4.0L GEMs Oil Filter PSI and Temp Adapter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

4.0L GEMs Oil Filter PSI and Temp Adapter

I'm installing a Croytec dash pod with 3 center switches for the Ashcroft Lockers and planned to add VDO engine oil PSI and temp gauges. I see lots of discussions on the VDO upgrades; but I haven't been able to find any discussions on the GlowShift Oil filter adapter listed below:

Oil Filter Sender Adapter - 3/4 unf-16

As I'm sure ya'll already know, the 4.0L GEMs front cover only has one port for the stock PSI switch. John at Croytec sent me an adapter with 3 ports to use, but there just isn't enough room to make it work. And the bracket just above the port gets in the way. This oil filter adapter would allow adding the PSI transducer and temp sender at the filter and still maintain the stock PSI switch.

Has anyone used this set-up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 01:27 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I just installed the glowshift sandwich plate last week after an oil change. No leaks so far. I've only got the VDO sender installed but not yet wired; hopefully it'll be done this coming weekend. The VDO sender can send a signal to the idiot light too but I read around here that it's iffy.
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad to hear no leaks. I went ahead and ordered one so hopefully will have it next week. I'm the opposite, gauges wired up and ready, just waiting on the sandwich adapter. The folks at GlowShift were extremely helpful too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2015, 08:29 AM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

There's thread here on wiring the gauges but how did you do it? I'm going to punch a hole by the wiper cables behind the binnacle and snake it through. I thought about just tapping from the positive wires on the cigarette lighter. I'm using a Raptor pod to mount in place of the ashtray.
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

I'll take pictures and let you know the exact routing when I get it back. A shop here in Dubai did all the work and had the wires run, but then asked me to come by and check out the fact there was no room for the 3-way t-fitting I was planning on using. Which is why I'm now going with the filter adapter. The Croytec dash pod I'm using in on the dash in place of the ash tray as well. They're still finishing up some other work as well on my new Ashcroft axles, and pretty much a completly new suspension, steering, etc...The bottom end will be completely new, like every rod, bushing, nut, and bolt. But hopefully they'll finish up next week about the time I get the adapter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions