380 manual transmission question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
380 manual transmission question

Can you guys tell me exactely how many US quarts the 380 transmission takes. According to the manual I calculated 3 quarts, but shouldn't it be around 4? Any pointers on filling/over filling etc..

Thanks
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I don't know the capacity off-hand but it doesn't matter as you'll fill it until it oozes out the plug.

Invest in one of those gallon jugs with the built-in pump (like you use for the diffs) and keep it filled with fluid. Even better, get one of those small electric fluid pumps. You'll appreciate its speed after manually pumping a dry tranny or diff.

Next up for me is perhaps one of those dipstick pumps for the motor. I'm tired of the traditional oil change way - especially maintaining four vehicles.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yeah I hear you. I have one of those large cylinder hand pumps to do my diffs. Messy stuff to deal with.
I have 3 quarts on hand for the tranny, guess I should get more. Does the filler plug need that LR filler plug tool to get it out? Sorry for the dumb questions, my manual states "take plug out" and imperial measurements vs US is a Royal pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Plug is a square head, easily comes off.

A note about the electric pumps and diff filling: may need to preheat the oil as some whimpy pumps can't handle it.

Another option: use a 2 gallon water jug, the kind with a petcock. Fit a long clear tube with a petcock on its end. Now when filling the tranny or diff just raise the jug and let gravity work; you can put it on the roof of the truck. Open its petcock, wait until the fluid gets to the tube petcock, open it up and fill 'er up. when doen close tube petcock, and let the fluid drain back into jug, close jug petcock. Have one for tranny fluid and another for the diffs and you're all set.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
That sounds like a great idea. I will try the gravity trick. Looks like I'm going to need a lot of rags..
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:31 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Yje fill plug on an R380 transmission is a Torx T-55 - be sure you have on in your hand BEFORE draining the fluid out of your gearbox - a friend of mine found this out the hard way....
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Ok thanks Jack, any idea on fluid capacity? will 3 quarts cut it?
Thanks
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Three quarts will be close - I always just make sure it reaches the fill plug level. Keeping an extra bottle around for top-ups isn't a bad idea - even if you're running the expensive Redline MTL.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Torx T-55: is that for the NAS R380? Mine's a Tdi - don't know if stock is square head or if the PO changed it. It sure is convenient!

Remember: when draining anything always remove the fill plug first. You don't want to remove the drain plug and find out you can't undo the fill plug.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Plug is a square head, easily comes off.

A note about the electric pumps and diff filling: may need to preheat the oil as some whimpy pumps can't handle it.

Another option: use a 2 gallon water jug, the kind with a petcock. Fit a long clear tube with a petcock on its end. Now when filling the tranny or diff just raise the jug and let gravity work; you can put it on the roof of the truck. Open its petcock, wait until the fluid gets to the tube petcock, open it up and fill 'er up. when doen close tube petcock, and let the fluid drain back into jug, close jug petcock. Have one for tranny fluid and another for the diffs and you're all set.
Is it just me, or is this post really just an excuse to say petcock 6 times?!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
petcock

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Ok thanks guys, good info, I'm also getting ready for doing all four brakes, rotors, pads, bearings etc.. (determined to finally do it myself) I think I will be keeping the D90 site and laptop close by (wireless internet) and....the petcock
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Earlier gearboxes had the square drive fill plug, later ones (and current ones) have the Torx drive. Really just depends on if it is stock, has been changed, or someone lost the fill plug or something, but you are right, it can be either... and checking it before you dump the fluid is a GREAT idea. It sucks to try and make ATF go up the drain hole.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
manual, transmission