300Tdi with a leaky Freeze Plug...Errrrrr - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
300Tdi with a leaky Freeze Plug...Errrrrr

I was smelling Antifreeze and when I inspected, I noticed the front Drivers side freeze plug is weeping. Has anyone changed one of these? What do I have to do? Do I need to remove the exhaust manifold? Any Tricks to get them out then install them???

Randy
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Just use a little bit of radiator seal. I've even heard you can use black pepper to do in a pinch!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Just use a little bit of radiator seal. I've even heard you can use black pepper to do in a pinch!

Is that stuff bad to use in a new motor?
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I used some stuff called "Barrs" (?? I think) It came in a small container ( size of a pill bottle), looked to be quite concentrated. I used it to stop a leak at a freeze plug too. It worked fine for me, I only used about 1/2 of the bottle. No increase in engine temp's.

If you decide to go with the freeze plug replacement, my local LR dealer was able to get the plug, I think its a standard size from an older 4 cyl LR engine.
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dennis, you used it in the Tdi? I jsut saw the stuff at auto zone. they make one that is silver in color and one with copper. Do you remember which one you used?
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I call BS on the pepper thing. That probably stems from the fact that some radiator seal products come in a container that resembles the pepper container.

Radiator stop-leak products are a temporary fix. Used repeatedly they can clog cellular heater cores. The Bars Leaks brand says that it won't, but I don't believe it.

I have a leaky core plug on my 2.25 And am putting that repair off, just trying to keep it topped up as it is a very slow leak. But I keep a "redi-tite" expandable rubber plug behind the drivers seat for that day when it finally goes and I am out on the road somewhere.

My machine shop uses 3m weatherstrip adhesive on the edges of the new plugs before they drive them in.

Randy, I don't suspect there are any coolant passages in the Tdi small enough to be blocked by such a product but like I said, it can block the heater core. I view these products as "get ya home" or "until payday" type solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Dennis, you used it in the Tdi? I jsut saw the stuff at auto zone. they make one that is silver in color and one with copper. Do you remember which one you used?
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

IIRC you can just tap a chisel through it and pry it out, then drive a new one straight in with a small piece of wood and a hammer. Of course access is usually the issue.
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pry it out and replace it. There is a special loctite sealant that you are supposed to use to reinstall them.
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I will have to get a new one.. It will just be a PITA to tap it in... Its in a shitty spot to get a good hit with a hammer. Not sure how hard you need to tap to get it in. I have scene the sealant for the plugs..
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Not hard to tap in, at least on a V8. Stick it in the freezer first to shrink it a little bit
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Yes, in my Tdi. I used the copper one. Worked great for me, and I've had no side effects (and its been over 2 years ago that I did it)

Dennis
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

This may be a fine time to consider adding a block heater; one of the kind that goes in place of a freeze plug. If you have a diesel and don't already have one that is. Search Kim Hotstart for all kinds of engine heater products. No, I don't work for them.
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Randy let us know if you go with the block heater
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just got the freeze plug to repair it. Also borrowed a kick ass installer tool too. I will let you guys know. One person told me to install it dry but I can not see that working out without leaking..
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

That's what lead to my initial freeze plug leak....trying to install a block heater from RN The block hole size is 2-1/16". They swore it was a LR part...NOT !! But I did find one that fits perfectly and doesn't leak. I bought it from valu-bilt.com. It's for a Ford diesel Tractor 192"CID. Valu's part # is 2356467, cost is about $47. Consumes 450 Watts @120VAC. The frost plug is actually made by Katz.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi