300tdi timing belt tensioner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

300tdi timing belt tensioner

Both Rovafarm and British Pacific have two options of the ERR1972 tensioner listed. With both vendors, one is three times the money ($25 vs $75). Anyone know why there is a huge price difference and is the "top dollar" one worth the money?

Thanks, Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I forget the part numbers but you want to get the new modified set up. You can get them in a kit with a tensioner and gear. If you are doing the replacement get the newest version.
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
one early, one late. As Mike says one goes with the crank pulley that has no lip the other goes with the one that does. get the dayco brand stuff. The early setup had problems with the belt walking off the pulley. I opened 1 engine and the timing cover was full of ground up rubber-the belt wouldn't have gone much further.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Maybe a little more info from me would help.

My motor is a 2001 vintage, it's serial number is > 16L 88335XX, it has 117,000 miles on it.
It was new when I installed it, this will be my 2nd belt change.

Just looking at the pictures on either vendors web site, the pulley's look identical on the cheap & expensive versions. Just thought that since I'm in there I'd swap out the tensioner too, since it's the original that came with the motor.
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Spend the money and get the OEM one. I have had to "file to fit" on some of the less expensive ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Maybe a little more info from me would help.

My motor is a 2001 vintage, it's serial number is > 16L 88335XX, it has 117,000 miles on it.
It was new when I installed it, this will be my 2nd belt change.

Just looking at the pictures on either vendors web site, the pulley's look identical on the cheap & expensive versions. Just thought that since I'm in there I'd swap out the tensioner too, since it's the original that came with the motor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi