300tdi white smoke after runaway! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck
95 RRC 300tdi/wvo conversion

300tdi white smoke after runaway!

My 300tdi was running normally, yet blowing a bit of oil around the "oil cyclone" on the rocker cover.
Started to lose power while accelerating onto a highway (acted like fuel starving). Pulled over, engine stalled. Cranked engine again, got it started and had a crazy runaway motor situation for a few seconds before I put it in gear and stalled the motor. No tach on the truck, but it must have reached 5,000+ rpms. Blew white smoke everywhere! No overheating occurred.
Had the truck towed home.
Disconnected the oil cyclone and adjusted the valves. Truck starts normally but white smoke billows out of the exhaust. No noticeable knocking from the motor. Will move under its own power, but has very little throttle response.
It is a 94 300tdi out of a disco, I believe. I have it in a 95 rrc with an auto tranny now.
Never had the timing belt replaced, to my knowledge.
No oil in the water or water in the oil.
Timing belt jumped? Turbo seals gone bad?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Check the turbo first as it "might" just be a blown oil seal. If that is not it, pull the head which is quick and easy.
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck

Are you thinking head gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
White smoke is usually anti freeze. Any pressure @ the coolant bottle ?
Whats the deal with your fuel filter ? Changed recently ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

smokey

Check and replace the fuel filter first. If it moves and is down on power all of a sudden and is blowing white/blue smoke I would check the fuel filter. Happened to us with a 200tdi was only a plugged fuel filter
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I am with Doug. If the seal in the turbo was gone you would think it would be blowing black smoke. White smoke means it is running lean or water in the fuel. Check what Doug mentioned as well as pull the air intake hose off the turbo and the hoses from the inner cooler. look to see how much, if any, oil you have in them. One of my trucks did the same thing. Going up a hill under load started blowing white smoke all over, think I stopped traffic. Mine was a blown head gasket with some piston scorch. If it is the head gasket loo to the rear right of the motor. That is a common area for the gasket to go.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

White smoke can be from coolant or fuel.
Lacking power then stalling could be fuel starvation, the white smoke and poor throttle response can also be fuel starvation or injection timing (esp after a run away, poss belt jumping a tooth).
The run away part usually is from oil in the intake, and if its and auto, should not have stalled just by putting in gear....
What does the smoke smell like? Raw fuel, sweet (coolant) or like oil?
Does it smoke right from start up or take a bit of time to begin smoking?
You can pull the exhaust down pipe and compressor outlet off and check for oil on either side of the turbo.
Check for oil in the inter-cooler too a bit is normal, a lot is not.
Go over it thoroughly to make sure if its not already damaged from the first run away that it does not happen again. Find what caused the problem and fix it. A positive air shut off might be something to think of.. It was a topic not so long ago on another tdi run away last year I think..
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
White smoke on a diesel is partially burnt fuel. The fuel can be diesel or the crankcase oil. To be partially burnt it needs to either be injected late or oil coming in after the combustion such as through the turbine side of the turbo.

Black smoke is too much but fully burnt fuel.
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:55 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

White smoke can also be partially burnt fuel from lack of compression in one or more cylinders.

Not sure why it "ran away" other than from trying to start it. If it was really running on its own oil you wouldn't stop it by putting an auto box in gear. Change the fuel filter and make sure your getting some fuel to it and see if it runs right. Before doing this prepare for it running away again just to be safe. (start it with the air filter disconnected and have a bible ready to block the air flow)
If it's still blowing white smoke after a bit, start pulling hoses and if all that looks ok pull the head see what went wrong.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Before pulling the head, check the compression of each cylinder. Then you can take it apart.
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:57 AM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

head gasket and or turbo seals. it's getting oil from so where to run away on its own which usually come from an oil way passing or turbo seals passing.
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck

WOW, great replies and advice.
Sounds like some of you have "been there and done that"!
I will begin with the simplest fix and work my way forward.
Either way, I know I'm gonna renew the timing belt.
Thank you.
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

I never notice "95 RRC 300tdi/wvo conversion" b4. I am not sure what the climate is like down there but any chance the wvo was gelled from low temps? Def look into changing your filters and making sure the wvo is as clean as you can get it b4 it goes into your tank.
Do your belt swap, let us know if it was out, change the fuel filters check the compression and report back.
Still does not account for the run away... did you use any "starting aids" like either, wd40, brake kleene or the like after it stalled to restart it? A true run away would not likely stall out with an automatic just by putting it in gear...
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:05 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Same thing that made me think it was fuel related.

It *can* happen to really worn engines that have excessive blow by and a restricted air flow (a reason why many diesel air filters have a "guage" to show when the filter is dirty) but I doubt that to be the case here.

The run aways I've had have been very violent and it can be hard to find the truck in the smoke never mind getting it shut down. I couldn't stall one with a standard......just smoked the clutch. Not sure what would happen with the auto but I can't imagine it stopping the rage.

To shut down you can blow co2 into the intake if you have a fire extinguisher. I'm not sure if a power tank would do it.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old December 29th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck

I run a two-tank diesel/wvo system. Always start on diesel, let the engine warm up, then switch to wvo. I have an in-tank heat exchanger and a flat plate heat exchanger, both heated by engine coolant. A 12v heated filter further warms the wvo side of my fuel system. Coolant sensor a few inches before the IP indicate my wvo temp to be 160 F within 4 miles of travel.
I don't use any ether or other starting aids.
Looking back, it does seem strange that just a foot on the brake and putting it in drive would have stopped a true "runaway" condition.
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Its been a few days now. A compression test and a fuel quality test would go a long way to diagnosing your problem. If you are ready to know.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I think your turbo has had it's chips. check your turbo outlet pipe i bet its full of oil as well as the pipe to the inlet manifold.

mine died in the same way, lots of white smoke at idle but I caught it before it started to race on the oil.
don't forget to clean the pipes and flush the intercooler and the inlet manifold.

regards to all & a trouble free new near.

Gren
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck

My intercooler had quite a bit of oil in the bottom, turbo had play in the impeller, head gasket appeared to be leaking oil at the rear of the head.
Removed the timing cover first. IP pump gear not lined up with hole for timing pin. Hole in drive gear on the pump is closer to ten oclock than eleven while crank and cam gears are on TDC marks. Appears to have jumped time.
Can I just rotate the IP gear with the big nut until the timing pin slides in, then install the new belt and tensioner, pulleys, etc?
I decided to buy a new bare head as I found one for $350 delivered. Will replace the head gasket and have the old valves reseated. New seals and pushrods on the way. NEED VALVE SPRINGS!!
New turbocharger on the way. Also opted for a new larger intercooler as the 300tdi intercooler was kinda pricey and a larger intercooler just seemed like a good improvement.
New lift pump just because...
Will post back with results once my parts roll in.
Anyone have a good lead on 300tdi valve springs and/or valves. If I'm gonna put this thing back together I don't want to miss anything.
I also will install an oil catch-can for the crank vents and no longer allow oil from the crank to enter the rocker box.
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The turbo should normally have a fair amount of play in the impeller.

Old January 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you jumped a tooth, you would be very retarded and blowing big smoke.

Oil in intercooler is normal, from the CCV system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi