4.6 or 2.8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

4.6 or 2.8

Been reading all the threads regarding this, and am still torn.

So Im finally consolidating vehicles as I am within 6 months of moving yet again. I have 151K on the NAS V8 drivetrain which needs about $2k in maintenance (new y pipe, exhaust, O2s, etc) and would like to make her my daily driver. In that regard, I had pretty much made up my mind to convert to a 2.8 TGV, but Ive been having second thoughts today. Been reading about over heating issues on new 2.8s, parts availability, $15k conversion investment, and those big 7% grades out west. Id also like the power to pull a 22 foot 5k pound boat short distances to the ramps.

So been surfing again, and am wondering if a 4.6 would be a better option. Turner in the UK has a stripped reman with all the usual upgrades at 3100 pounds minus shipping. Im assuming that engine is good for 275 plus HP and Torque. Im getting around 10 MPG right now, but thats with crazy M/Ts (285), shot exhaust and cats/o2s, etc. Id be ok getting 14-16 mpg.

So, what says everyone? Is there a better source for a mildly tuned 4.6 or should I stay with the 2.8 plans? I do want to keep the conversion Roverish, so no Cummins/Isuzu/SBC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

4.6 from Atlantic British.

With the 5 speed it would be a rocket ship. You will still need the y pipe etc.

The 2.8 is nice but louder, slower, etc. I'm sure either way you would be happy but for my money, daily use, nothing beats the drivability of the v8.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Isuzu 4BD1 and 4BD1T are Roverish. Factory fit for the AUS market.

It sounds like you have a three horned dilemma. IMO, a conversion can be (pick 2) Fun, Easy or Cheap. You can have:
Easy and Cheap but not much Fun
Easy and Fun but not Cheap or
Cheap and Fun but not Easy
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I dont have an issue with the initial financial investment, but obviously Im looking for a correlating return in ability to do what I want it to do. i just have visions of my $15k engine going 45 mph up Snoqualmie or not being able to source parts for it 5 years from now. Maybe Im just talking myself back to petrol....

If i went 4.6, Id like a mildly worked stripped engine. i think ABs are stock short blocks? Turner also offers a port/polished heads and mild cam with the block for 3100 pounds. i realize a good mechanic can do all this....

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 08:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
Isuzu 4BD1 and 4BD1T are Roverish. Factory fit for the AUS market.

It sounds like you have a three horned dilemma. IMO, a conversion can be (pick 2) Fun, Easy or Cheap. You can have:
Easy and Cheap but not much Fun
Easy and Fun but not Cheap or
Cheap and Fun but not Easy
ha ha. true.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

If you want a gasser, go for it. I've been there and won't go back. You've thrown around a bunch of different engine types. Engines that each require a different driving style. Everything from the baby rover v8, to the small rover diesels, to some truck based diesel options. A good case could be made for each. Before you lay down $$, talk to people who have been down the road before you. There are a bunch of guys on the board with the 2.8, 200 and 300, at least one with the 4BD1T and many with some flavor of rover v8. Decisions about the rest of your drive train should wait until you know what engine you're going with.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:43 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

No, I really appreciate any input on this. 99% of you all know 100% more than I do about Rovers so any input is great. Im trying to link up this next week to drive a 300 in Atlanta...
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
come up to Charlotte and you can test drive my 2.8.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

i would go with the 300. great engine.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

I converted my 3.9 V8 to the 2.8 Tdi and i am very happy...but it's not my daily driver.

Now, if I were to rebuild for a daily driver, I would go 4.6 V8 all the way. For the two key reasons already mentioned (1) quicker and (2) less noisy.

Higher MPG fuel cost for 4.6 is offset by higher initial OOP cost for 2.8.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Nothing beats the rumble of 4.6L V8 IMO...
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
come up to Charlotte and you can test drive my 2.8.
Id love to, Ill be up in Charleston in December and if I havent done anything yet, I may. How is it on grades? It is your DD right?

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 08:56 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeena river rover
i would go with the 300. great engine.
i would like to keep my ZF.

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 08:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale
I converted my 3.9 V8 to the 2.8 Tdi and i am very happy...but it's not my daily driver.

Now, if I were to rebuild for a daily driver, I would go 4.6 V8 all the way. For the two key reasons already mentioned (1) quicker and (2) less noisy.

Higher MPG fuel cost for 4.6 is offset by higher initial OOP cost for 2.8.
Thanks. I was hoping you and Overlander would chime in.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I drove a defender with a 2.8, very impressive.
For a dd, I would be concerned with parts availability. Parts-o-plenty here for the rover v8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:31 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

so i guess the big question is, can a 2.8 hold speed at 7% grades, and without temp issues? I really think that is what is bothering me. My last two non DD vehicles were Cummins powered so I am a huge fan of diesels in general, diesels with up to 1000 lb ft of torque I wish the VAG 3.0 Tdi was a drop and play engine into the Defenders.....
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:41 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I went to a 4.6 in my 110. The power is awesome, but my only complaint is that on long trips (3+ hrs), the floorboards will cook your feet off. Even after ceramic coating the manifolds, heat reflectors on top of the cats and adding a heat reflective layer under the factory carpet and sound deadening layer (3 layers inside). It's nice in the winter, but in the summer...not so much.

I have a diesel in the other rover. While there isn't a heat problem, there's plenty of noise to make up for it. Freeway speeds aren't a problem. I like both and don't think I could pick just one; that'd be a tough decision.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I owned a 4,6 before. Nice and smooth but it was terrible on gas. I had to stop on almost gas station to get gas
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I would hope to get 14 min with the 4.6. Pipe dream?
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
The 2.8 is fine on grades, but it's not a V8 either. You have to watch EGT's, but no issue on coolant temps with my upgraded radiator (must have in my opinion). I do around 55-60 up mountain grades, but I'm a heavy overland 110 beeyoch. I would have to imagine the 2.8 would be a damn rocket in a D90. Soundproofing is a must, and has done a lot, but there is still valve train clatter that needs controlling. Once SafariHP gets some 300 TDI acoustic engine covers in, I'm going to slap one on my engine and see if it improves the clatter. Once that's gone, I should have massive sound improvement.

Mine is a kid carpool lane and go to work DD. Very Clark Kent/Superman kind of duality. Without the RTT and other gear on the roof, it would be even more zippy around town.

I get about 18mpg. Been trying to tune to hit 20 but may be a pipe dream with the roof gear. I would think a D90 could hit 20 with a 2.8, or better. You could even run 1.2 tranny since you'd be so much lighter.

Also, the 2.8 torque is just at the max of the R380, so you need to have the latest, strongest R380 and Tcases avail.

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:06 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Not a pipe dream. I average 14.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:25 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
The 2.8 is fine on grades, but it's not a V8 either. You have to watch EGT's, but no issue on coolant temps with my upgraded radiator (must have in my opinion). I do around 55-60 up mountain grades, but I'm a heavy overland 110 beeyoch. I would have to imagine the 2.8 would be a damn rocket in a D90. Soundproofing is a must, and has done a lot, but there is still valve train clatter that needs controlling. Once SafariHP gets some 300 TDI acoustic engine covers in, I'm going to slap one on my engine and see if it improves the clatter. Once that's gone, I should have massive sound improvement.

Mine is a kid carpool lane and go to work DD. Very Clark Kent/Superman kind of duality. Without the RTT and other gear on the roof, it would be even more zippy around town.

I get about 18mpg. Been trying to tune to hit 20 but may be a pipe dream with the roof gear. I would think a D90 could hit 20 with a 2.8, or better. You could even run 1.2 tranny since you'd be so much lighter.

Also, the 2.8 torque is just at the max of the R380, so you need to have the latest, strongest R380 and Tcases avail.
Thanks, that is encouraging. Has parts availability been an issue? Sound is a non issue with me, I grew up with diesel clatter and rather enjoy it. I am hoping to keep the ZF though.

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 10:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Not a pipe dream. I average 14.
Good to hear. What size tires/gearing do you run? Where did you source your 4.6 from or what is a rebuild from a RR?

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 10:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac

Thanks, that is encouraging. Has parts availability been an issue? Sound is a non issue with me, I grew up with diesel clatter and rather enjoy it. I am hoping to keep the ZF though.

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 10:29 PM ------

Good to hear. What size tires/gearing do you run? Where did you source your 4.6 from or what is a rebuild from a RR?
I may have a lead on a 2.8 "locally.".
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I can say now that parts availability isn't nearly as bad as when I first got it. the real problem is documentation of parts. Many of the service items are 300 TDI part numbers. I have the parts catalogue for the 2.8, and it's easy to tell a LR part from a MWM part number. I just installed a 300 tdi water pump on mine as an example, and the timing case gasket, p gasket, entire rocker valve assembly are all 300 tdi. I could keep going. anything unique is not going to need routine replacement. block is bored iron, so you won't have trouble with that head and turbo are the big cha-ching items, so you need to take care of them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions