4.0 Engine issues? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:48 AM
terryjm1
Terry
1988 Land Rover Santana & 98 D1 TDI

4.0 Engine issues?

I am considering buying a D1 with a 4.0 that has 80,000 miles on the engine. They seem to have been well cared for maintained miles. Sorry, I know this is a Defender discussion section but I know many of you drive Defenders with 4.0 engines and many of you also have or have had a D1.

I have some experience with the 4.0 engine and it seems head gaskets are a common problem. It seems most of the higher mileage ones get the head gaskets done at about 100,000 miles. My question is this simply when they fail or is it caused mostly by issues like overheating?

Is it good preventive maintenance to R&r them at 100,000 to avoid damaging the rest of the engine when the coolant gets in the crankcase or perhaps could damage the catalytic converters and O2 sensors?

I am planning to drive it on a 2500 mile road trip with about 400 through high elevation mountain passes pulling a trailer. Is this too ambitious for an 80K truck. I will need to make this trip 10 to 15 times over the next few years. Am I asking to be stranded with an engine that has lost a head gasket?

Kind regards,

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:02 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Over heating is the killer. If the engine over heats you run the chance of slipping a liner and toasting the engine. Make sure the cooling system is up to the task. Do not rely on the gauge.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:44 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
So now on my third D1 I'd say that the overheating alluded to, and to a certain degree specifically the HG, are problematic-but not nearly as much as they are with a Dii. Could you do the HG as a preventative? Sure, I guess. Would I-on an 80k mile truck? No. I'd change all the fluids, make sure the radiator was good to go, the coolant tank isn't part of the prone to crack generation and drive the truck.

That said, it is worth noting that depending on budget you may find an LR3 (aka D3) far more suitable for consistent, protracted, towing and with their prices these days depending on your budget worth considering.

Food for thought.
r-
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:53 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I have 150-160k-ish on 2 different 4.0GEMS. One NAS90 the other is my kid's 97D1. Neither have had their HG's done but I keep a close eye on temps and coolant levels. I now use an IR gun to check temps as well. I figure if the temps are safe and the coolant is steady you're good. Even good gaskets will blow if the cooling system is not constantly in check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My brother has a 96 p38 with 300k on it. Head gaskets have never been done, radiator never been replaced, although he did come pilfer a new water pump off my shelf last month.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:09 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

muthalickin pilferers...whatcha goin do?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
muthalickin pilferers...whatcha goin do?
When I'm missing something, I know he's absconded with it. Such a punk

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:34 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

97 D1 with 300k.....never touched sans a radiator.....going strong....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:05 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
the block will drop a liner before head gasket failure. normally the failed component is valley pan gasket.
the dealer started this fashion of failed head gaskets and due to internet, the cool kids decided to start recommending said repair when not needed.
quite often head gasket failure is misdiagnosed.

keep an eye on your cooling system and don't skimp on maintenance you will be fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine