300tdi white smoke after runaway! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfin' Elvis View Post
turbo had play in the impeller
I've rebuilt several Garrett T3's and turbo shaft play tolerances are pretty tight.

I think the spec is something on the order of 0.001 to 0.003" axial (in the direction of the shaft), which should feel like absolutely no play with your fingers. More generous radial (normal to shaft) tolerance of 0.010" to 0.020". Generous is relative here though.

You didn't need to replace the whole turbo though unless the shaft is scored/burnt or the hot side/cold side impellers are chipped/ground down. Just buy a $30 rebuild kit off Ye Old Ebay. Turbo CHRAs are standard by shaft (T2/T3/T4). No real need to rebalance as long as the shaft nut and shaft are returned to their original configuration. I have run two rebuilt turbos like this 40,000 miles, no problems.

Nowadays there are 360 degree thrust bearing kits avail for extra money. But for stock boost on tiny tdi turbos maybe overkill

then again if your leak was substantial maybe a good chance the impellers were hitting the housing and therefore pretty badly messed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
No real need to rebalance as long as the shaft nut and shaft are returned to their original configuration. I have run two rebuilt turbos like this 40,000 miles, no problems.
Interesting. I've rebuilt over 100 turbos and rarely, if ever, had one where both the compressor and turbine wheels didn't need rebalancing.

To stop any future runaways, one of these is worth consideration.
http://www.amotusa.com/products/air-...tterfly-valves

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:42 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
More generous radial (normal to shaft) tolerance of 0.010" to 0.020". Generous is relative here though.
The radial play is easily felt by hand even in a brand new out of the box Garrett. It's an often misdiagnosed issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck
95 RRC 300tdi/wvo conversion

Quote:
To stop any future runaways, one of these is worth consideration.
http://www.amotusa.com/products/air-...tterfly-valves
Oh, yes, I will be installing one of these! Thank you.
I also have a diesel generator for my house. That will also be fitted with one.
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Would like to know which shutoff you end up using from those listed...keep us posted.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 14th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Would a shutoff valve in theory work installed in the snorkel? I've been thinking about doing this as well, and thought the snorkel would be ideal as it's easy to reach and can be installed in between the rubber elbow and steel tube.

Second question, would it cause any damage to block the snorkel to see if the motor dies? I know gas engines are okay, but didn't know about diesels.

Semper Fi!
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Would a shutoff valve in theory work installed in the snorkel? I've been thinking about doing this as well, and thought the snorkel would be ideal as it's easy to reach and can be installed in between the rubber elbow and steel tube.
I don't think I'd want mine within reach of the general population. Lest some moron shuts off the valve when the car is parked in public or something.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No personal experience with these, but I think you want the shutoff to be installed right at the intake manifold. Blocking the intake at the snorkel or air filter sucks the intake hoses flat (try it) and at that point they could easily separate and allow the engine to keep running. It won't damage the engine to block it if you want to see what happens.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck

I searched for one that looked like it may fit with no luck. There are not many passenger vehicle-sized applications out there that I could find. Most are bulky industrial sized rigs.
I spent a few hours yesterday building one out of a thin-walled piece of 3-inch aluminum intake pipe. I plan to operate it via a cable and mount it right behind my silicone elbow coupler at the intake to the turbo. It's not completely air tight, but I will test it once the truck is running and report back. Heck, it only cost me 2 hours and a few pieces of scrap hardware. Add a choke cable and the whole thing costs less than ten bucks. Will post a pic in a bit.
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	No 4 Piston Top.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	46349Uh-oh...
#4 cylinder not looking too sporty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi