3rd Brake Light - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

3rd Brake Light

The thrid Brake Light on the back of my truck is really starting to rust out. I think this is a common problem.......as I see a lot of people talk about replacement. My worst rust is actually under the light itself, where the light attaches to the bar. The light still works, but I wonder for how much longer..........

I thought of this today again, when I shut the back door of the truck and heard a light tinkle of metal.........this was of course tiny flakes of rust falling on the rear step bumper.

The replacement ones (like the one from Rover's North) are pretty expensive............

SO - when mine does fail - do you really think I would ever be pulled over by a cop for not having a third brake light. Why not just remove it, and cap off the wires? The average person has no idea what the Defender is, or what year it is. I realize this would be a problem with resale and passing inspection...........but in Maryland we never have to have the truck re-inspected unless we sell it...........AND I am not planning to sell

What have others done???

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
How about having a fabricator fix it? or http://www.americandirtroads.com/catbrakelightcov.html
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

IMO Yup. Common depending on where you live. Especially with that plastic coating. All of my hardware was so rusted and pitted I couldn't even get it blasted and repainted.

I looked for one for 4 months and all I saw was "rusters" Bit the bullet and bought a "Scratch and Dent" from RN. (Had one flake of paint off it) I'm thinking safety above all else - If the bulbs blow on the low lights I still have the high one.

George at RDS might have some now. I know guys in CO that put on Safari guard Spare TCs, or run 35s that just took them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Personally, I think there are too many idiots out there not to have that extra brake light. I'd like to find an LED replacement, I think that would be smooth.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Personally, I think there are too many idiots out there not to have that extra brake light. I'd like to find an LED replacement, I think that would be smooth.
Totally in agreement. Too many idiots on cell phones. How much is your neck worth (literally)? I got rear ended in Glen Burnie and my neck has been F%^&&* ever since. My ex got rear ended there too. Six accidents in 2 1/2 years. Put a beacon/strobe on that thing if you can.

ECR said they can't get LED tail lights for a 94 anymore. Anybody know a different source?
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

There are self contained strip LED lights out there. You can easily screw one on the frame and you're done. Just keep looking.
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Try here if you want to just replace the bulbs http://autolumination.com/specifications.html
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Arthur - you have a link to one of these LED strips. Sounds cool...........have you done this to your truck?

Flagg
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I don't know if it would work as I don't know how it connects, or if it is tall enough to clear a D90 spare, but has anyone thought about adapting a wrangler 3rd brake light? The housing is black plastic so it shouldn't rust, and I don't know for sure, but I would have to assume that they are cheaper new, and much more available used as well. Just an idea.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Some companies I looked into:

awdirect.com
ledtronics.com
superbrightleds.com

I need a strip for my SW - internal, glued to window. Still have no third brake light. But everything's too expensive for me so I will go with a standard bulb.

If you're not set with LED's, you can always adapt one off a Jeep or similar vehicle. They'll probably be more robust and certainly cheaper.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Look at some of the motorcycle accessories stores too - they have completely self contained led type brake lights.
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Another shameless plug but hey it might help someone down the road. We have them in stock it is a new product for us mainly because a few on the board asked for them. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR3941G.cfm.

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Eric

PS Jack I hope your making it to Uwarrie because it's looking good for me making it this time.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
mffoster
Mike Foster
94 D90, 2007 Supercharged RR

Flagg -

I bought my truck new in 94. I drove it home from the dealer and removed the center brake light that same afternoon. As you said, no one has any idea what the standard equipment is supposed to be on a Defender.

Regards,

Mike F
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

[QUOTE=brn24whl]Another shameless plug but hey it might help someone down the road. We have them in stock it is a new product for us mainly because a few on the board asked for them. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR3941G.cfm.

Keep up the plugs!! I looked for months. Only missed me by about 10 days. How about a poll to see who wants LED brake lights. Can you get them, Eric?
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Rovers Down South has one listed on their site right now too.

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Bob
LED's would be a ECR thing our engineer has a ton on his plate right now. So I know it would be a long time out before he got to it.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old March 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Anyone know what the dimensions are on the OEM 3rd brake light? This looks like a perfect LED replacement: Found on Ebay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht