300ttdi Install questions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

300ttdi Install questions?

I was wondering how those of you that have made the swap handled some of the following. I was reading another forum and thought you guys could shed some light on the subject.

Thanks,
Chris

You can take the mounts off your LT77 and fit them to the R380.. which means the new gearbox will bolt to your existing chassis mounts.

This means you then only have to change the engine mounts...

However, the engine and gearbox will be slightly (2") further back than a factory 300Tdi.

In the cab, this has the advantage of allowing you to keep your existing flooring, seat box, gearbox cover etc etc... and it means you can reuse your exisitng propshafts.

In the engine bay though, it causes a few problems... your radiator to engine hoses (coolant) will be too short, as will you intercooler pipe work, and the oil cooler pipes. There are fixes for this though.
It also means the viscous fan (if your using it) wont be covered fully by the fan cowl. You will also have to shorten the exhaust slightly.

Wiring wise... I wouldn't bother with all the 300Tdi glow plug relay etc... just wire it up as per an earlier Td engine.
The wiring side is very simple!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I don't know about your specific mounts (r380 vs LT77) but from what I understand they will be fine. I do believe that you will need to make/cut a new tunnel cover to fit the shifter bits correctly. Im speaking from experience with at 2.5NA conversion so If your going from a V8 my knowlwge may be bogus.

Drive lines may have to be changed if the whole assembly moves back 2in.

As far as the hoses the radiator hoses will still fit fine, inter cooler piping is easy to work out. The fan will not be in the shroud but it has never been a problem for me, I actually think it is nocew to have the extra room.

hope that helps
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Steve,

Yes my current set up is a 2.5na and sounds like I would have to do the same basic things you did. What type of cost or headache are associated with extending the intercooler lines, oil cooler lines and the what not?

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin
Steve,

Yes my current set up is a 2.5na and sounds like I would have to do the same basic things you did. What type of cost or headache are associated with extending the intercooler lines, oil cooler lines and the what not?

Thanks
Chris
I went from a 2.5 to a 300 also. You don't need to get new lines. The stock ones will just be a little tight. Also, in fullerton, don't even bother with the glow plugs. It starts without issue. Last thing is you do not need a new tunnel, if you just bfe the stock one and notch the floor the shifter will work just fine. Good luck, it is a fairly straight foreword install, just go beefy on the engine mounts.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

David,

I still owe you a beer from past email help.

Chris
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin
David,

I still owe you a beer from past email help.

Chris
Hey!

I didn't notice it was you. Glad to see your stepping up to a 300! You will be much happier. If you need any help at all, please feel free to contact me. Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

moving the 300 tdi back 2" is a blessing if you plan on an aftermarket intercooler.
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
marcva
Marc van Aperen
1984 90 300 TDi

Hi there,

Did the same here, converted from 2.5 NA to 300TDi.
And yes you the easiest is to do as you described.
That way the tunnel and more importantly your drive shafts can stay the same.

The engine sits back about 3cm. (1").
Just make the oil cooler lines longer.
Intercooler and radiator hoses will just reach.

Also try to get the 300 TDi fuel- and airfilter including the piping.

Regards,

Marc van Aperen - The Netherlands
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Chris,

You going to RR7 with SCLR?

Kevin Mokracek
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Monkeyboy

OMG, I just noticed that RR7 is after April 15th!!!!

WaHoo !! I need more info Kev!
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
April 21-22. Panamint Springs Resort. Adding a few new trails/events. www.sclr.org has some info. Hope you can make it.

Kevin
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Kevin,

I plan on going but it won't be with a 300tdi. I do have some issue with the truck that need to be worked out first but I have all intentions on going. The issues are keeping me from signing up to lead a trail. I sold the P38 a few weeks ago so I don't have a back up. I will go with our with out the truck even if it means riding shotgun with John Gadd or Jack Tuttle.

Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi