4.0 timing question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST
4.0 timing question

How do you set the timing on a 97 disco without the marks. I know I know the marks are on the cam gear and the crank gear. This is my problem. I cannot be sure that when the cover was off someone did not turn the crank 180 degrees, so....I have no idea if it is 180 out or not. Does this matter on the electronic ignition? So if I set it up so the intake valve is opening on the downward stroke of the piston, and line the marks up then is that ok? Or is there a way to time it ignoring the marks? Also is the first valve on the drivers side front the intake or the exhaust. Thanks for the help in advance. I also posted on discoweb. Also, I know the sprockets can only go on one way but it can still be 180 off right?

Old December 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB
remove the plug from cylinder one and look to see if the cylinder is at TDC... You can typically see if it is at the top just by looking in the hole for cyl 1 with a flash light.. I would rotate the crank to verify.. you can also just spin it over with the ign switch, put your finger over the hole and when it blows your finger off the hole it is there. It won't hurt I promise!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions