Defender Source Forum banner

305/70/16 on stock setup?

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Art Vigil 
#1 ·
Hey Gang,

I've done some searching on the forums for the answer but nothing with the exact answer. The BFG AT KO comes in 305/70 and I'm curious whether they'll fit on the stock rims with stock suspension. Seems like they're very close in height to the 285's but a litte wider (.75"). Anyway to make these work without trimming or lifting the vehicle?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

#2 ·
I think they are ~12" wide not quite 33" tall never been talked about, why you considering this size? THey arent as tall as a 285, tall and skinny is the way to go, no use for the short and fat. I talked a friend out of those things he was glad (Z71).

#3 ·
Skinny-good for mud SUCK on ROCK

Wide- ROCK on Rock... great on sand... still good in mud.

Go wide if you can ....305 may be ticky without a sawsall..

IMO 285-75-16 is the best with a mild lift and no cutting.

I have had 255-85-16, same hight +- as the 285 bit 30mm narrower. I ran Chinamans in Colorado then went home and sold them.

#4 ·
I'm looking for a tire that is best for the following conditions (in order of priority):
(1) mud
(2) snow
(3) sand

Thought wider was bettter for these but I don't want to break out the sawsall...has anyone tried 'em?

#6 ·
howellm70 said:
I'm looking for a tire that is best for the following conditions (in order of priority):
(1) mud
(2) snow
(3) sand

Thought wider was bettter for these but I don't want to break out the sawsall...has anyone tried 'em?
Mud, needs deep widely spaced lugs.
Snow, maybe the best place for skinny tires but they need sipeing.
Sand, needs to be wide without deep widely spaced lugs.
At least this is what my limited experience and reading has shown.

Seems like everything is a compromise. I am running Interco SSR's and they seem to work pretty well all around. They come in a large number of sizes also.

I am not sure but I think with 285/75's you might need some lift.

#8 · (Edited)
dmarchand said:
I'd like to see 305 on a stock rim. At 8"'s, a 285 barely fits on it.
Here you go, this was with stock suspension, not a good idea.
Yeah, it's pretty snug. BTW - I hated that size - turning radius sucked. The only positive was that it cornered better on the highway.

Regards,
Art Vigil

*I love this photo - I was all posed out with no place to go - 'cept maybe the mall :)
Good thing I had the limb risers on, it kept all the women throwing their underwear off my vehicle :pimp

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.