4.0 Oil Sump Pan Gasket yes/no - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

4.0 Oil Sump Pan Gasket yes/no

Hi Guys,

Just putting back together my 4.0 and I have a basic question; Should I use the cork gasket that came in the gasket kit or just use a sealant on the pan to engine block mating faces?

There was no gasket there when I took it apart. Somthing tells me the supplied cork gasket is for a wrencher that doesnt know any better. The only experience I have with cork gaskets- even when well sealed and periodically tightened, is after about 8-10K miles they all leak.

I'm thinking that just sealant would be better in this application. Anyone out there w/ some good running experience on this? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I use Great Stuff
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Great Stuff

Thanks Dave, I was just reading about that. Just goes to show, I've been wrenching for 30+ years and never heard of the stuff. Are you familiar with permatex copper? Just wondering if it's as good as that.

Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas