300tdi Timing Belt Change - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
with the puller that uses the small 5mm bolts

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My timing kit didn't have 5MM so I bought 5MM threaded rods and used the puller.

Next. How do I get the oil seal out without scratching any of the surfaces? Looks like in addition to the oil seal there is also a large O-ring (ERR4710?) that i assume should be replaced?
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
The old crankshaft sprocket is really stuck in there. How do I remove it without completely destroying it?
I posted a thread on this a month or two ago. I couldn't find any 5mm bolts that were strong enough so I drilled it out and tapped it for 6mm (?) bolts that I already had with a puller set.
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The sprocket was easy once I got the 5MM threaded rods. Came right out and didn't have an issue with the strength. Now, the seal is giving me a hard time. Going to store to get an oil seal puller.
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Well I guess that concludes today's session as I ruined the only replacement oil seal I had available while trying to put it in. It appears that a dry seal is not the way to go. What should I lubricate it with? Grease? I'm going to have to order new seals from the UK. Does anyone have a ERR4575 handy that they could throw in the mail for me?

I got a Oil Seal Puller from the Auto store. I have to say that it is very difficult to remove the seal without denting the edge of the alloy casing. Not sure how you guys go about it. Is there a secret trick?
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Try the dealer first. It is funny what they have and what they do not for the 300. You could also try George at RDS or Stephen at Safari Heritage, for that matter Pendy might have one lying around.
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Try Trevor at RovahFarm, he told me he'd stock some. May take a phone call.

http://rovahfarm.com/

PS. RN probably has them but they're gonna beat you up pretty hard for a $2 item.
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The Stealership is not a bad idea. I will call them in the morning. I already placed an order from LR Series but if Trevor, etc can send a seal without charging me $10 in shipping then that would be the way to go.
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think I tried to get a crank seal and they were market specific. LRNA does stock 300 tdi water pumps though!
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
What should I lubricate it with? Grease?
Yes, completely coat the seal with grease. Also lubricate the shaft with grease. Synthetic, natural, or moly works. Do not use antisieze compound.

I once tried putting in a seal without grease, and it cut the seal lip. It ended up leaking worse than the old seal that I removed
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:11 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I think I tried to get a crank seal and they were market specific. LRNA does stock 300 tdi water pumps though!
Do you mean the dealership carries waterpumps for a 300Tdi? I find this incredible if I'm reading it right.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That's what I did. There is no way to get that in there without lube and they are fragile too!

Why lubricate the shaft? It doesn't seem like it would need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos

Yes, completely coat the seal with grease. Also lubricate the shaft with grease. Synthetic, natural, or moly works. Do not use antisieze compound.

I once tried putting in a seal without grease, and it cut the seal lip. It ended up leaking worse than the old seal that I removed
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I called this morning. The stealership in Portland doesn't carry anything related to diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

Do you mean the dealership carries waterpumps for a 300Tdi? I find this incredible if I'm reading it right.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Yep, Just got one from LR Richmond a couple weeks ago. The national inventory was getting low when I got mine. They had one or two left. Who knows if they mis-ordered or what, for why they had them. I had also checked on the long water pump bolts but they did not have them. Had to get them from the UK.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I posted a thread on this a month or two ago. I couldn't find any 5mm bolts that were strong enough so I drilled it out and tapped it for 6mm (?) bolts that I already had with a puller set.
The 5mm's I bought only came in a single thread pitch and were only available in cap/allen head grade 8.
Did you find a starter Jimmy ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Why lubricate the shaft? It doesn't seem like it would need it.
I do it because I always end up touching the seal against the shaft as it goes on - no need to grease the whole shaft, just the part that the seal touches.
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I do it because I always end up touching the seal against the shaft as it goes on - no need to grease the whole shaft, just the part that the seal touches.
Ummm...."that's what she said"?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 5th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
I called this morning. The stealership in Portland doesn't carry anything related to diesel.
Did you call PDXRovers or Columbia?

When I was looking for an LR4, the guys at LR Portland weren't much help at all, for anything.
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

George @ RDS to the rescue. I will have a seal in hand Friday and only $5 shipping. George is the man!

I didn't bother with Columbia or PDX as they haven't been very diesel friendly in the past. In fact, I've never been to PDX Rovers. I contacted them once and never heard back so that was the end of that. Shipman is the only one I trust with diesels.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Shipman is the only one I trust with diesels.
We'll have to talk about this soon enough, I'll send you a message!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi