4.6 or 2.8 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
What size tires/gearing do you run? Where did you source your 4.6 from or what is a rebuild from a RR?
285 tires, R380, 1.4 Tcase and stock diff. The 4.6 was from AB that I bought used locally with ~7k mi on it (long story). Ported and polished the heads.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I run a Zf 4Hp22 behind my 300Tdi in my D90, (130K miles now) just as they run them in the Disco I in the UK. The Zf has no problem being behind the 2.8 either, it just needs the correct torque converter (see Ashcroft's) I run stock size tires, mt. grades slow me down to 50mph, mileage, 22 to 25 mpg's.
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I am very happy with the way my 110 with a 4.6 tows a trailer combination of 8k lbs (tractor and bushog etc.).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
It's no 2.8 or 300 but let me know if you'd like to take my 200 for a spin to get some idea of what it's like since I'm in Columbus also.
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

What is wrong with the 4.0?

It seems to me that you just need some 02 sensors and an exhaust. ~$400 for the y-pipe, $600 for a borla (worth every penny) or $250 for a non-SS one and a couple hundred for the front 02 sensors (the rear don't do much so if they don't throw a code you can use old ones).

A 2.8 will never pass an OBD II scan so consider that for resale as many people won't be able to register it. Also, a 4.6 conversion on a GEMS truck is not as easy as on a 14CUX truck.
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
rrubino2
Rod Rubino

I'm at 850 miles on a brand new AB 4.6 (w/T-tops) in the 97 D90. Love it. Went back and forth as to installing it or a 2.8. In the end speed/$$ won out. It was a tough choice as there were (may still be) two band new 2.8's sitting at a shop about a mile from my house vs. having to ship the 4.6 from NY to CO.

Total cost including shipping, install, new radiator and other parts was right at $10K. The 2.8 would have been a min of $15K just for the engine.

The extra HP is notable and appreciated, especially on the steep grades going up both Boulder Canyon and I 70. I haven't had the chance yet to pull a trailer as I did with the old engine, but I'm sure the extra umph will be welcomed. The 4.0 towing a trailer loaded with a Can Am SxS UTV was really a dog going up over the divide.

Haven't really compared fuel economy other than to say that the 4.6 seems a bit thirstier than the 4.0 but I assumed that would be the case.

As a side note, also had a "new" Rover North 2.25 engine installed in one of the Series trucks. What a difference that made as well. The engine had been sitting under a tarp in my driveway for the last 8 years and fired right up (on the ground, not even in the truck) when oil and fuel were put in. The thing pulls like it never has and is really a blast to drive now.

Best part is that there are now a lot fewer oil stains in the driveway as the two new engines have yet to start leaking. Luckily the other two Series trucks are still bleeders so the oil is still flowing - albeit on a smaller scaleJ

Good luck with it!
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I run a Zf 4Hp22 behind my 300Tdi in my D90, (130K miles now) just as they run them in the Disco I in the UK. The Zf has no problem being behind the 2.8 either, it just needs the correct torque converter (see Ashcroft's) I run stock size tires, mt. grades slow me down to 50mph, mileage, 22 to 25 mpg's.
This is a very cool conversion and one I would like to do to my own after Dennis let me crawl over, under and around his Defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
What is wrong with the 4.0?

It seems to me that you just need some 02 sensors and an exhaust. ~$400 for the y-pipe, $600 for a borla (worth every penny) or $250 for a non-SS one and a couple hundred for the front 02 sensors (the rear don't do much so if they don't throw a code you can use old ones).

A 2.8 will never pass an OBD II scan so consider that for resale as many people won't be able to register it. Also, a 4.6 conversion on a GEMS truck is not as easy as on a 14CUX truck.
x2 - I run my original 4.0 albeit with fewer miles and DD it in good weather. I thought it was underpowered so when it needed new cats I put a new NRP exhaust on it that helped it breathe a lot better. But the biggest change came when I re-geared to 3.9's. Now it is a virtual rocket ship. I run 265/75/16 BFG KM2's. Until I did gearing it was doggy in canyons. If I had to do it again I might go 4.11's.

Although I too want a 300 or 2.8, but in a Classic.

Good luck with your decision.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

I'm with Ron on this one too. If you convert to the 4.6, you'll still need those same $2k worth of maintenance items mentioned. I have the 3.9 in my 90 and have no issues with it. Power is adequate as far as I'm concerned. Sure, more is better, but I have no issues with it as is since the 90 is fairly light compared with a disco/rrc.

A Tdi might be nice, but will cost an arm and a leg in comparison. I just did the Tdi conversion in my range rover and love it. But I'd only suggest it if you MUST have a diesel. If you can't decide - stick with the V8. Smoother, quieter, more powerful and most importantly - you already have it in there.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Do the exhaust with a Borla, and while you are at it, have the heads reconditioned. Put in a Crower camshaft. You will gain the same HP (probably more) as a bone stock 4.6 and you are up about 8 grand.
I would only do a diesel conversion if I were building up a new truck.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I repowered my discovery with an HS2.8 in 2006 and really like it. It was a 4.0 liter with 4HP22 autobox. I kept entire tranny stock, including torque converter and it has been just fine. I am sure it could be better with a retuned converter from behind a 4.6 v8 as ashcroft suggests, but my setup is solid and has been for 6 years now.
No cooling problems with standard radiator at all, but Discovery does have more air volume moving through from what i have heard.
What really impressed me was how gracefully and predictably this setup pulls the vehicle up, for example, a high curb with very light throttle.
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:22 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks for all the feedback, great stuff. This thread should be a great resource for anyone going through the discovery period like I have been.

I have decided to keep what I got until it or I die. I know my lead foot will be disappointed with any Rover diesel, and there is no reason right now to upgrade to a 4.6 when the 4.0 lump is doing fine. I will be updating/upgrading a lot of crap on the truck, however, so I'll be listing all the take off and re-usuable stuff on the For Sale forum as I get to it. Seats, Tires, Dash Parts, Cage, Lighting, etc....
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:25 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I know my lead foot will be disappointed with any Rover diesel.
have you driven a TDV6?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:39 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
have you driven a TDV6?
No, but I'm quite sure it would be a blast. I should have said, "Any Rover diesel that doesn't take an act of God to put into Defenders on this side of the pond..."
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac

No, but I'm quite sure it would be a blast. I should have said, "Any Rover diesel that doesn't take an act of God to put into Defenders on this side of the pond..."
Ok the act of god clause! I hear you on that.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions