4.0L D90 serpentine diagram? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

4.0L D90 serpentine diagram?

My serpentine belt randomly flew off the other night while driving it. I seem to have it all routed back on the pulleys right but it is loose by about 3/4". The tensioner spring works fine (although the tensioner wheel has a little play in it -- probably has bad bearings). Anyway, anyone got a diagram they could post -- make sure I haven't screwed anything up. Thanks!

------ Follow up post added June 30th, 2010 11:03 AM ------

By the way, mine does have A/C.
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

I got it figured out, and the belt is back on. The problem WAS in the tensioner pulley -- bearings shot and small hairline crack in the pulley. Guess after 13 years it just gave out!

I will post the procedure for getting the serpentine belt on/off soon (don't have time now). There are a couple of worthwhile pointers that will save others time that I wasted figuring it out!
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Feeling a little schizophrenic and feel like I am talking to myself in this post, but hopefully down the road, this info will help someone else. The attached pics aren't terribly helpful, but one from the left and right sides just in case the instructions get confusing.

*obvious general point but making it nonetheless -- grooved side of the belt faces grooved pulleys & flat side faces smooth pulleys
**all directions (left, right, etc.) below are as if you are facing the engine standing up in front of the truck
***be sure to check your belt for any cracks or defects first
****check all the pulleys to insure there are no cracks in the metal or "play" where they rock or move on their axis (indication of bad bearings which I found on my tensioner pulley)

1) first, take the plastic shroud off the top of your radiator fan (there is one little metal clip on each side that release, the shroud will then flip up and if you tug on it a little, the hinge snaps out & it will come all the way off); this makes everything easier to get too & is essential for the last step in this process

2) belt first loops under bottom side of crankshaft pulley (grooved pulley at the very bottom of the engine)

3) take the portion of the belt coming off the right side of the crankshaft pulley & loop it up around the right side and over the power steering pulley (top right grooved pulley)

4) next, take the same portion of the belt you just looped around the power steering pulley and take it down under the smooth water pump pulley (center just above the crankshaft pulley)

5) now, it seems you would head for the alternator pulley, but DON'T; take the same portion of belt you just looped under the water pump pulley and continue on taking that portion of the belt on over to the grooved A/C pulley to the far left

6) next, run the belt over the right side of the smooth belt tensioner pulley (just below and to the right of the A/C pulley & just to the left of the water pump pulley) & now you are "out of rope" (i.e., should be too tight to wrap around the last open pulley -- the one on the alternator (which is just above the tensioner pulley)

7) if you don't already have some on, gloves with rubber grip HIGHLY recommended for grip on the wrench and protecting your knuckles here in case the wrench slips loose; get a 15mm wrench and use the open "U-shaped" side on the wrench (not the closed circular side) to put on the bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley (not the bolt to the left of the pulley that attaches the tensioner apparatus to the block); be sure to start with the wrench in around the 1 o'clock position with it flipped to the side of the wrench that angles out towards you and not towards the block; without this positioning, it is not possible to get enough movement on the tensioner to be able create enough laxity on the belt to get it on; you have to crank pretty damn hard clockwise with your wrench and the spring tensioner will move clockwise downward releasing tension on the serpentine belt; it is nice here to have a second pair of hands to put the belt up over the alternator pulley but you can do it by yourself. Check all the pulleys to be sure that the belt is seated properly on the all. Now you are all set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	29045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	29046  

Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Here is a link to a line drawing too:

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/s...g_defender.cfm

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Damn, wish I had that diagram before I did it the ol' "figure it out yourself" way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90