300TDi won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:23 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
300TDi won't start

Well I popped my LR Breakdown cherry, my 300TDi equipped D1 wont start.
Its not the battery and Autozone said its not the alternator.
Luckily my fraternity brothers were able help me push it and we roll started it.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
fuel shut off solenoid getting 12v ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:30 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
fuel shut off solenoid getting 12v ?
No idea, how do I check
Looking for my manual now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Look for the one wire to the injection pump. Listen for it clicking when you turn on the ignition. Check for power at that lead.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You roll/pop started it? Could we just be talking about a bad starter here? I'd think if it was the fuel solenoid that a pop-start wouldn't work regardless.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:56 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
You roll/pop started it? Could we just be talking about a bad starter here? I'd think if it was the fuel solenoid that a pop-start wouldn't work regardless.
Well shit, that's expensive... 499.99 from RN

Earlier today it wont start then we opened the bonnet and it started up.
Two hours later it wont start without the roll.
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
Well shit, that's expensive... 499.99 from RN

Earlier today it wont start then we opened the bonnet and it started up.
Two hours later it wont start without the roll.
Does it click or turn over when you try to start it? Or literally do you get nothing when it's the no-start situation?

I think I found some alternate Tdi starter sources that were in the $200-300 range, let me check...but don't start buying parts just yet!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:58 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Check that all of the electrical connections are clean and tight. Sounds like a loose connection.
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Does it click or turn over when you try to start it? Or literally do you get nothing when it's the no-start situation?
Nothing at all, not a squeak. The dash lights dim light normal but no movement or sound.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Check that all of the electrical connections are clean and tight. Sounds like a loose connection.
Agreed. I'd even start with something as simple as the connections on the battery and work out from there. Once I had my battery out in the 90 and just popped the terminals on by hand and forgot about it. Got a ways down the road before total electrical failure .

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2014 10:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
Nothing at all, not a squeak. The dash lights dim light normal but no movement or sound.
Hmmm...could also be a faulty ignition switch. My Tdi would do that from time-to-time, and finally determined it was the switch. In that situation for me it was intermittent, but when the switch went in the 90 it was a total failure with no warning. So hard to say for sure and a bad switch can give slightly different symptoms.

But you do have dash lights/etc correct? If that's the case, I'd put money on the starter or the ignition switch. But the pop-start I'd lean towards a starter, but the ignition switch is cheap enough (~$30 or so) it may make sense to start there. Even if you replace that and it's not it, just stick the old one in the cubby as a spare - trust me you'll need it at some point.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
X2. Go for the cheapest solution first which is confirming strong/secure connections. Starters are expensive, but shouldn't be $500. Look elsewhere once you confirm that indeed the starter (and not just the connection(s)) is the issue.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:15 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Agreed. I'd even start with something as simple as the connections on the battery and work out from there. Once I had my battery out in the 90 and just popped the terminals on by hand and forgot about it. Got a ways down the road before total electrical failure .

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2014 10:03 PM ------

Hmmm...could also be a faulty ignition switch. My Tdi would do that from time-to-time, and finally determined it was the switch. In that situation for me it was intermittent, but when the switch went in the 90 it was a total failure with no warning. So hard to say for sure and a bad switch can give slightly different symptoms.

But you do have dash lights/etc correct? If that's the case, I'd put money on the starter or the ignition switch. But the pop-start I'd lean towards a starter, but the ignition switch is cheap enough (~$30 or so) it may make sense to start there. Even if you replace that and it's not it, just stick the old one in the cubby as a spare - trust me you'll need it at some point.
Yes, lights, radio, AC, seat heaters, windows all work.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Starters are simple items internally. Do you feel comfortable disassembling it ?

You could also take it to a local auto electric shop and have them go through it. Mine is 12 years old & 150K miles. I had to take it apart & clean it up about 1-1/2 years ago. They get dust and grime inside & also the oil/grease on the solenoid gets sticky after a decade.
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:01 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Starters are simple items internally. Do you feel comfortable disassembling it ?

You could also take it to a local auto electric shop and have them go through it. Mine is 12 years old & 150K miles. I had to take it apart & clean it up about 1-1/2 years ago. They get dust and grime inside & also the oil/grease on the solenoid gets sticky after a decade.
I have no mechanically experience, putting on the engine cover the other day was my first foray[into the engine bay]. I am, however, willing to learn. Will take it out tomorrow
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:22 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Don't take out the starter until After you have confirmed that all of the connections and clean and tight.
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:14 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Granted I don't have a tdi but it does sound like an ignition switch to me like Lav mentioned. Had the same problem with my NAS- easier and cheaper than replacing a starter only to later find it was the switch!

Cheers
Jay
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I had intermittent starter problems 2 years ago that plagued me for a month, and it ended up being a loose and dirty starter cable at the union under the turbo. brass brush and tightening the nut solved my issue. this would account for all dash gauges working, but only sometimes starting.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would check that the ground cable is properly secured to the chassis and transfer box.
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:

I think I found some alternate Tdi starter sources that were in the $200-300 range, let me check...but don't start buying parts just yet!
Let me know what you find
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Rovahfarm, PN-NAD500210 $240 plus shipping.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, start, tdi