $25k to get it installed, turnkey. Most of this is cost is stuff - motor was close to $9k shipped, then dealing with new fuel lines, intercooler, radiator, new gearbox, engine mounts to name a few. 300Tdi would be cheaper, but still not cheap like another v8. If you do the work yourself, you'll save some, but you still likely will need to get a whole host of different bits and pieces to do the swap. Then you have to consider getting parts - probably harder than it is with a v8 today (which is hard enough compared to a local common truck like a toy, or even a sami).
That said my current commuter car is a diesel, and I'd go tdi if you got the $$. But thats just me.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
For Wheeling, The TDI cant be beat.. I love mine and still cruise at 75mph on the highway
X2. Best move I ever made..... 300tdi is an awesome engine. You say your Dad plans to keep his 90 for ever so I would go for the 300tdi. In the long run it's the best way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You'll get hit with way more panties with a 300 TDi than a 4.6. But, I think it has a lot to do with how much slower your going.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

How can I get hit with panties? Do tell! This is an experience I want.
I even have one of those really cool aluminum wingtop vents.....
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbo
How can I get hit with panties? Do tell! This is an experience I want.
I even have one of those really cool aluminum wingtop vents.....
I heard you get panties thrown at you in the south when you drive a Landy. That dosen't happen here in Los Angeles, women don't like Defenders. If its a gas guzzler, your a "war mongering conservative" here in Kommiville. 99.9% of all the women here are left wing liberals. The only chicks that will throw panties at you here are the ones that have no teeth and like crystal meth and live in the inland empire. It's all about the hybrids here.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
I heard you get panties thrown at you in the south when you drive a Landy. That dosen't happen here in Los Angeles, women don't like Defenders. If its a gas guzzler, your a "war mongering conservative" here in Kommiville. 99.9% of all the women here are left wing liberals. The only chicks that will throw panties at you here are the ones that have no teeth and like crystal meth and live in the inland empire. It's all about the hybrids here.

Neil
Sounds hot!
So what you're saying is, if I cruise around in a Prius, even better a Yaris...I can pull hot chicks in LA? Seriously???
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Sounds hot!
So what you're saying is, if I cruise around in a Prius, even better a Yaris...I can pull hot chicks in LA? Seriously???
Yes!! If you are a earth conscious tree hugger that makes 70k and up, (hybrid car, pro-illegals, hillary/Obama luver, indie music, friendly to gays) you'll get tons of poon in LA. It also helps if you look somewhat androgenous. ex: emo kid on myspace.com

Neil

PS: If you don't believe me, ask Departing90 if this is true.

Robert Deniro
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
You definately have no Idea what you are talking about.
hahahaha

you're funny, i was merely posting a comment which is what this board is for so relax...
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Yes!! If you are a earth conscious tree hugger that makes 70k and up, (hybrid car, pro-illegals, hillary/Obama luver, indie music, friendly to gays) you'll get tons of poon in LA. It also helps if you look somewhat androgenous. ex: emo kid on myspace.com

Neil

70K and up? More like 150K. The rest is right, but LA sucks anyway. San Diego is the schizzit, and a polar opposite.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

agreed
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:

Neil

Watch it there. I for one am an over-educated high salary, tree hugging, obama loving, & gay friendly offroader. I just happen to drive a gas guzzling land rover because the Prius a) doesn't look anywhere near as cool as a D, b) can't handle going up Holy Cross city trail, and c) doesn't look anywhere near as cool as a D.

PS-I voted for Clinton. Twice.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:13 AM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
Watch it there. I for one am an over-educated high salary, tree hugging, obama loving, & gay friendly offroader.............PS-I voted for Clinton. Twice.
HMMMMMMM? I would have thought the "offroader" part would have cancelled out everything else
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

The offroader part just means I get stuff thrown at me by BOTH sides & very not-cool about everywhere I go except here in Evergreen CO where people just seem to go along with it. At least my kid loves me.

BT
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Cheers from an ultra left wing, hippy pinko, buddhist, tree hugger, biodiesel makin, off-roader with 5 Land Rovers in the driveway.

Just because you off road does not mean you are a high school drop out, gun totin' hunter, John Birch society republican, right wing ultra conservative, Bush luvin', PTL watchin', Wal-Mart shoppin' with ur truck still runnin in the parkin lot, planet ruiner.

But we welcome you wierdos none the less.
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:34 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Just because you off road does not mean you are a high school drop out, gun totin' hunter, John Birch society republican, right wing ultra conservative, Bush luvin', PTL watchin', Wal-Mart shoppin' with ur truck still runnin in the parkin lot, planet ruiner.

You can always go on a Jeep Jamboree if you need their company
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Hey honey, hold my beer 'n' watch this...
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:25 PM
flynn23
Scott Kozicki
97 NAS D90 SW

Any decision on the engine swap? This is a good thread, since I've been considering the same thing. I've got plenty of headroom left on my 4.0, but I'd like to buy the engine/parts now while they're still in supply and just store them until I need to do the swap. My D90 does both urban prowling and wheeling, so I'm kinda stuck. I like the longevity that the TDI would probably give me, but not sure about the noise and the exhaust soot. I do like the fact that a lot of people are tweeking diesels now to up the power. Plus ripping out the whole drive train front of the tc sounds like it would cause a bunch of headaches. You know how it goes. Go to fix one thing and find out 4 other things need 'fixing' too. Any other guys on here do the swap? What was involved in detail? My 97 D90 is an auto tranny.
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
Watch it there. I for one am an over-educated high salary, tree hugging, obama loving, & gay friendly offroader. I just happen to drive a gas guzzling land rover because the Prius a) doesn't look anywhere near as cool as a D, b) can't handle going up Holy Cross city trail, and c) doesn't look anywhere near as cool as a D.

PS-I voted for Clinton. Twice.
So by driving a gas guzzling D90, your not being true to your liberal ideologies. I'm not saying that all liberals are spineless, I'm just saying shouldn't you ask yourself this question before you step into your D..."Would Al Gore approve of this car?" I wonder if you'd flip flop in your politics if rovers were targeted instead of guns by liberal democrats.

Robert Deniro
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I'm just saying shouldn't you ask yourself this question before you step into your D..."Would Al Gore approve of this car?"
Trick question! Are we talking about for himself or the rest of us peasants? With that hypocrite, I wouldn't be surprised if he had 3 Defenders that he towed behind a 5 ton with straight pipes.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi