300tdi timing belt change now problems - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

sucks that a 4 hr job at best can turn into such a clusterfewk.

I'd suggest that if you have the shop manual and the fella doing the work can't get this right from reading it....get the thing to someone who can. It really is not that difficult. Go back to the beggining and start again. No need to be a mechanic really, just need to be able to read and have access to some tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I am sending it to a Land cruiser shop that has toyota diesel experience. he says he can fix it with the shop manual. no Rover shops around here willing to take it on. reckon it is the IP but will do compression test also. thanks for all of the advice.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Let us know what they find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

i will thanks
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

just read my last post and sounded to myself like quite the a$$hole. Sorry 'bout that. Been moving and working and playing and not sleeping and I think in the sleep deprived surf haze I may have got a little cranky.

Best of luck with it Todd. I'll probably come visit on may way through on the Fla delivery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am going to be doing mine soon, hope it goes smoothly.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
I am going to be doing mine soon, hope it goes smoothly.
Is there a way to inspect it without pulling it out? Mine was done when I got the engine. I have only put maybe 5-10k miles on it since then. But they are the hardest miles possible. I don't want to blow the thing apart, thats for sure.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Is there a way to inspect it without pulling it out? Mine was done when I got the engine. I have only put maybe 5-10k miles on it since then. But they are the hardest miles possible. I don't want to blow the thing apart, thats for sure.
I would just replace it, the belts are super cheap. Replacement engines, on the other hand aren't.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
I would just replace it, the belts are super cheap. Replacement engines, on the other hand aren't.
I was thinking about it. But after I read this thread, I kinda want to wait as long as possible!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:40 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

As I understand it there is an inspection hole that is easy to get to if you don't have A/C. I am sure Pendy or Matt can elaborate. I think it is on the the timing cover just in front of the IP. A/c compressor is in the way if you have a/c.

No problem Matt. Give me a bell or an email and let me know when you will be coming through Hotlanta. maybe we can at least meet for a beer or something.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
No problem Matt. Give me a bell or an email and let me know when you will be coming through Hotlanta. maybe we can at least meet for a beer or something.
yessir inddeed

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I was thinking about it. But after I read this thread, I kinda want to wait as long as possible!
It's not a bad job at all and seeing what you've done to your rig I wouldn't worry about the tech.

The "hard" miles wont worry it (the belt) unless you've filled the timing cover with dust, water, dirt. (I run a hose and filter non the "wading plug" hole so as to keep shit out). Service is more based on time, both operating and calendar. I'd change every 3yrs or 30k for extreme duty. I think this is factory reccomended. 5-6yrs 60-70k for normal use.

You can get a look at the inside of the timing cover by pulling the cover off the AC tensioner hole and seeing if there is a lot of belt residue which should get you an idea of the state of things.

I've seen some newish belts that have done everything but grate cheese and looked fine....... I've seen 10yr old belts with 4k miles on them break.....

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Changed a belt yesterday that had the new tensioner/idler and the old crank gear. The cover held it in place I guess. Silly Brits!

Not a job to rush through.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I am suppose to get my 300 tdi Disco back tomorrow with the timing issue resolved. Urban Land Cruisers in atlanta fixed it. timing was off by a tooth or so. Had to start fresh. He say it is all good no smoke drives good. We'll see. fingers crossed! thanks to all who offered advice.
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Great news
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I have seen on similar engines (2.5TD) where the IP has had some wear and tear on it, that when you reach the limit of timing adjustment you can actually jump a tooth and time it again. It works and extends the life of the pump quite a bit. I don't know if it was the case or not with yours but maybe ...

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

got her back, she runs like a champ again! Now just get the A/C blowing cold and I am am all good!
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Not trying to pour salt on a wound or anything, but any sort of 'refund' or partial return from the first mechanic that didn't get it right?
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:10 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

gonna work on that next week. ironically he is out of work at training! I am hoping he will give me back at least half because he did install a new water pump, p gasket, thermostat, and gasket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, problems, tdi