300Tdi Troubleshooting (again) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:04 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Mystery Solved.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Oh dear hope it's not too serious.
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Mystery Solved.....
Even I'm relieved it was something simple...if you had another head gasket issue I would have lost faith myself .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
First thing you should check is valve clearance, may be a push rod nut came loose.
So am I a voodoo master or what ?
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
So am I a voodoo master or what ?
Hahaha... maybe a brujo?

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:39 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Parts ordered from Paddock. Rovers North wouldn't be able to get them for almost 2 weeks before shipping to me, and I waited on hold with Atlantic British for 20 minutes before giving up.

I really miss having British Pacific.

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Did you try www.lrdirect.com ?
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Process not described, but point is probably moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Saw the clip with broken rocker bolt, so describing the process you used to torque your head is probably moot at this time, but did not see any technical data that you posted on those links, but could have missed it as there were lots of posts to go through.

For example torqued the xxmm bolts 60, 30, 60 degrees and waited 3 hours between each torque and followed this order. Torqued the smaller xxmm bolts 60, 30, 30 degrees blah blah yadda yadda... Had the engine block resurfaced with a light skim of 2 thou. Head was checked and 2.5 thou removed to make it flat... and so on.

Am still at work, so don't have a manual in front of me to be exact. At least one of the published shop manuals have incorrect degree specs for torquing the head bolts. That was the info I was looking for just to double check your process and perhaps help from that approach.

Sorry you had an issue, but at least it looks like a simple repair... good luck.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Oh, I am extremely anal about the head procedure. It was followed to the Ts every single time.

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Did you try www.lrdirect.com ?
No... Paddock as been good to me, as has Britcar. Never used LRDirect before... but I do like their interface. I already have Microcat so the part numbers are easy to get.

Old July 9th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Why would you ever reuse head bolts? Stretch or torque to yield bolts are single use only.

Not all TTY bolts are single use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi