4.2 RRC LWB Chip into D90, things you should know - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

4.2 RRC LWB Chip into D90, things you should know

I finally got around to putting that 4.2 14CUX ECU into the D90 and what do you know, it works. What you want to do is swap the boxes, not the chip. The chip itself is soldered onto the board and it has this bluish coating over the entire thing. It would be a pain in the ass to unsolder every single connection on the chip just to swap it to the new ECU. You will have to swap the bottom half of the boxes because the brackets to mount the ECUs are different. The 14CUX label is luckily located on the top half to let people know what ECU you have. I have not installed my 4.6 block yet but I do truly believe that the truck is faster and more powerful even with the 4.0 in my 90. The hardest part of the job was unbolting the factory AC pack and moving it aside carefully.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2008, 10:34 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

This was for your 94, right?

Old June 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

If you eventually get the 4.6 I'm assuming the ECU for the 4.2 will work?

Does anyone know if it is worth upgrading with the "Tornado" chip?

Is the "Tornado" chip with the 3.9 ECU better than "regular chip" with the 4.2 ECU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

??????

All NAS 90s (94-95) and NAS 110s have a 14CUX ECU.
This ECU has a removeable chip (just pulls out). Remove the Green plastic cover theat says "Lucas" and then pull the chip and insert the new chip (be that a Tornado or a 4.2 chip). I've done dozens and dozens and have never seen anything but an older RR Classic that had a fixed chip.
Only the very early 14CU and earlier systems had a fixed chip and none of those came stock in a NAS Defender.

Tornado chip alone is worth just under 1 second 0-60 and much improved mid range and low end throttle responce, but is really only needed when other changes like cam and injectors are made. Not for most here though, as it is pricey, especially with the crap exchange rate.

A 1997 GEMS car responds better to just a chip, but still pricey for the small gains you get.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

don't want to hijack but here is my question....

if I have a 4.6 conversion on my 95 NAS D90 which combination is "best"....

original 14CUX made for the 3.9 WITH a Tornado chip

OR

14CUX from a 4.2 RR Classic (no Tornado chip)

I am assuming the Tornado chip in the "older ECU" is better but don't know....
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Scott yes this is for my 94 D90 but I installed a 4.0 5 years ago. Mike, I just opened up my ECU cover and this is what I see. The Lucas box / cover is there except it is not green but black. I flipped the board over and whatever is underneath that cover, it is not comming off because there arms are all solderd to the board. The cover itself does not want to come off either. I swear I am staring right at it and I have only had 2 drinks tonight and that was several hours ago. I can take a pic if you want to take a better look. It is indeed an NAS 94 D90.

PS, I already have a 4.6 block I just haven't gotten around to installing it because I already dumped money on that 4.0.

Robert Deniro
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
??????

Only the very early 14CU and earlier systems had a fixed chip and none of those came stock in a NAS Defender.

Isn't he refering (original post re-read required) to the ECU out of the 4.2 LWB?.....which shouldn't be a fixed chip either, unless someone had swapped in an older 14CU and put the CUX cover back on......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Neil,
Yes, the cover for the chip can be black too, thats just an older one.
The socket for the chip is fixed to the board, but the chip itself pulls out of the socket.
The "Lucas" cover is glued on, it takes some effort to get it off but what you need to change is underneath it. You can swap ECUs if you like, no issue at all, but sort of like Matt said, the 4.2 LWB ECU does not have a fixed chip either. You are just looking at the wrong thing.
In the 4.6 we just did last week there is a picture of an ECU with the Lucas box off and a new chip installed, that might help some when you compare to your ECU. Swapping your ECU is fine, but just wanted to clarify to others that the 14CUX does not have a fixed chip and you can swap chip with ease.
Here is the link:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/130phase3.html

Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks for clarifying Mike, I guess there is more underneath that cover that I have not seen yet obviously. The black cover will move side to side but for some reason or another will not come off. I was scared to take it off last night after reading your post because it seemed like the board started to bend a bit and I didn't want to crack it. More importantly, I am glad there are no issues with simply swapping the ECU's as that obviously makes the job a lot easier. So far there have been no issues yet and its been two days, no codes, stutter etc. I even noticed better mid and high range too. I guess I now have this 3.9 box I can tinker around with if I ever plunk down some coinage for a tornado chip. Thanks Mike and everyone for the clarification.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just swap the boxes, but you can swap the chips too.

I am sure the tornado is better, but the 4.2 chip works great as well.
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The 4.2 chip is a nice slight upgrade if swapping into a 4.0 or for a stock 3.9, but not really up to the task for a healthy 4.6. It'll run lean and 4.6's don't like that....at all. The Tornado chip, long term is a smart investment, and well worth the money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
The 4.2 chip is a nice slight upgrade if swapping into a 4.0 or for a stock 3.9, but not really up to the task for a healthy 4.6. It'll run lean and 4.6's don't like that....at all. The Tornado chip, long term is a smart investment, and well worth the money.
Not trying to dissent here but Ron has mentioned previously that a 4.2 chip serves a 4.6 quite nicely. I wish we could run some kind of independent test or have someone who has done this set up long term chime in with their results.

Robert Deniro
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

A 4.2 chip in a stock 4.6 will work "OK". The program differences are very very very very minor. You won't be seeing big gains. You may think you are, but the numbers don't back it up. I've dyno'd just about every chip combo out there and some day I'll write it all up for the web site.
The 4.2 is usually done because it is cheap and will work OK.
Matt is right, when you get into changing injectors and doing cam or head work you'll want to upgrade to something better.

Old June 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks for the clarification Mike, I look forward to that write up. I was planning on using the stock 4.2 cam on the 4.6 as its set up for distributor use and was hoping the 4.2 chip would be adequate for this combination. I'd like to eventually upgrade to a tornado chip as well.

Neil

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, lwb