35 x 12.5" tires on D110 wheels - de-beading - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

35 x 12.5" tires on D110 wheels - de-beading

I'm currently running stock 7" wide RRC alloys with 35x12.50 Nitto Grapplers and want to switch to steel D110 wheels. However, they are only 6.5" wide and I'm worried about de-beading.
Does anyone run D110 steel wheels with tires this wide at Moab, Rubicon, etc aired down to 10-12 lbs without debeading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

RRC alloys hold the bead MUCH better than steel wheels anyway. I think 6.5" wheels are too thin for a 12.5" tire.
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Why do they hold a bead better?
I figure it would be in the construction as I don't see how the different metals would effect de-beading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Factory 93 110 rims don't have a safety bead on the rim designed to help hold the bead to the rim, normally these type rims are for tubed tires, not a good idea for tyres you'll air down.. Keep the alloys or do a GCR steely that's a bit wider for a 12.5 tire.. IMO 7" is the minimum and that's not recommended by most MFGrs'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Keith.........

I'm surprised that the steelies don't have the inner bead lock as I've aired down to 8 lbs with the D110 wheels on my D90 with 285/75/16 mud terrains and had no problems before.
Thanks for the info - guess it kills that swap idea. Back to mulling and brooding.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
Factory 93 110 rims don't have a safety bead on the rim designed to help hold the bead to the rim, normally these type rims are for tubed tires, not a good idea for tyres you'll air down..
First, there are tubeless versions of the 6.5" rim.

Second, if you have ever tried to break a beak on one of these tubed rims, you will realise that the lack of a safety bead does not matter. IME, after just manually changing around 30 tires, the tubed Rover steel wheels hold the bead on a lot better than any normal "safety bead" tubeless rims I've seen.

Third, I've run tubeless on these rims for the last 7 years and only dropped a bead once. I always run low pressures.

A narrow rim holds a bead better than a wider one off road. They are more squirmy, but it is harder to knock off he bead.

However, with all that said, I think the backspacing on the factory 6.5" rims is too large for a 35x12.5 and you will have clearance issues unless you use spacers.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Regardless of what kind of bead the wheels have, different tires and different wheels react to eachother differently. There are no guarantees that any combination will hold a bead well or not.

That said, 10-12lb is a lot. I would be surprised if there is an issue on a 6.5in rim.

Now for the kicker, it doesn't matter. A 6.5 is way too skinny for a tire that wide. It will look bad, act bad, and wear bad.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:48 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I run 35x12.5 Swamper SSRs on the NAS 110 rim (ANR1534PM) with no issues at all (no tubes). They hold the bead great and I usually run them down at about 7 to 10 psi depending on ground conditions.
There are no driving or wear issues at all. With regular rotations I got almost 40K out of the last set of tires (that is good for SSRs).
That rim has the best offset of all the Rover rims, for turning radius, that is the reason I went with it in the first place. Had them all over Moab and New England.
They actually hold the bead better than the 36" SXs I have on MRT 15" beadlocks. The beadlock part holds as it should, but the rim is so wide that it will drop the inside bead periodically when really air'd down because the rim is so wide it does not put any pressure on the inside bead when on a side load.

I too like a rim that is "too narrow" (according to a tire manufacture) as it is the way I get a cheap beadlock.

Works 100% for me, your results may vary.

Speaking of that, if anyone wants a set of MRT 15" beadlocks let me know. I hate those rims.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Mike....

Do you use spacers?
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I should, to get a better turning circle, but I don't/ haven't.
No real reason there, other than I just got used to the turning radius and can live with it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Ahh, see I had problems with the tubed 110 rims loosing beads. 36/12.5-16 swamper SSR Radial.
That was at low 6-8psi pressures so I switched to a rim with a safety bead, no trouble since, if I go lower it will be with bead locks.
The tubed rims where also too narrow for my tastes, I went to an 8" rim.
Of course I had wheel spacers for the 6.5's and kept them on for the 8's, it's very stable on a side hill..

Around here some shops won't even mount a tubless tire on a tubed rim.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I run 35x12.5 Swamper SSRs on the NAS 110 rim (ANR1534PM) with no issues at all (no tubes). They hold the bead great and I usually run them down at about 7 to 10 psi depending on ground conditions.
There are no driving or wear issues at all. With regular rotations I got almost 40K out of the last set of tires (that is good for SSRs).
That rim has the best offset of all the Rover rims, for turning radius, that is the reason I went with it in the first place. Had them all over Moab and New England.
They actually hold the bead better than the 36" SXs I have on MRT 15" beadlocks. The beadlock part holds as it should, but the rim is so wide that it will drop the inside bead periodically when really air'd down because the rim is so wide it does not put any pressure on the inside bead when on a side load.

I too like a rim that is "too narrow" (according to a tire manufacture) as it is the way I get a cheap beadlock.

Works 100% for me, your results may vary.

Speaking of that, if anyone wants a set of MRT 15" beadlocks let me know. I hate those rims.
Jorge runs 36" swampers on wolf rims with no problems also. Are the wolf wheels thinner then the 110 rims?
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
nope. both 6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Jorge runs 36" swampers on wolf rims with no problems also. Are the wolf wheels thinner then the 110 rims?
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

6.5 on a 12.50 tire is too skinny. It will crown badly and "roll" when aired down. The only question is whether or not this will bother you. I noticed better performance when going from an 8in wheel to a 9in wheel. I have run a 31x19.50 on a 6in wheel and it sucked.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
6.5 on a 12.50 tire is too skinny. It will crown badly and "roll" when aired down. The only question is whether or not this will bother you. I noticed better performance when going from an 8in wheel to a 9in wheel. I have run a 31x19.50 on a 6in wheel and it sucked.

"I have run a 31x19.50" That must have looked sweet, were those Thornbirds?
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
"I have run a 31x19.50" That must have looked sweet, were those Thornbirds?
ahhh, 10.50. Typing on an iPhone here, cut me some slack!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d110, tire, tires, wheel, wheels