4.6 or? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:41 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

4.6 or?

I am starting to plan for an engine change. While the chip I purchased helps, the 90 is just to slow for me. I do lots of short drives (15 - 20 minutes) all day in heavy stop and go traffic. So the quickness is mainly what I am after.

I know ECR will install a 4.6 or larger motor. I have talked with them. But I would have to give them my Rover for a while and it is quiet expensive. I am looking for an alternative source for just the motor as I have someone locally who is going to help me install it.

I know about RPI. Has anyone purchased complete motors from them? Do they have a U.S. distributor? Are there other sources? And what size motor would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Could go this route: 1. find a used 4.6 from a rangie or disco in a yard. Optional: 2. Install high perf cam, lifters.

DW
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

What I really want is something like 340 hp. Know where I can get one of those??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

www.tvrpower.co.uk

Have no idea what it'd cost, unless you stumble across one in a warehouse, that is.

DW
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:15 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

thanks
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
tbmcneill

For that kind of HP, take a look at Chevy small blocks unless you're just 'wanting' a Rover motor. They're a lot cheaper. It'll be moderately heavier, but no more than Tdi land.
T
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, you want 340HP so you can go quick in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes a day.

What?!

Sounds like you'll be flooring it a lot. You'll be in the market for more than a motor if that's the plan.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:30 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Art, before you get too excited, please understand that was somewhat of a joke with Doug since he just bought a 4.6 w/340 hp. I think he is de-tuning it some and the hp will be somewhat lower.

I do not have to have 340 hp however I do want a lot more power. Would I take a 4.6 w/340 hp like Doug found, apparently at a good price? Yes. And if I have to do other things to support that power, then I will do that. And it's all day driving 20 mins. at a time in stop and go traffic. I am not racing stop light to stop light but anyone who has driven a 97 automatic with the 4.0 engine in town will admit they are slow.

Troy I have thought about other motors but I think i will stay with a Rover.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:39 PM
rvrsrvc
Trevor Griffiths
71 109 double cab

My local salvage yard has an '03 Disco II that was totalled at 525 miles. Almost new 4.6 for around $3900. And, I'll bet they take offers!
I put a 4.6 with a distributor in my Discovery and have found it quite a bit different than my 150k mile 3.9! I have 4.10 gearing ordered and have fitted the GBR big caliper kits, so I 'll post my new 0 to 60 to 0 times as soon as that project is done!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:53 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Rick, good joke.

I have a 97 and don't find the power lacking at all. Just adjust the kickdown cable to change the shift point and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Rick,

My 97 is actually quite lively and is great in stop and go traffic, so perhaps it's just your engine/overall set-up. I have a K&N and NRP exhaust, no chip stock tires and gearing. Try de-carbonizing your engine. The dealer charges around 175 for the service but the transformation is noticeable.

Hopping up your engine could get quite expensive and complicated to do right with the GEMS system. Go to www.rpiv8.com. They have some very interesting pages on the GEMS system. ECR has some info on the ECM as well. Another suggestion would be finding someone in your area with the ROVACOM system if you do swap. They might be able to get the programming right. There is a book on the rover engine. I forgot it's name, though. Supposed to be an in depth ode to performance manual.

www.aluminumv8.com D&D fabrications are dedicated to the rover/olds engines and have an extensive list of upgrades and are stateside here in the midwest - michigan i believe. could give them a call. But you still have to overcome the GEMS system itself, which may or may not recognize any improvement you decide to do...

Someone was selling the 5.0? installed by ECR on this site. Search the for sale section. They were doing a deisel swap and were asking a reasonable price for the engine. That will get you an awesome engine for your truck. Could also grab that ECM from them which was re-programmed by ECR to accept the mods as well.

Search the pirate4x4 board as well. I remember a thread about engine mods that was quite interesting. There were some other sites listed and a good overview of what people had done and what they're experiences were.

Hope that helps. You'll have to forgive my feable de-carbonioze your engine suggestion. It's all I got at the moment! Got to justify the 175 I spent

EwS
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Interceptor 5.2 for sale mentioned above...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=4279#post4279

Hard to pass up. Might have to go over the finances once more....
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Eric,

I remember the 5.2 being for sale now that you mention it. I will send the guy an email and see if he still has it. Also thanks for the other info. I will check them out as well.

Trevor, I may go the route of findng a wreck. just doing my homework right now. And that sounds like a good deal. I just have to check into the GEMS info Eric mentions. I don't want to pay for power that never gets to the ground. I have thought of the 4.10 gears but was discouraged locally by someone who said I would regret that if I ever took highway trips with the truck. How do you like yours on the highway?

I don't think there is anything wrong with my 97. It's just me and my style of driving and what I do daily. I'm sure for many, the power is fine on the 97/auto. I am just looking for something quicker/more responsive.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Rick
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I sold the 5.2, but I have to tell all you guys it was not that great....well off the line that is. That engine was set up for high rpm power. It certainly had that, at about 65mph it had break neck acceleration, but who wants to go 100mph in there d90....especially with a 2.5" lift and big tires! I would go with a 4.6 set up with a lower rpm torque range. I have had a 290hp 4.6 and I like it allot more than the 5.2. All of the work was done by JE Engineering in the UK. They did a great job. The 4.6 would keep up with the 5.2 until about 65mph at which time the 5.2 would go off and leave it. The 5.2 was not that great for off roading as you had to really get it spinning to get any hp out of it. That is just my take on the above, since I have had the pleasure to own both.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

This is good information Jeromy. I have no desire, as well, to go 100 mph in my D-90.
Maybe that is why when I contacted ECR they immediately steered me away from the 5.2 They highly recommended the 4.6 to solve my acceleration issues.
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:01 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I have a 97 and don't find the power lacking at all. Just adjust the kickdown cable to change the shift point and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Where is the adjustment? Can you take a picture of where it is?

Thanks
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Go here for details:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244983

I did this last year and it works for me.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

My Brother in law and I recently completed a 4.6 swap into his 1994 Range Rover. We used a 4.6 short block out of a DII along with a Crane Cam (P/N 900531), roller timing set and lifters from Summit Racing. The performance is very good with a noticable seat of the pants difference. It is basically a bolt in swap. We did have the heads machined to take the recommended dual valve spring combination. The only other concerns are making a spacer for the crankshaft and making sure the oil pan has adequate clearance for the new crank throws. In your case I'd probably stick with the factory cam...we had to change it to accomodate the distributor drive. 340HP may be a little much for the stock driveline to handle in the long run.
Cheers,
Rob Dassler
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Buy a sports car.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Thanks for the input Rob.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions