300tdi water pump question...doesn't look oem? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
300tdi water pump question...doesn't look oem?

I have a quick question...recently bought a waterpump for a 300tdi, and after careful reading on this forum decided OEM was definitely the way to go. However...when I received the pump, both the actual pump and the packaging did not look "OEM". It also appeared to have a little slight corrosion on the inside of the pump housing/mounting surface.

Is this normal? Does this look OEM? The pics I've seen of OEM pumps definitely look different...the bolt holes are clean milled, pump rod looks slightly different, and other little things (like the packaging...also shown).

Let me know if I'm crazy of if people agree. It's just that I paid OEM prices (twice of aftermarket) and don't want to not get what I paid for. Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	27787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	27788  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2567.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	27789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	27790  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
no Land Rover Genuine parts sticker its not OEM
give you $5 for it

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cripes...that's what I thought. Here's the other kicker....while it did come in an "OEM" box (with land rover part#5000090), the bottom of the box was obviously open and stuffed inside was this part wrapped in the plastic wrap with that mystery "1695 REM" sticker. I'm assuming your verdict still stands Doug?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Correct me if I am wrong here but..

Genuine would come in a LR box with the part number

OEM should be from the company that made it for Land Rover in the past or present but does not come with the fancy LR package or part number quality should be same + or - (example lockheed brakes or lucas parts)

Aftermarket is a part that someone has made to work in the original application such as britpart, all makes, proline . Never know about fit or quality but lowest price option
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Essentially (though I realize they are technically different), for argument sake I'll consider OEM/Genuine parts in the same category with this. The issue is that while it *did* come in a 'Genuine Parts' box, I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed...but all you have is a guaranteed piece of shit. I can do that, I've got the time .

My issue is: 1) box was open, 2) part inside did not look like what I'd consider Genuine/OEM, 3) part was wrapped loosely in some plastic with a mystery part# on there.

The above is making me double-take...and for $130 I paid + shipping it just sent my radar up. And FYI it was from a reputable supplier, discussed as a genuine part, not some fly-by-night company so was not expecting issues.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do 300tdi pumps come with the new style gaskets? The pump itself looks high quality (tough to tell without holding it in your hand), but only a paper gasket. On V8 genuine pumps the genuine gasket (comes seperate) is a different style that has little raised beads in it not plain paper.

It would not surprise me if someone bought this and then returned it with an aftermarket pump in the genuine box.
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Actually I plan to bring the pump to our NOVA HH tonight with the local D90 guys...Doug will be there too, so if all else fails I've got him locked in to buy it for $5
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 20th, 2010, 03:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

BTW I got your $20 and will mail the harness as soon as I get out of my office (could be several days).
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron...absolute no rush on the mailing...whenever works for you - thanks for confirming.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Britpart = $hitpart
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Britpart = $hitpart
Bearmach = Bearcrap
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Britpart = $hitpart
Agreed...but nothing on it says Britpart, but is that what you think it may be?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Bearmach = Bearcrap

Actually, bearmach is infinately better than britpart... as scary as that seems!
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

They are all crap in my experience. I have reached the point where I buy genuine everything if I can -- cost be damned.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It's hard to find Genuine for everything these days. I wanted a Genuine starter but finally gave up trying to buy one and got a Bearmach from AB.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
It's hard to find Genuine for everything these days. I wanted a Genuine starter but finally gave up trying to buy one and got a Bearmach from AB.

IIRC it supersedes to the DII bosch starter. I think I have one on the shelf from when they were $180 new.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Honestly,

Genuine is not that great either. Some of the oem parts are terrible.

I just buy from George, put it on. It works out.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, oem, tdi, water, water pump