4.6 install will it work - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:23 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

4.6 install will it work

Hello all,
Im thinking about buying a 4.6 engine and ZF from Jason in FLA and was wondering if it is possible to install both in my 95 d90.

Has anybody done this before/ What would I need to do to convert from the 3.9 5 speed to the 4.6 and ZF?

Will I need to change the ECU , Motor mounts, radiator, drive shafts, speedo cable, exhaust ??

Is there enough room to install it ?
Thanks for any and all input
ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:52 PM
tbmcneill

ron-
are you buying a complete engine??

there is enough room. motor mounts are the same; ECU is different; driveshafts are the same; i don't know about the radiator, but i would think it would have a bigger capacity; speedo cable 'should' be the same; same with exhaust.

basically, a 4.6 and 4.0 are the same cross-bolted, distributorless designed motor ... just different capacities and chip. the 3.9 is totally different, however .... there are some reuseable parts.

make sure you're getting everything for the auto including cooling lines, etc ... & you'll need a center console.

check out RPi's FAQ ... it'll give you a breakdown of everything you need and what to consider.
T
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:47 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

troy, thanks its the whole engine . I assume that the 4.0 and the 3.9 have the same motor mounts etc.
Thats what I have in my 95 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2004, 01:44 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

To use the 4.6 in you truck you would really need to pull the front cover and Distributor off your 3.9 and mount it on the 4.6... Good time for a cam change
Use your stock ecu, intake components and wiring harness... Trying to put an obd2 engine in an obd1 car is a PITA... Use the short block and sell the rest.. It will work very nicely...
If you have further questions you can mail or call my # is on the site..

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I have done the conversion with an RPI engine...

There are a few small differences in the 3.9 block and the 4.0/4.6 block.
The 4.0/4.6 is GEMS and runs without a old-school distributor. The camshaft is different on the gems models so it has to be replaced. You will also need a different fuel map in your ecu to supply more fuel. A 3.9 fuel map will probably destroy a 4.6 engine. I think you might be able to get away with using a 4.2 ecu (if you can find one). You can also get a chip from RPI and possibly other companies that will go in your ecu and work with the 4.6. You will pay for it though! The crankshaft on the 4.6 is also an inch or so longer... so you need to fabricate a spacer so that everything fits. The spacer should be turned on a lathe out of stainless (unlike the one from rpi). Just measure the difference on the shafts and measure the od with a caliper. Any machine shop will make quick work of this spacer! I had no problems with oil pan clearance and the crankshaft... although I have heard of this being a potential problem. take out the plugs and turn the crank with the pan dry fitted to see if it scrapes. then fix it with a hammer.

Don't even think about carrying over the computer from the 4.6 into the 3.9. I wouldn't even know how to hook that baby up. The GEMS computer is much more sophisticated (not better). I would go with a performance cam shaft. These engines are dogs stock. I am happy with the 4.6 stage 1 in my defender. It is a bit less power than I like, but at the time I couldn't justify the extra $1000 for another few hp (stage 3). Now I wish I had.

I am sure I am leaving something out... Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You can also get one of the hybrid timing covers off of '95 Discovery(?) that had serpentine belts and distributors. I believe this is what Mike Hippert used to get his back on the road again. That way you can use the 4.6 with the stock ECU and a re-chip. Much simpler install, but those covers are hard to get and not the cheapest things.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yep! Thats what I did, you should be able to find the cover for not too much at a Rover wreck yard, they are on 94 and 95 discos just make sure it has the hole for the distributer in it and the small water pump. You can also change to the older style 3.9 front cover and transfer over all the aux stuff from a 3.9.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

It looks like the 4.6 swap details have been covered pretty well here. What is the auto box out of? You will want to use a ZF4HP22 out of a classic RR or D1 or 97 D90. The electronically shifted transmissions out of the D2 or P38 RR require their own ECU and it has to interface with the OBD2 computer for certain data inputs. The most effective swap you can do is to put the 4.6 block under your current fuel management system with the distributor and use a non-electronic ZF auto.
Rob
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I purchased a 1995 disco and will be taking the engine, tranny and tranfer case out and put it in my 1995 defender. Im also going to try and use the console.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

-----------IMO---------------------FWIW
I would use a 5 speed manual, unless you drive in a lot of traffic. Hell, I would use a manual no matter how much traffic there is. Aside from my personal preferance, in general, slushbox (auto) transmissions are slower, heavier, more costly, and less durable. If you have any questions about the setup feel free.

What is wrong with your current trans?
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mike or Ron, can you give more detail about what was needed to use the Disco hybrid timing cover in your D90. The locations of the alternator etc change, so what did you have to buy/replace to make it all work again (including A/C)

thanks
charles
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

charles, I didnt end up doing the swap. The disco was to good to cut up.

I think Will T is doing the conversion now. You may want to pick his brain.
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Does anyone know what model Crower Camshaft to use with a 4.6?
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Call Mark @ D&D he can set you up. I am using a 50227 in a 3.9 runs great. imho 50227-8 the 50229 might come on a little high for a stick.
Don't let him over cam you!
http://www.aluminumv8.com/
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Cool, thanks Pete!
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Mike or Ron, can you give more detail about what was needed to use the Disco hybrid timing cover in your D90. The locations of the alternator etc change, so what did you have to buy/replace to make it all work again (including A/C)

thanks
charles
You'll need everything off the front of either a 4.0/ 4.6 (serpentine) or the 3.9 Disco that the cover came off.
Also this serpentine conversion is only easy with a long crank motor(4.0 / 4.6), if using a 3.9 the crankshaft keyway for the crankshaft pulley will need to be elongated and a longer key fitted (as on the 3.9 serpentine motors). To do this right the crankshaft needs to be removed from the motor.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I also used the 50227, which is the higher torque version. I have been very pleased with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions