300tdi top speed average? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2012, 03:55 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
I have a 200tdi sender that you can borrow if that would help. I'm in Berkeley (I believe we met a month or 2 ago).
Have you tried to wire it up in the truck separate from the trucks harness? Might be worth a shot for diagnostics.

Are you putting sealant on the sender? You should not as it needs ground contact.

Good luck!
thanks for the offer i'm running a vdo gauge and sender so they have to pair up. i have tried to wire it separately, no joy. i even disconnected the ground lead and ran a jumper cable to the sender directly so as to isolate it and take any potential weird grounds out of the equation. nothing.

as for resistance values:

sender housing to block 0 ohms
sender spade terminal to housing overload.

going to bench test again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have a proper 200tdi VDO sender.
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

thanks i might take you up on that, only problem is i keep getting new senders and same problem each time, bench test perfect, in the truck issues. i can take them out and make the senders work on the bench again (sometimes) and then in truck nada. makes me think something in the truck is wrong and causing these to implode some how.

new update: swapped out fuel filter and cleaned sedimenter (actually did sedimenter first, ran the truck then the fuel filter). new problem: idle perfect, start moving and as soon as the turbo spools up no power, let of gas small sputter/occasional stall and then it recovers. i have bled the top screw, bottom screw thingy, primed it manually from the lift pump. what did I do wrong?
today's score
truck 3 solis 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You have to bleed the fuel system correctly.

The banjo bolt for the return line of the injection pump has a regulator in it. Take this bolt out and bleed the system with the lift pump. When fuel runs out in a constant stream, bleed a little more and then replace the banjo bolt. Do not loose the two seals that make the connection.

What does the sender ohm test now. I had another thought for you. The sender needs to sense tempurature by coolant passing by it. If you have not bleed the air out of the cooling system the sensor is not getting any heat to sense. It needs to be immersed in antifreeze. and the engines are slow to warm up as well. Maybe a good test drive is in order with the system being "bench tested installed" Then when it works bring the circuits in one by one. to find the problem.

Good Luck

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You did verify the lift pump is working, right? They should self bleed with working pump. Everything is tight, so there are no air leaks?
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:43 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You did verify the lift pump is working, right? They should self bleed with working pump. Everything is tight, so there are no air leaks?
I manually primed it, lift pump to my knowledge works, was working fine before i jumped in the rabbit hole

as for the bench test, sender read spot on ohm to temp per the vdo spec sheet, i did not power it back up, just dunked it in hot water
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

so i think i am retarded, i can't get any of this to work, i am actually very mechanically inclined although you wouldn't know it from today. tried to do your recs Pendy, took off banjo bolt, manually primed until nice flow of diesel, then reattached with a few more pumps for good measure. truck fires up, idles well, and then while in neutral and giving it some throttle, i hear the turbo kick in, then it runs but sputters, won't continue to rev up, and white smoke comes out the tail pipe (i'm surprised the fire dept hasn't shown up yet with all the mess i am making). truck 4 solis 0
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

so i don't know if it matters as this is a new problem but i had a 2.5 TD in the truck and swapped it for a 200tdi and the fuel filter is the original one, smallish canister type that has a top and bottom bit that sandwich it together. does this affect anything long term?
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:53 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Ok here are pics of the Delphi I took out and the wix I put in (it is what the local shop had). Does the wix filter not have enough flow capacity for the 200tdi? Is that why I'm having issues? That and I need to rebleed the system tomorrow

Oh yeah this is what was in my sedimenter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1333854116.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	47977   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-168758888.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	47978  

Name:	image-1545168945.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	47979   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-124433981.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	47980  

Name:	image-3733930767.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	613.5 KB
ID:	47981  
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is not a good idea to run it long term as the filtration is not good enough. The holes in the TDI injectors are MUCH smaller than in the 2.5TD

How do you have the fuel pipes arranged? The TDI arrangement is quite different than the TD and that may be causing the problem.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

I'm not sure what you mean by fuel lines. There are 3
1 from the lifter pump to the filter
1 from the side of the inj pump (near where you make diaphragm adjustments etc to the filter
1 to the banjo bolt on the IP

Today's problem happened right after I swapped the fuel filter and cleaned the sedimenter. Before that the problem was not enough uumph to get it going which was new after the 1.4 t case was put in. Before it had the 1.6 and wound it up pretty good.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by fuel lines. There are 3
1 from the lifter pump to the filter
1 from the side of the inj pump (near where you make diaphragm adjustments etc to the filter
1 to the banjo bolt on the IP
Right and that is wrong. The line from the banjo (the return line) should go to the tank. If not, the air can't get out of the system.

The fuel should come from the tank to the sedimenter then to the lift pump. From the lift pump to the filter. From the filter to the injection pump. Spill lines and injection pump outlet join at a banjo and this line should return to the tank.

An a NA and TD, the injection pump returns to the filter and the spill lines go to the tank. This arrangment will trap air with the TDI pump.

Fix this and see where is goes. It is quite possible you have messed up the injectors using the wrong filter as well.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well how about this.

Take the banjo bolt out and stick a clear hose in the injection pump fitting to run some fuel to a container. Put that fuel in a clear container and hold it up into the light to see the quaility of the fuel and check for water. White smoke out the tailpipe can be water. But at this point it would be nice to just inspect the fuel quaility and rule that out.

You need to be looking for air leaks on the filters and connections you have loosened as well. Air leaks will cause you problems. Can seem like smoke as well. When you bleed the system with the lift pump does it feel like it is moving fuel very well? Are you getting a good stroke and moving some fuel with just a single movement. Or does the lift pump feel like it is having trouble doing its job?

Those older fuel filter can be a pain in the ass with the way they route the fluid. I would %hitcan that system and get a modern in/out filter in the engine bay. Return the fuel from the injectors and injector pump back to the tank and not the filter as well.

Has this truck had fuel burn through it regularly, or has it been sitting a spell and brought back to life recently. Just wonder if you are bringing a bunch of crud out of the tanks. You very well may have crap in the tank sticking the pickup tube that goes to the sedimentor as well. Might be good to take a look in the tank if this goes on much longer. And blow the lines out into a container when you do this to see if they are full of crap as well.

But I want to hear about the temperature guage working soon as well. Keep after it you will get it sorted.

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2012 11:25 PM ------

Quote:
Right and that is wrong. The line from the banjo (the return line) should go to the tank. If not, the air can't get out of the system.

The fuel should come from the tank to the sedimenter then to the lift pump. From the lift pump to the filter. From the filter to the injection pump. Spill lines and injection pump outlet join at a banjo and this line should return to the tank.

An a NA and TD, the injection pump returns to the filter and the spill lines go to the tank. This arrangment will trap air with the TDI pump.

Fix this and see where is goes. It is quite possible you have messed up the injectors using the wrong filter as well.
Yes I see Red has pointed this out as well. Pay attention to this

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Wow where we're you guys when I really needed you back when the engine was installed. Ok so tomorrow I will bleed the system, Pendy: I didn't take the bolt out as I can see now you clearly said to do. I loosened it and removed it from the IP but left the bolt in the ring/banjo housing. As for the lift pump it seemed to work out but I don't think it was in maximal position. I have read more bout it and not sure the engine/cam was at the correct position. I was able to get fuel out of it though. Red90: thanks for the breakdown (Pendy too). I see where the return line on the filter goes back to the tank and once the proper Filter assembly is here I will run it that way: in from lifter to filter, out to IP (closer to front of truck) and then connect the return line to the left side of the housing for the fuel diaphragm/star nut. Seriously if you guys are ever on the west coast SF bay area i owe you a beer!

More updates in the am
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
With the correct fuel line arrangement the 200tdi will self bleed.
Last week I serviced the 110.
While the oil was draining out I changed the fuel filter. Installed the new one empty.
Put in fresh oil & an oil filter fired it up, no problem. shut it down let it stand rechecked to oil level, fired it up and away I went. No bleeding, no fuss. just let it tick over for a minute or two after the fuel filter is changed and it will self bleed.
I used to mess about bleeding the system then I was told it would self bleed, it does if the set up is correct.
Red90 has the correct hook-up for the fuel lines
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
With the correct fuel line arrangement the 200tdi will self bleed.
Yes, I have dual tanks and run empty all the time.... It always self primes. You are not supposed to do it too much though as the fuel lubricates the injection pump.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Ok today's update. Back to the bench hooked it up, nothing. Messed a bit and viola it works. Here's what I found out: the female connect to the spade on the sender was position dependent. At first i thought that was strange bc rotating the sender 90 degrees (not the wire) made it work. But i have come to the conclusion that although the wire has good continuity it seems as tho it is finicky when hooked up so I will make a new sender wire and see what happens. Yes I feel dumb but if this works I won't care. No more work today it's my last day of vaca and I'll be back at it sat (my new proper 2 port fuel filter assembly should be here by then thank you Trevor ala Rovahfarm.)
Just so I do this right, the hose from the left side of the tuning diaphragm on the IP is the return to tank line correct?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thats good new. Just a fiddly connector to replace.
The return is towards the back of the engine and the inlet to the injection pump is towards the front. If you feel like it take some pictures of your hose routing when you are done and we can help you double check it.

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2012 07:00 PM ------

Quote:
Yes, I have dual tanks and run empty all the time.... It always self primes. You are not supposed to do it too much though as the fuel lubricates the injection pump.
If you bleed the fuel system like I recomend if is not a hassle at all. Letting it self bleed is just lazy and asking for trouble.

Sorta like changing your engine oil with the engine running. Yeah you could do it, but why?

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

My only concern is that when the sender is in the truck the ohms coming out of it are off the charts when it should be within the range of the sender. So hopefully it's just the connector but I don't have my hopes up just yet.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
I llike the feed back on the fuel system I was wondering if the srew or what looks like a screw is the a bleeder on the injection pump?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi