300tdi white smoke - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 21st, 2013, 01:50 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

300tdi white smoke

Well... white smoke is back, never really left except on hot days in summer. There is along history of this through multiple threads but here is the summary:
White smoke on cold start, not much at idle but when reved especially when letting off there is a lot of white smoke and a slight stumble. Much worse at altitude or in winter. Also appears when going down hill on over run if the motor is a little cold.
Virtually disappears when the motor is warm

I have checked/replaced the normal: injectors, fuel/air filter, fuel return lines, turbo hoses, advanced timing slightly, changed timing belt/pulleys.

There is no evidence of head gasket problems and no obvious excessive pressure in crankcase.

I'm down to a few culprits but would like to spend my time wisely...thoughts?:

Timing- Although I've replaced the belt/pulleys, check and rechecked and advanced... I'm still worried. Is it possible to be off a tooth and have it all line up with in reason? What about the key on the crank? Is it worth setting using the special dial indicator?

Valve stem seals/guides- They are probably leaking s little... but the problem smoke is quite white with a little blue/grey. I do get a little blue smoke after sitting at idle for a while... but not enough to care.

Head problem- I have read a few threads suggesting head issues (crack or bent push rod) can cause these symptoms. thoughts?

Turbo- There is a little play in the shaft, no more than my 200tdi though. Definitely oil in hoses but there always has been. Waste gate seems to function properly. Would a turbo going give symptoms like this? I have no clue on turbos age...but I bet it is old.

Rings- Good god I hope not. Using a little oil but not excessive at all no evidence of blowby from oil cap.

IP- Any chance the IP is knackered? I have messed with the pre boost fuel but never the other adjustments. No leaks or anything obvious. lines to intake are intact.

I think my next step is a compression test and I am thinking of pulling the cover and looking at the timing belt again to be sure. I really want this problem fixed this summer but I feel like I'm going around in circles.

Any insight or advise is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
White smoke is unburned fuel or oil. It needs to get into the cylinder too late to combust, after the combustion or from lack of combustion.

Have you checked compression?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM
D90user
steve

Compression is next on my list, I may do it today If I get out of work early. Even is obviously important but what numbers should I expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are specs in the manual, but it depends a bit on the method you use.

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Also, check your voltage for the glow system. You shouldnt really have it at cold start. How is the temp at the gauge? In the winter and fall, albeit this was on a BJ60, I used to pull the blind down on the radiator to get some heat in the motor.
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Shouldn't need the glows above 20degF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Also, check your voltage for the glow system. You shouldnt really have it at cold start. How is the temp at the gauge? In the winter and fall, albeit this was on a BJ60, I used to pull the blind down on the radiator to get some heat in the motor.
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

White smoke = water

Check the fuel for water.
Check for coolant leaking into the cylinders.
Check coolant overflow bottle for compression bubbles.

Doesn't take much water to create a lot of white smoke.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM
D90user
steve

I dont think glow is an issue. Shouldn't need them in CA... ever

Rob- Will do, but the smoke is not pure white, more white/grey/ with a little blue.
There is nothing obvious in the expansion tank. clean and clear and there is no coolant loss.
Old June 21st, 2013, 04:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
"Much worse at altitude or in winter"

At higher altitude, my guess is that you are on the boost more often. Assuming you are not losing oil (you would be losing oil pretty rapidly given the amount of smoke you are describing) then I would venture a guess that this has less to do with cylinder pressure and more to do with the IP seeing more boost pressure more often.

Here's a question: Ignoring the temperature related issues, Is the problem worse when you are boosting?

If not, I think a simple diesel engine compression test is in order. This would help you rule out the rings, which when worn, could cause the issues you describe due to issues with thermal expansion (or lack thereof).
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
http://www.costeffective.com.au/news_show.php?StoryId=9
Any (read "small") amount of water will bring you to having white smoke.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 21st, 2013, 06:05 PM
D90user
steve

Ran a compression test, but my nozzles valve is busted. Peak at each turn of motor is 190 across all 4.
Ill borrow a new nozzle and run it again though.

BUT the glow plug on #3 was covered in oil. So was nozzle after test.

Valve stem seal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-229565788.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	74790  
Old June 21st, 2013, 06:13 PM
D90user
steve

Btw- it was cold and had been sitting for a week.
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Bolson
Ben Olson
1995 Defender 110

Registry
I had similar issues with my 300 tdi and it was a combination of one bad injector (#2) and valve stem seals. ( 170000kms on the motor ) as far as I could tell they had never been done. Also all my glow plugs were dead and I never had any issues starting

Stem seals can be done in situ but I chose to pull the head to check the guides/ lap the valves/ check for cracks etc...
Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You have a water jacket at the back of the motor that fails in the head gasket. You do not see water leaking on the outside of the motor but will loose a little coolant in the over flow bottle. I had one that didn't pressurize the coolant but blew white smoke until the motor was warm. Have you tried to smell the exhaust to see it it has a smell of coolant or diesel?
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:56 AM
D90user
steve

No smell that I can tell.

Anyone replace a stem seal in situ? Advise?
I think it is worth a shot on #3
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:05 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Am I the only one who thinks 190 is a little (a lot) low for a diesel? Shouldn't it be 24bar?

http://www.turner-engineering.co.uk/

My immediate instinct is to say that the rings need replacement. Repeating with a little heavyweight oil in the cylinders might be worth doing.
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Check the injectors...

OK, so it's not pure white, so if it were mine, the next step would be to pull the injectors and test them or have them tested. They will need both pop testing and spray pattern testing. If you don't have a pop tester, any good diesel shop can test the injectors. They will fit in a small flat rate box if you want to send them to Elton Wright at Blue Ridge Diesel, Roanoke, VA. They are familiar with the 300TDI injectors, unlike people who will tell you "this is a European model".

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:07 PM
D90user
steve

I think you are right 190 is low. but remember my compression tester is not working properly. The valve on the glow plug insert does not function so pressure is not building at each turn. This is essentially the max pressure at a single rotation... still looking for a functioning glow plug insert to get more accurate numbers.

At least they are reasonably even

------ Follow up post added June 24th, 2013 02:08 PM ------

Injectors are ~5000miles new.
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The dirty glow plug is most likely just a dead plug. Run a jumper cable across each and see if they work.

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:34 PM
D90user
steve

I checked the compression using a working tester.
All 4 are 400ish. So that's good.

Thinking of trying to replace that stem seal then if that doesn't do it take the turbo out to have it serviced.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi