300tdi Timing Belt Change - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

300tdi Timing Belt Change

I'm due for a timing belt change. I have read all the pertinent threads related to this but I still can't decide if its likely that a mechanical novice like myself is likely to pull it off or if I should pay $1200-$1500 (includes radiator and intercooler cleaning) to have it done. The more I read, the more I worry about screwing it up even though everyone says its easy. Any other first timers out there have an opinion?

There's supposed to be a good diff lock article on changing the timing belt. Anyone have it? Search only revealed a bunch of forum discussions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2011, 11:55 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Just do it!
First time I did it I was nervous from all the BS online. It is really quite straight forward. Some sort of flywheel locking tool is necessary and the drill bit works fine for the IP. It is much easier with the rad out.

Are you changing any of the gears? or just the tentioner/pulley/belt?
I ask because I had a hell of a time getting the gear off to update it... worth planning a head for.

Just do it.

Edit:
I can find the diff lock article either... the manual is right on though.
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
theres a good series of youtube videos on it so you can visualize it!

------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2011 11:58 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
theres a good series of youtube videos on it so you can visualize it!
look at Trailfitter's videos

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks! I don't mind getting some proper tools to be safe. How about these: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...00-300tdi.aspx Also I bought the timing belt upgrade kit just in case it hadn't been done on mine yet. Is it hard to change the pulleys etc?

Rad would come out as I would like to clean it and the intercooler while I'm at it. Do I need to get a wrench where you can adjust the torque? There workshop manual has specs for how tight each bolt should be, right? I assume thats important?

I can't find the Diff Lock write up.

Which gears are you referring to, Steve? I don't think so. I'm only changing what is included in the timing belt upgrade kit.
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here's whats included in the timing belt upgrade kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STC4096L.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	44709  
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The upgrade kit changes two of the pulleys and a new tensioner and belt. You will need to get a pulley puller And figure a way to get a pin in the flywheel to lock it while you are putting on the new belt. Making sure that you have the proper tension and all the marks are lined up can be a bit fidgety but is simple once you have a few tricks. I also couldn't find the diff lock write up, strange found this one however, http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22319
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Couple of things to help your confidence level. Do pull the grill, rad & intercooler, exposing the whole face of the engine. Removing the front crank pulley is the hardest part of the job. Before you loosen the bolt put a spot of paint on the bolt and correspondingly with the pulley (to help know you tightened up about the same when you reassemble). I use a leather strap to hold the pulley and a 3/4" drive breaker bar & socket, and a 2lb sledge to loosen the bolt (hey... works for me) by wacking on the breaker bar. The paint spots here will help to let you know if it's coming loose. Once you have the front cover off, exposing the belt & gears, rotate the belt around until you can get a drill bit in the gear in the IP into the hole on the IP. No need to pin the fly-wheel or cam, the crank has an alignment point off to it's left side. NOW comes the confidence part. Paint spots on the belt and correspondingly on timing gears (IP, cam, Crank). Now you have absolute reference points on the belt & gears. Remove the old belt. Transfer the paint marks onto the new belt. If you're EXTRA paranoid (like me) count the teeth on the old & new belt between the paint marks to insure exact placement of the transfered spots. After replacing crank seal, reassemble.

One other thing, there are 2 different types of belt tensioner assemblies, which one you have depends on the age of your motor. To see the differences, look on Rovah Farms site. You may want to wait to buy the correct set until you actually see which type your motor has. If your crank drive doesn't have the lip on the gear (keeps the belt from wandering) you'll want the set that you show in post #5. The difference is, belt guide lip vs. no belt lip.

I've changed my belt twice now and there's no reason to replace the crank belt gear if yours is the type shown in the parts photo shown in post #5. When you go to re-tighten the main crank bolt, you'll now appreciate the previously applied paint spots on the pulley & bolt.
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
$1500 sounds excessive

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
$1500 sounds excessive
yeah, if I charged that much I might actually make some money.

I'm surprised how far out of time some motors are. A couple of degrees makes a big difference. It's really an easy job to change out a belt. A little bit harder to do a really good job at it.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It does and I would have provided all the parts. It was actually $1500-1800!

Aside from timing belt I had asked for:
• Install Timing Kit Upgrade and replace belt.
• Re-core Radiator
• Flush Turbo Intercooler.
• Replace Water Pump.
• Replace serpentine/fan belt tensioner.
• Change gear shifter oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
$1500 sounds excessive
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
or if I should pay $1200-$1500 (includes radiator and intercooler cleaning) to have it done.
It is not rocket science. I did it myself in a night with basic tools. Save yourself a thousand dollars or more
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Absolutely! I'm definitely doing it myself now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
It is not rocket science. I did it myself in a night with basic tools. Save yourself a thousand dollars or more
------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2011 05:18 PM ------

Thanks Dennis!

Is your last name really MacGyver?

Imagine that. I'm getting tech advice from a MacGyver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Couple of things to help your confidence level. Do pull the grill, rad & intercooler, exposing the whole face of the engine. Removing the front crank pulley is the hardest part of the job. Before you loosen the bolt put a spot of paint on the bolt and correspondingly with the pulley (to help know you tightened up about the same when you reassemble). I use a leather strap to hold the pulley and a 3/4" drive breaker bar & socket, and a 2lb sledge to loosen the bolt (hey... works for me) by wacking on the breaker bar. The paint spots here will help to let you know if it's coming loose. Once you have the front cover off, exposing the belt & gears, rotate the belt around until you can get a drill bit in the gear in the IP into the hole on the IP. No need to pin the fly-wheel or cam, the crank has an alignment point off to it's left side. NOW comes the confidence part. Paint spots on the belt and correspondingly on timing gears (IP, cam, Crank). Now you have absolute reference points on the belt & gears. Remove the old belt. Transfer the paint marks onto the new belt. If you're EXTRA paranoid (like me) count the teeth on the old & new belt between the paint marks to insure exact placement of the transfered spots. After replacing crank seal, reassemble.

One other thing, there are 2 different types of belt tensioner assemblies, which one you have depends on the age of your motor. To see the differences, look on Rovah Farms site. You may want to wait to buy the correct set until you actually see which type your motor has. If your crank drive doesn't have the lip on the gear (keeps the belt from wandering) you'll want the set that you show in post #5. The difference is, belt guide lip vs. no belt lip.

I've changed my belt twice now and there's no reason to replace the crank belt gear if yours is the type shown in the parts photo shown in post #5. When you go to re-tighten the main crank bolt, you'll now appreciate the previously applied paint spots on the pulley & bolt.
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Most of the items are easily done yourself on post #10.

Radiator, if you're not running hot, just rinse it out with water (I can NEVER get mine past past the half way point on the temp guage no matter how slow & steep I can go... and pulling a tent trailer).

Intercooler, put a pint of gas in, it shake it around, pour out, repeat, set in the sun to dry.

Water pump is easy to replace anytime. Keep a spare at home, on a trip, take it with you. With the serp off, try to wiggle it up & down, if it moves replace it. Mine was worn but not leaking, the pump vanes were rubbing the main housing. Still, keep a spare on hand you won't find one at NAPA on a road trip.

Belt tensioner. Bearing can fail. Replace the bearing yourself NAPA part # 6203-2RSJ. Again keep a spare. May take a little effort to get the snap ring out. Once it's out, file a end notch in it for the future R&R.

Gear shifter oil, well I have an auto-box.... you got MacGyver on that one.

My alternator is slowly going bad, alt lamp slightly glows at idle. The factory alternators are simple ones, AMR4249, Lucas A127, is actually an old Ford part #. Google: alternator A127. British Pacific $ 122.12, Atlantic British $199 (too much!!), RovahFarm, $169 for the AMR4249 (70amp), but I suspect the STC234 for $129 is the same, less 5 amps. Yes, I have a spare on hand.

Do these things, and you too can go through a last name change !! Upon completion, I'll send you the forms.
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's been about 8 years since engine install so that's why I'm replacing the parts mentioned as preventative maintenance. I'd like to clean the radiator. What should I use? The needle does move around on longer trips (2+ hours driving). Also, what coolant do you guys recommend? Have a favorite?
Quote:
Radiator, if you're not running hot, just rinse it out with water (I can NEVER get mine past past the half way point on the temp guage no matter how slow & steep I can go... and pulling a tent trailer).
Gas? If I don't have gas around the garage is there something better to use?
Quote:
Intercooler, put a pint of gas in, it shake it around, pour out, repeat, set in the sun to dry.
I have a spare. I was going to replace it as preventative maintenance and keep the old one as back up for travel.
Quote:
Water pump is easy to replace anytime. Keep a spare at home, on a trip, take it with you. With the serp off, try to wiggle it up & down, if it moves replace it. Mine was worn but not leaking, the pump vanes were rubbing the main housing. Still, keep a spare on hand you won't find one at NAPA on a road trip.
I just replaced the bearing since it was squealing. New one is fine except I had to ruin the circlip to get it out so the current one doesn't have one. I was going to replace it with a new tensioner and keep the old one for spare.
Quote:
Belt tensioner. Bearing can fail. Replace the bearing yourself NAPA part # 6203-2RSJ. Again keep a spare. May take a little effort to get the snap ring out. Once it's out, file a end notch in it for the future R&R.
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I've always used Prestone diluted to 50% with distilled water. I'd go buy a plastic 1 gallon gas can @ WalMart and use gas.
You know the US government now mandates that gas cans be child proof? Good thing, it was so hard to keep my kids from drinking that tasty stuff when I had a full can in the garage.
You could use some straight Simple Green to clean out your IC but you'll need to rinse thoroughly to get it all out.

Too bad about the circlip, that'll set your MacGyver status back awhile (I'll put the forms away....for now).
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Alternatives to gas: Naphtha, Toluene, Xylene, Brake Parts Cleaner, Carb Cleaner.

Any short-chain aromatic hydrocarbon. What you are doing is dissolving the oil in the IC, left there because of whatever passes through the turbo seals.
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Ed must be fun to have around at bonfires.

Quote:
Alternatives to gas: Naphtha, Toluene, Xylene, Brake Parts Cleaner, Carb Cleaner.

Any short-chain aromatic hydrocarbon. What you are doing is dissolving the oil in the IC, left there because of whatever passes through the turbo seals.
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

a lot of the oil in tdi intercoolers is coming from the crankcase air/oil seperator on the side of the head that doesn't work so well.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:06 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Ed must be fun to have around at bonfires.
I'd assume he's equally as good at spelling bee's and obscure word contests.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Tools are ordered. So far I got the aftermarket timing tools kit that includes:

Crankshaft Damper Puller.
Injection Pump Gear Locking Tool.
Injection Pump Timing Pin.
Flywheel Timing Tool.
EDC Timing Pin.

I also ordered a viscous fan wrench and Hylomar. Other than that are there any other specialty tools that I am missing? If I do upgrade the timing pulleys (if they are the old kind I will replace them) do I need a special tool for this? A "Pulley Puller"? Also, do you guys put Hylomar on the timing cover gasket when re-installing?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi