300tdi Timing Belt Change - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Compare the circ clip in the wrong tensioner, same size? If so, there's your answer.

If there is a wrecker in your area that has some D1'or D2's, the circ clip is probably the same might be able to salvage one from it. To free up the clip, wack the old bearing away from the clip, to help get the tention off of it. WD40 it to help loosen up the crud around it, basically as Judge Smails ( Caddy Shack ) would say, "be more careful next time".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Carl, I remembered, in a deep sleep or trance, how I got the circ clip started to get it out.

I took a cold chisel and sharpened it up real good on my belt sander and used the corner to nick it real good at the end with a ball peen hammer. That gave the edge in order to pry it out far enough to get a jewelers screw driver behind it to begin working it out.
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Everything is back together and now my water pump sounds like it is full of skittles. Is the bearing gone? I left the coolant system dry for a couple of weeks. I am wondering if that made the bearing give in? Its either the water pump or the alternator making a metallic ratting noise.
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:45 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Are you sure it is not the tensioner pulley? Mine will do that sometimes after sitting for a while.
How long did you let it run for?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:01 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My water pump made strange noises. I removed the belt, and there was alot of up and down play in it but it didn't leak so I ignored it until last summer. The noise was coming from the pump vanes rubbing the main cover housing under the tension of the belt. New pump solved that problem.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:02 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not sure but it seems to be coming from the far right side so water pump or alternator are my main suspects. It's not just a belt squeak but more of a metallic rattling and nothing is touching as far as I can see. I took it for a drive and it hasn't gone away.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:05 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I will take the belt off and check for play in the pump.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Take the serp belt off and start 'er up. How's the noise now? Check the play in the alt & WP now too (engine off), up & down, in & out, spin freely, any noise?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm pretty sure it isn't. I just changed the bearing on the tensioner. I drove it around for a bit and it remains. I will upload a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Are you sure it is not the tensioner pulley? Mine will do that sometimes after sitting for a while.
How long did you let it run for?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Take the belt off and check everything for play, and rotate all of the pulleys to see if anything feels odd. I did and my water pump was the culprit. I got one through the dealership for around $70 and had it the next day.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
With the belt off, if you spin the alternator pulley you should hear if it's making noise. This might help narrow it down. But my money is on the water pump too.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I tried uploading a sound file (M4A, iTunes) but wasn't allowed so here is a link.

It might provide helpful for you hear it for yourself. I will definitely remove belt and check all pulleys unfortunately I have a very busy week ahead and won't get to it until the weekend.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Your dealership has 300tdi water pumps? Our local dealership doesn't know what a 300tdi engine is and I was the first ever to inquire about a part for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Take the belt off and check everything for play, and rotate all of the pulleys to see if anything feels odd. I did and my water pump was the culprit. I got one through the dealership for around $70 and had it the next day.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Your dealership has 300tdi water pumps? Our local dealership doesn't know what a 300tdi engine is and I was the first ever to inquire about a part for it.
I work at the dealership. Land Rover keeps some 300 tdi parts in stock in their warehouses, but its really hit or miss. For example I couldn't get a fuel filter or lift pump because they are market specific, but for some reason they had water pumps in stock.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I made sure to top off coolant, removed the belt, started it up and the sound went away. No play or noise in any or the pulley when I rotate them by hand. I'm leaning towards replacing the pump anyway to eliminate that out of the equation. The only other suspect is the alternator. Are they known for making noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
With the belt off, if you spin the alternator pulley you should hear if it's making noise. This might help narrow it down. But my money is on the water pump too.
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Perhaps you need some pressure on them to induce the noise? If you can rig up a pulley on an electric drill, use that and a belt to spin each pulley individually while applying tension and see if you can reproduce it? Or put the belt back on and use a piece of rod as a stethoscope to pin-point the source of the noise - you should be able to touch one end against the waterpump or alternator and the other end to your ear and hear the noise. Otherwise I agree it can't hurt to change the waterpump, but it would suck if the noise remained
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I replaced the water pump and the noise is gone... at least for the moment. I will drive it to work tomorrow to make sure. The old pump is in good shape. Is it possible to replace the bearing on it?
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:54 PM
JimLR110
Jim Grady
1984 LR 110

Greetings. I put a few holes in my Flinger as you described. Did you replace it, put it back on with holes, or go without? Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi