300tdi Timing belt question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

300tdi Timing belt question

Quick question,

Going to be doing my timing belt shortly and wondering how useful the timing belt tool kit thing that Roversnorth sells is?? link below.... Anyone use it, tried searching but nothing specific on this.

http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...200-%26-300TdI

Also one more question, I want to upgrade to the modified tensioner, crank gear, and idler of the later models. Are these interchangeable on the early 300, I found the kit on RovahFarm and tried calling Trevor but no one picked up.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I think if you've done the job a few times before you should be able to jerry rig some tooling together yourself but if this is your first time I would recommend the kit. It makes the allignment of critical parts very straight forward. Key word here is critical. If the timing is off you can do damage. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

well seeing it is my first time doing it I think I will be purchasing them! I'd rather spend the money on the kit then on rebuilding the engine.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2013, 04:47 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

It's a lot of money, if you're only doing a 300.

All you need is an 9mm drill bit to lock the FIP pulley, and a wading plug drilled straight through the centre, then a (I think) 5mm, might be 6mm drill bit pushed through blunt end first to locate in the slot in the flywheel.

However, as said above by Andy, if you've done the job before than what I've just typed will make sense, if you've not done it before then maybe the proper kit is advisable to save any embarrasing engine noises LOL!
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:53 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Kit? penny wise pound foolish?

I bought the kit and use it 6 or 7 times a year.
You might be able to get by without it, but is it worth it?
And the kit has the pulley lock piece that lets you swap the IP without tearing the engine down.
I would also pick up a crank pulley locking tool.
Have taken apart 3 300TDIs and 4 200TDIs that had the crank pulley and bottom timing gear key ways wallowed out because the crank bolt came loose or was never tightened all the way.
Apply some locktight blue...

Can't understand why people drop a bundle and then skimp on the special tools knowing if the belt timing is wrong then they risk major engine damage.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I would also pick up a crank pulley locking tool.
Just curious where'd you get the crank pulley locking tool from? Need to score one, but thinking I may have to order one from the UK.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 16th, 2013, 12:47 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Just curious where'd you get the crank pulley locking tool from? Need to score one, but thinking I may have to order one from the UK.
I picked up mine at difflock.com. Shipping wasn't too bad and showed up in less than a week. Also picked up their driveshft bolt tool to make it a lot easier to remove the driveshaft.
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Chaps, after years of using chopped down bolts, I needed a new crank gear puller and ended up buying locking pins and puller from this chap :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIMING-TOO...item53ef9e7776

no association just a happy customer.

regards all

Gren
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:56 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We designed them and had them manufactured...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Did the design and had them manufactured at a machine shop we deal with regularly...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi