300Tdi Thermostat Housing Temperature VS Gauge - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
What thermostat have you got in the truck? They come in lots of variants and I've even had the wrong one in a box. Land rovers run one that isn't commonly available in autozone / napa.

Basically a thermostats job is to keep the engine warm .. When its open the radiator should cool the system very quickly. The fan should only kick in when its been worked hard and the radiator alone is not sufficient.

Important things to know. If the cooling system doesn't pressurize then its cooling ability is severely impacted. Make sure your hoses firm up under normal operations conditions.

Radiators get blocked and less efficient. With the vehicle warmed up check that the top and bottom of the rad have the same temp. If the bottom is cooler it's probably blocked and needs a recore. After 16 years yours may be due for a service.

if your fan is cutting in regularly it would indicate that the cooling efficiency isn't up to par. This could be a mismatch between fan and thermostat ( if the thermostat opens too high then it will always trigger the fan ) or that your radiator cooling isn't sufficient or the system isn't pressurizing properly.

Test your expansion bottle cap for a good seal and pressure test the cooling system with a pressure tester ( borrowed free from autozone )
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2013, 04:53 PM
defeyago
Santiago
´96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
radiator instead has never been touched in 16 years...I guess I'll have it properly cleaned as soon as possible.
That´s the way to go in order to better those numbers a little bit...

Abrazo,
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
´94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Thanks, and sorry for the little hijack

P.S.
Quote:
What thermostat have you got in the truck?
Me? I have no idea...never touched it.
I'll find out soon though...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Thanks, and sorry for the little hijack

P.S.

Me? I have no idea...never touched it.
I'll find out soon though...
The standard is the 88 degree C. My original was made by Waxstat.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question

And then..........

The needle has been hitting 100° and beyond during the last trips

So last weekend we took the Cube out for a test, carrying along an IR gun we borrowed.
Of course the temp was pretty normal all time ,
we tried the IR gun and it pretty matches the gauge, so at least I know the values are true (give or take a couple of degrees probably).

On the way back, I stopped by the mechanic and we changed the thermostat with a brand new, original one (by the way, 88° type).
I took the motorway and the temp stayed pretty much on 95° for 2/3 of the trip,
and then suddenly, while cruising quietly at 85 Km/h, went to 100° and beyond.
Then I pulled one side, bonnet open, and I let it cool off a little.
On the last leg of the trip (+40 Km) it stuck to 100° and basically never went below

Tonight (it's 2AM right now) I went out with some mates, I left the parking lot (almost cold engine) and saw a girl home, I slightly throttled a gear on a hill and the temp did again hit the 100°. On the way back (fresh and cold outside) I went really slow to help it cool off, and instead it passed 100° again. Again I pulled one side and opened the bonnet for a few mins. Then went home with the needle firmly stuck on 100° while driving at 50 Km/h!
I tried different speeds to notice any change, but no change at all.

One thing I noticed though, is that if I turn the heater on, all the way to the red, the needle/temp tends to go higher ;
shouldn't it be the other way? Pushing hot water to circulate shouldn't dissipate heat faster??

I found a radiator I can borrow for a test.
We'll make the swap one of the following weekends and see if anything changes.

If it doesn't, I don't know what to think...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

As far as the heater core, hot water is always flowing through it. The "heat" lever simply directs fresh air over the core & into the cab or not.

Right now I am running a custom built 95*C thermostat. I have not seen my gauge get to 98*C. At 100* C I'd be concerned too.

When I was running the 88*C t-stat my temp's seemed to run very close to 88*C. Never moved at all.

Do you have a fan with a viscous coupler? Maybe the viscous is bad.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:44 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I had serious issues getting my VDO gauge to work in my 200tdi finally went mechanical VDO, same price, always accurate, more peace of mind. As for the T stat, I had issues there as well and have learned to test them right out of the box in a pot of hot water (learned from my grandfather who was British and a mechanic and taught me to test everything before using it due to issues with quality control) with a thermometer (I use my multi meter w temp probe). I just got a new T stat that didnt open at all (Trevor at Rovahfarm sent a replacement tout suite). I had similar issue though.. Heating up in short distances and never cooling back down. Everything is good now (I also found an Izuzu 82C t stat so I have full cooling early as it is routinely 100F with hills where I live and I have AC).
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
New coupler, replaced last summer...
And the VDO seems to be fairly accurate after the test with the IR gun...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:04 PM
defeyago
Santiago

Registry
Water always flows through heater core but it actually cools down the engine when you open the passage of fresh air through it. If you close the heater lever then it won´t cool the engine. Your problem (I bet) is the radiator core beeing clogged.

Abrazo!
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Well the heater thing hinted there could be some electric issue with the ground (so the mechanic suggested and my mate who wired the gauge too)...so today pulled the instruments "house" and he found out there was a poor ground (of no ground at all).
We ran a cable and he grounded everything to the engine through an existing bolt.

In these days I'll keep an eye on it, and we'll head to the Alps before the weekend,
so plenty of kms to drive and different conditions (from hot motorway up to the trails > 10'000 ft).
I'll keep it monitored, and if it plays silly again, I'll swap the radiator.

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quick update: we checked the VDO gauge and the ground was poor/non existent, so we ran a new wire straight to the engine.
I covered 1000 Km in the last 4 days to and from the Alps, hitted 10'000ft. on the trail and drove up steep mountain ascents on tarmac, even in 4th gear the water temp now never goes beyond 95° and usually is on 92° (well by eye), so I'd believe problem solved

But...I checked the levels the day after my return, oil was fine but water level was 1 "finger" below the mark

I topped up and covered around 30 km yesterday.
Today I checked again, and again is below the mark for the same amount

I'll keep an eye on it, but now I don't know what to think... it's been perfect since we changed the head gasket and never sweated again! Block is still dry, temp ok...

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Quick update: we checked the VDO gauge and the ground was poor/non existent, so we ran a new wire straight to the engine.
I covered 1000 Km in the last 4 days to and from the Alps, hitted 10'000ft. on the trail and drove up steep mountain ascents on tarmac, even in 4th gear the water temp now never goes beyond 95° and usually is on 92° (well by eye), so I'd believe problem solved

But...I checked the levels the day after my return, oil was fine but water level was 1 "finger" below the mark

I topped up and covered around 30 km yesterday.
Today I checked again, and again is below the mark for the same amount

I'll keep an eye on it, but now I don't know what to think... it's been perfect since we changed the head gasket and never sweated again! Block is still dry, temp ok...

Get a pressure tester and pressurize the system and look for leaks ... I did it last weekend and found a tiny dripping under pressure. I would never have noticed it otherwise as it was dripping onto the block and evaporating ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:56 PM
defeyago
Santiago

Registry
Hi Michelle. How this turned out finally?

Abrazo!
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, thermostat