35" Tires and lower gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Scooby Doo
Armand
1994 D90

35" Tires and lower gears

Hello,

I now have 35" tires on Hutchinson true bead locks. Omg, what a job to get them on! They look great. There are Land Rover purists out there who want 100% stock but that is not me and I will tell you why. I live in California and I did not like having to skip trips to super cool places because my stock Defender could not negotiate parts of the trail the way lifted,locked, pumped up Jeeps would. Additionally, I have always liked the look of big fat tires that stick out to the sides a little and give jeeps a wide stance. I wanted my Defender to look like that. In order to have some power to turn those big tires and have a super low crawl ratio, since the Defender is geared kind of high to begin with, I changed the gears in the diffs to 4:43's and upgraded the axle shafts to chromoly and also changed the cv joints, and added front and rear air lockers. Added dimpled and slotted brake rotors all around and an ARB winch bumper with a 10,000lb winch and so many more things, I can't even remember them all right now! I absolutely loved the look!! However, I was disappointed that I could no longer go very fast on the highway! The engine was screaming at 60mph. I am not a speed demon nor is the Defender a race car, but I felt I should be able to do at least 70 or 75, as this is not a trailer rig but a daily driver. So.... I installed an overdrive and voila! I felt like I got my old defender back! The overdrive adds a third gear shift lever and now I can go flying down the highway and keep up with traffic. Super cool. Also added cruise control for those long trips! I am still not finished, but it is getting there! I also hand built a hot shower under the hood. It will suck up freezing water from an alpine lake or stream and turn it into a nice steamy hot shower for as long as anyone wants. I have a tall tent, like a port a potty, with a zippered door and a shower head like the one in a normal shower. Super great after a day of 4 wheeling dusty trails when I am hot and covered in sun tan lotion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6872.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	149532  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Raquen
Matthew
none

Do what engine do you have that you are able to run 75mph with those kind of gears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:51 AM
prestige
Justin
1984 Defender 90

Which overdrive did you get? I am in a similar situation and considering a roamer drive unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Scooby Doo
Armand
1994 D90

I went with Global Roamer. I called them and we figured out which one would fit since there are a couple of transfer cases on Defenders and the over drive will not fit on one of them. I ordered the overdrive, the sump cover and the temp gauge.

------ Follow up post added May 16th, 2016 08:04 AM ------

My defender has a 3.9 V8
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:16 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I found 4.1 gears to be a good balance for me with 35's. I'm not sure I could deal with having an overdrive and a 5 speed.

Truck looks great. No need to defend yourself about moving away from stock. Although I don't know how you pass inspection with that much rubber sticking out!
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Scooby Doo
Armand
1994 D90

it is the 3.9 v8
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Armand, 2 questions.... can we see some pictures of the shower setup?

And what is that thing sticking out in front of the drivers door just above the lower hinge?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires