4.11 gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

4.11 gears

Are any of you guys running Ashcroft 4.11 gears? I have been waiting for months to get gears from a US retailer.

If so did you buy directly from Ashcroft and about what do they cost? Do they seem to be good quality?

What about their heavy duty axles? Cost and quality?

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2004, 11:13 AM
tbmcneill

I'm not familiar with Ashcroft gears, but based on firsthand experience, I'd definately stay away from their axles.

I've seen firsthand 3 of their axles break right at the edge of the splines (2 fronts, 1 rear) & have heard of 4 snapping (2 front, 2 rear), as well.

By comparison, I've only ever heard of 1 GBR rear axle breaking & no fronts. And, to my knowledge, we've only had 1 of our front axles break (broke when a CV grenaded) & no rears.

T
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:55 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Aren't GBR axels and R&P made by Ashcroft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Aren't GBR axels and R&P made by Ashcroft?
Dont know if GBR carries Ashcroft stuff, but I do know that Bill will be getting his R&Ps soon. (I've got a set on order, and have been bugging him for status every now and then).
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM
tbmcneill

GBRs stuff is made by Maxidrive, not Ashcroft. I believe he's contracted with someone here to make his new CVs, though.
T
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:51 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmcneill
GBRs stuff is made by Maxidrive, not Ashcroft. I believe he's contracted with someone here to make his new CVs, though.
T

Oh! I had no idea. Thanks Troy.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:52 PM
truls
truls john thomassen

cv joints

hei i am a member from norway. i have a problem whith my defender 90 300 tdi 1996.
i have broken 5 cv joints and halfshafts on my front aksel the last coppel of years. i am driving whith 35x10,50x15 simex eksrem trekker and arb difflock.. whath are your doin whith yor rigs to make them hold yhe whole way. i have seen pics of defenders whith 37 inch tyres
Old June 1st, 2004, 01:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by truls
hei i am a member from norway. i have a problem whith my defender 90 300 tdi 1996.
i have broken 5 cv joints and halfshafts on my front aksel the last coppel of years. i am driving whith 35x10,50x15 simex eksrem trekker and arb difflock.. whath are your doin whith yor rigs to make them hold yhe whole way. i have seen pics of defenders whith 37 inch tyres
http://www.greatbasinrovers.com/axle.html#cvjoints

http://www.rovertracks.com/Axles.htm

Those are a couple places to get upgraded parts and some go the rout of replacing the front end. I have 35s and stock axles and no breakage yet.
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
tbmcneill

Truls-
In the front, the weak point is the CV. For the most part, you can buy gears and axles to stand up to the abuse of general wheeling with the stock motor. The CVs are a whole other animal. Every aftermarket CV out there for Land Rovers has been broken at one time or another. I went thru 4 in my 12 months with 37s ... & I'm pretty light on the 'go pedal'.

Most of the upgraded CVs are based off AEU2522s .. the larger 110 CV. Even in stock form they (in theory) hold up better than the stock 90 ones. GBR supposedly has some nice ones coming out soon that are claimed stronger than anything else available yet. They'll be pricey, though. We've got a few things on the table we're looking into to make ours stronger. The goal is to make something not even Yousef can break... .

Of course, you can also drop a front axle from a 101 under your rig or have a custom Dana 60 or 9" built, too. Then you can get 35-spline 1.5" axles & CTM u-joints.
T
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Most of the upgraded CVs are based off AEU2522s .. the larger 110 CV. Even in stock form they (in theory) hold up better than the stock 90 ones. GBR supposedly has some nice ones coming out soon that are claimed stronger than anything else available yet. They'll be pricey, though. We've got a few things on the table we're looking into to make ours stronger. The goal is to make something not even Yousef can break...

T
... and you guys did it. I haven't broken any axle parts from you guys
Knock on wood
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The new trend in Aussyland is to use Longfield CVs (for Toyota Minitrucks) with custom inner shafts and flanges. The stock Toy CVs are basically the same size as the 2522s, just a little bigger outer shaft. The Longfielding make them realtivly bulletproof. You can also put the hypoid Toy centers in with a few mods.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Mo...pic.php?t=5357
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...entre+to+rover
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:05 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks to all.
Scott, I too have been waiting for GBR gears. Also have been checking status. Hope to have them soon. I'll try to stay in touch with you.

Front end upgrades next year I hope.

Thanks Troy
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
truls
truls john thomassen

thanks.. i understand that there is many way`s to rebild cv`s on..
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:31 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
RN has a set of 4.11's for $699 on special. thats a great price....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions